Bible/Church people knocked on my door followed shortly by some scum

This is a discussion on Bible/Church people knocked on my door followed shortly by some scum within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just this morning, two very nice gentleman knocked on my door and tried to provide me some religious brochures and other information. I didn't open ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Bible/Church people knocked on my door followed shortly by some scum

Just this morning, two very nice gentleman knocked on my door and tried to provide me some religious brochures and other information. I didn't open the door all the way, because of my dogs, and just spoke to them through the screen door. My dogs were excited but quiet and controllable and without disrespect, I sent the gentleman on their way. The interaction was quick, and if you didn't see the main door open you might not realize I ever answered the door.

Maybe 10-15 minutes later, I had another knock on the door and my dogs went NUTS, barking and jumping all over the place to get to the door. This time it was two guys probably in early 20's smoking, and looking like they haven't showered in 3 days. I was at the door immediately since I saw them coming. The surprise on their face appeared to me as if they were thinking "OMG someone is home" and one was obviously scared of the dogs (had taken 2 or three steps back down the steps). When I answered, one stammered something and tried to hand me the same brochure that the previous gentleman had tried to give me. I told them to please leave my property immediately and they left faster than they walked up to my door.

Does anyone see this as the second set of guys potentially following these church gentleman, letting them figure out who is home, and who isn't then following quickly behind to do their deed?

I did call it in and shortly I saw a police officer patrolling the area. I also called the church that the original men were from and left a message telling them what just happened.

I have heard reports of break-ins in the area that are happening during the day, and am wondering if there is a connection.

Yes, I was armed.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Very very interesting. Way to pay attention and not be one of the sheeple. I'm sure the police appreciate the heads up as well. All it takes is one observant citizen to foil crime. Stay safe.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can clearly see who's at my door, so I tend to answer a knock. Bible thumpers ar common here and get the quick, "Not interested, have a nice day." Others get closer scrutiny. Both get the same preparation.
    ws76133 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Smart tactic, if you think about it.

It's leveraging the lookout/screen up ahead, to warn of danger. The apparent crooks can watch to see what happens with two well-dressed, ostensibly upstanding folk coming to a door, gauging the delay as an indicator of whether someone was home, and then going after those homes where it's a good bet nobody was there. Better than knocking and being seen at most homes. They can filter out most of the homes where someone's already there.

Thanks for the heads-up. Haven't seen this one, myself, but it doesn't surprise me in the least.
    tcox4freedom and Bark'n like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good thing you were home to foil those crooks plans. I'm glad it ended well. Good call notifying the police.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I think your theory could be right. If you didn't step out the door, or open it much, they probably thought no one was home from where they were watching from.

I do have a question if you can remember any details like this, what was the body language of the first 2 men who came up? If you were watching them from the side and from a distance, would you be able to tell that they were speaking to somebody, or could it have just looked like they were standing and waiting for someone to answer the door?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Definitely,SOP for these dirt bags.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Very interesting scheme, good for all to be alert. Usually don't answer the door at all though unless its a known person.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I think your theory could be right. If you didn't step out the door, or open it much, they probably thought no one was home from where they were watching from.

I do have a question if you can remember any details like this, what was the body language of the first 2 men who came up? If you were watching them from the side and from a distance, would you be able to tell that they were speaking to somebody, or could it have just looked like they were standing and waiting for someone to answer the door?
    Their body language to me was totally innocent, they didn't talk to anybody but themselves, I saw them pull up across the street, gather up some of their "literature" and get out and started going down one side and then back up my side of the street. They knocked, I heard them say "it is Bible based" etc etc, and I invited them to continue down the street.

There is a tree by our front door, so the way the front door and the screen door are laid out tree there you can't tell the front door was opened. If they were observing from the west end, no, they would not be able see the if they talked to someone (me) through the screen door since the tree blocks that view. If they were looking from the east end, then they might have been able to tell that they briefly talked to me.

I really don't think that the two "missionaries" knew anything about the guys behind them.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Most of the church people are well dressed and clean. Sounds fishy to me..
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Interesting, but also smart, and something I will remember, since my area has many church door-to-door knockers... Easy way to see if someone is home or not.

Glad to read that all worked out for you.

When anyone comes a knocking at my house they without hesitation will have the hair on their body stand on end when greeted by my dog BUSTER. That good old boy is a land shark.

"Good boy Buster, now give the nice man his leg back"!
    crossfireltd, DMan and olhippy like this.

They two dirt bags were looking to see if anyone was home and using the "we're church guys" as a ruse.

This is what happend in my neighbourhood when we had a burglary. Reports of two scruffy looking guys knocking on doors and running when someone appeared to be home.

They targeted our house when we were gone to church on a Sunday evening putting on a play with the church kids.

You were smart in calling the cops. The dirtbags would probably have come back when you were gone.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Thanks for sharing this. One more item for my mental checklist.

You did all you could have/should have done.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links