Bible/Church people knocked on my door followed shortly by some scum - Page 2

Bible/Church people knocked on my door followed shortly by some scum

This is a discussion on Bible/Church people knocked on my door followed shortly by some scum within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I'm just the suspicious type (retired leo) but I wouldn't put much stock in the "church people" not being a part of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Bible/Church people knocked on my door followed shortly by some scum

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I guess I'm just the suspicious type (retired leo) but I wouldn't put much stock in the "church people" not being a part of the team. I don't believe in coincidence.Let us know if you hear back from the church.smile:
    CLASS3NH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mbguy29577 View Post
    Most of the church people are well dressed and clean...
    Well, I'm "Church People" and I know, for certain, that God couldn't care less about clean & well dressed. But if I had a larcenous heart & was running this scam, you can bet that everyone would be clean & well-dressed. Folks are getting smarter about home defense, so criminals have to get smarter as well. Be safe!
    accessbob, DMan and OnePlink like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have a "No Solicitors" sign next to my door bell that means nothing to the Saturday morning Church Solicitors.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Southern Indiana but have a permanent residence in South Coastal Texas
    We have to be careful here at the apartments I manage. We are just about 9 miles from a University and we get creeps posing as college kids trying to raise money. The stories range from "trying to get money for overseas trip to study" to "my Grandma died and I need to go home to take care of funeral". You can tell they are imposters and I usually say just one minute, shut the door, and call the cops. Had a few taken away that way. Once I had been to the range and was cleaning the guns I took that day and opened the door with a .45 acp in my hand. The kid took off saying whoops-- wrong address. Anyway, yes, I do believe they were sizing you up and you acted properly.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have"--- Thomas Jefferson, 1778.

Actually I did hear back from the Church on Monday. I guess they have a church member who is on the local PD, as well as on their "evangelism safety committee" (or something like that), and they asked him what they should do. I was invited down to their office I can tell them in more detail what happened. I don't know why, but I went. I was expecting some "get saved" message, but not a single bit of the conversation was geared towards that. One of the gentleman I talked with was actually one of the two men first men that knocked on my door. I guess he is the head of their "door knockers" program (they didn't call it by that name). Anyway, I described again, what happened and they were very concerned, about it. They said they were concerned for the safety of the homes and residents of the people they go to, as well as the safety of their "knockers" as well.

Anyway, I relayed what happened and left - probably won't hear anything else.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Nice work. Glad it worked out for you.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I have a "No Solicitors" sign next to my door bell that means nothing to the Saturday morning Church Solicitors.
    Solicit implies trying to sell you something. What the "church people" as you call them are offering is, in fact, very free indeed (though paid for all at the same time).
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Interesting scam. You did a good job with the entire situation.

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    I guess I'm just the suspicious type (retired leo) but I wouldn't put much stock in the "church people" not being a part of the team. I don't believe in coincidence.Let us know if you hear back from the church.smile:
    I'm not retired LE so maybe I'm missing the big picture. If the "church people" were involved in the scam wouldn't they signal the other 2 that there was someone and don't go there? To me the purpose of the "church people" is to find out if someone is home and the scum follow up on the empty house.

Maybe I'm too nice but my thought is the scum saw an opportunity to follow the church people and the church peoples' SA was non existent. I'm thinking the church people weren't part of it. It's actually a pretty good idea from a scum thinkers point of view - grab a brochure left on a door or dropped and follow behind a distance to see what houses were empty without having to come up with a ruse to do their own knocking. They probably missed when DMan answered the door.

I'm glad the church followed up with you DMan and that you took he time to talk to them. Hopefully they weren't aware/involved and will be more aware in the future.
    Truckinbutch and JDE101 like this.

It sounds to me like the second two picked up a brochure the first guys left at an empty home and were using it as cover to try jimmying a door. I wonder if they had already broken into the first house where they picked up the brouchure from.

Sounds like the scumbags were following the church folks discreetly. If they were in consorts, why would they knock on your door after the church folks left your home? You had already alerted them to your prescence

Quote Originally Posted by mbguy29577 View Post
    Most of the church people are well dressed and clean. Sounds fishy to me..
    Let me break it down for you,the First 2 guys sound like they are the Jehovak's Witness people that ride around on bikes in pairs to promote their beliefs/ministry.
    The Second pair sound like a couple of guys looking to break into houses and used one of the first 2 guys Brochures as a BS cover if somebody answered the door in a house they were planning on breaking into....hope that helped
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    Very interesting scheme, good for all to be alert. Usually don't answer the door at all though unless its a known person.
    +1 I think you got the MO right. Excellent notifing LEO. I have a locked gate. Someone taps my door, I will set off my alarm!

I have respect for the religious beliefs of the people who go door to door.
    But, most of them seem to not understand what the vast majority of us take as
    normal privacy.

I keep my home fenced and gated (with an automatic gate opener).
    One time, as I pulled through my gate, a group of Jehovah's Witness's followed my car through.

I had some time on my hands (and was in my SUV), so I pulled forward past my detached garage and drove away through the back gate on my 10 acres.
    Ran a few errands, and came home about 1 hour later.
    They were still there, trapped in their car as they didn't trust the disposition of my dogs.

I played dumb about not seeing them there, and suggested next time they might want to try the intercom.
    They didn't even preach to me as they left.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links