Good Samaritan video with happy ending...

This is a discussion on Good Samaritan video with happy ending... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A great video with a happy ending..... May we all be as willing to extend assistance to an officer in need.... ....Now for the inevitable ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Samaritan video with happy ending...

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar

Good Samaritan video with happy ending...

A great video with a happy ending.....

May we all be as willing to extend assistance to an officer in need....

....Now for the inevitable "armchair quarterbacking"

http://www.flurl.com/item/Good_Samar...e_Cop_u_196767
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

2. Remove Ads

well besides getting thrown off a bit by some of the things that were said like "he pulled the trigger" "it jammed" and "he kept the gun cocked" I think he did a good job. Not really the way I would have handled it personally but I'm glad that he helped an officer in need and that it all turned out OK in the end. Could have ended a LOT worse though.

Whenever I see a video like this for the first time I always try to think (while it's happening) how I would react. Then analize my decision later. I try to come up with an answer right then and there because that's how it would be.

I would like some more info on the background of what actually happened though...was the trigger actually pulled all the way? What kind of malfunction happened if so.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    good vid , no monday morning qb here , officer needed help and got it end of story , reasons are not the issue , results are .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    good vid , no monday morning qb here , officer needed help and got it end of story , reasons are not the issue , results are .
    Well said RR.....
    My point exactly....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - RR nails that.

The late stage ''pinning lady'' sure made some difference too
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I don't recall that ever being in our paper, as we are about 20 miles from Linden.

But glad to know we have some good folks in this neck of the woods. It looks like the guy got a Carnegie Hero Fund Commission award for helping out.

http://www.carnegiehero.org/pdfs/04marNR_1.pdf

I could not help however laughing a bit when the woman came up and layed on the perp to keep him down. You got to admit that was funny.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

lol chris yep , and let me say tounge in cheek if she sat on me like that ... well i would go peacefully too

oO( I know ... I know ... BADDD REDNECK , NO BUDWEISER )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

well done by all as far as I can see and crackhead waas luck someone else didn't show up first or it could have been a trip to the morge instead.

Good vid - Bad gun defense, glad it worked!

Short of divine intervention, it seems unlikely that the gun jammed - Do officers carry condition III? Are there rules/regs regarding this?

On the misfire issue , ill bet that the trigger did get pulled , but due to the struggle the slide was slightly out of battery and the disconecter did its job .

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Good job on the part of the bystanders. Glad everything worked out ok and no one was seriously injured or shot.

Just a note about situational awareness.
    Did anyone else notice the 2nd person in the suspects vehicle? While all this is going on they just stayed in the car. This second person could have changed the whole situation.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

VIP Member
    Good job by the unarmed good guy but...

If I see an officer fighting with someone over their gun... a contact shot to the BG's head will end it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Just an observation:
    I think this is a reenactment.
    Aside from the movements looking staged, the "dashboard" camera is moving and changing focus.
    Dashboard cameras are fixed and don't move. This video's camera perspective is moving and changing focus.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Good on Mr. Coughlan, and on the woman who also assisted.

That officer needs some SERIOUS RETRAINING, in my layman's opinion. Her effort in the beginning of the fight was nothing short of pathetic... like two fourth-graders fighting over a can of Yoohoo or something, for all the technique she put into it.

I can't help but notice that Mr. Coughlan's grip on the Glock later on did not seem like that of someone proficient in handgun use. He had his weak-hand's index finger pointed along the frame like he must have seen on television or in the movies.

What was all that malarkey about how "the 9mm Glock is loaded, but miraculously 'JAMS'"? What, the trigger stuck when the perp tried to pull it? What kind of failure are they trying to describe, here?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    This is "tactical scenarios." There is nothing wrong with discussing what was done wrong or right by anyone involved.

I seriously think that the officer demonstrated a deficiency in her training that should be addressed. Why just stop the discussion at, "Whew! Glad no one was hurt!"?

As far as reenactment is concerned, and the camera moving and zooming.
    I suspect that the motion and zooming that you see was done later when the footage was transposed for the broadcast, narrated television show on which this clip aired. It's called "pan and scan" in some circles. They zoomed and edited to focuse the viewer's attention on what is germane. Makes for far better video than a stationary camera shot would. If the camera was stationary and they didn't pan and zoom, they probably would have done that thing where they darken everything and leave a light circle around the stuff you should be paying attention to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links