Non-CCW permit wife shoots for me

This is a discussion on Non-CCW permit wife shoots for me within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by shoottolive I rear carry and have CCW permit. The reason I rear carry is if a bad guy asks for my wallet ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Non-CCW permit wife shoots for me

Quote Originally Posted by shoottolive View Post
    I rear carry and have CCW permit. The reason I rear carry is if a bad guy asks for my wallet and I reach back like I'm getting my wallet. But really I'm reaching for my weapon and hopefully suprise him. Now like many of you I run scenarios thru my head. I thought of one. And would like some feed back. I told my wife the other day if we ever have a gun pulled on "us". The first thing I'm going to do is put her behind me. I told her that as soon as I go to hand the bad guy my wallet. i want her to draw my gun and shoot from underneath my arm. Hopefully with the bad guy destracted by the free money he is about to get he wont see the weapon. Now is this even legal ? Since she is not a CCW permit holder (I'm working on that). Can she draw my weapon and us it. Also if done correctly do you think this can be effective.
    While this would be perfectly legal in South Carolina, I doubt I would try it. SO many things go on during something like this, and it would take alot of practice to get it right. Not to mention the BG already has the drop on you. Its easy to practice this against a target, but when you have a RL scenario, what happens if you wife is nervous, or scared. she could shoot you, miss the BG and both of you get hit. he could see her try it and fire. So many things could happen to where I wouldnt even begin to try this tactic.

Of course I would not recommend carrying at the position anyways, although the choice is yours.

2. Remove Ads

Instead of commenting on your tactic, I want to urge you to be aware of your surroundings and react when you know something's not right. As a few others have said, a face to face, close quarters encounter with an armed criminal is a bad spot, even if you have a handgun. Someone approaching you, with no good reason to do so, is a threat. Avoid them. Move away. Verbally challenge them while they're still a good distance away. If they want to push it, make them tip their hand from a distance, preferably with cover between you and them.

I don't want to sound like I'm discouraging scenario based training/planning, but accepting a close quarters, arms length gun battle as inevitable is very close to planning to fail.

Get your wife a ccw permit and let her carry also. Problem solved. :)
    tcox4freedom and Spirit51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    Get your wife a ccw permit and let her carry also. Problem solved. :)
    Thank You!

I can't believe it took three pages to get to this advice though. I know my wife wont be using my gun because she'll have hers out & TCB baby.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Thank You!

I can't believe it took three pages to get to this advice though. I know my wife wont be using my gun because she'll have hers out & TCB baby.
    That's what my wife said immediately. We tried to pratice this with my empty carry piece and my normal holster, etc. She determined after the first attempt that she'd be more than happy to get behind me, but would rather we both were shooting back, not just her.

I do love my woman.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakor View Post
    That's what my wife said immediately. We tried to pratice this with my empty carry piece and my normal holster, etc. She determined after the first attempt that she'd be more than happy to get behind me, but would rather we both were shooting back, not just her.

I do love my woman.
    thanks for at least trying it out.

Sorry to make my first post on here both the awakening of an old dead thread and also a bit of a rant (been reading this forum for a long time...but to date never heard anything quite this stupid to make me actually say something).

Do you believe this is some game where once the bullet strikes the robber, he is not allowed to shoot back? When a gun is pointed at you with a finger on the trigger and an enormously loud noise goes off in front of the person holding it at the same time that he sees a flash of light and possibly notices the pain of a bullet wound...what do you think the likely next action in the sequence of events will be? If you answered that he squeezes the trigger, you're our big winner! This is not the damned movies, they do not fall dead the moment a bullet hits them in the gut. Now you've got a wounded robber in close quarter to you, with every motivation to kill or be killed, your wife is behind you catching every bullet that tears through you, and she's got her beloved husband between her and the guy she's trying to kill to save her own life (about the least effective position that the shooter on your side can be in). Not to mention you're not exactly creating a plan where you're free of each other as obstructions and shooting while moving, you are now a point blank range static target that is stacked where one hit very likely tears through two people, and where you've severely limited your ability to shoot back. Sound like a good way to take multiple bullets to you? Because it does to me.

Getting the first bullet on target in a fight only means you win if you manage to not get shot immediately after that. Putting yourself into a situation where both you and your wife will almost surely be shot, likely multiple times, the moment after you get that first shot on target is SLIGHTLY counterproductive to what getting the first bullet on target is supposed to accomplish!

"Mall ninja" is the thing that comes to mind when I read this. If, as you say, you're willing to risk yourself because your wife is there: it would be FAR better to tell your wife to break away from you the moment she sees you put your hand on the pistol instead of the wallet, and take your own chances doing the close range double death dance with the robber, giving you equally dismal chances as before (well, actually slightly better chances, since you can maneuver a bit and MOVE to try to not get shot), but giving her significantly higher chances.

The bad guy with a gun is using it to intimidate the victim to follow his instructions. He has to go through a thought process to recognize the victim is armed, and shooting before he knows what is happening.

Or, once he gets the wallet, car keys, or whatever he is going to shoot anyway to get rid of witnesses. Hope I never have to make the choice, but I have the intention to shoot when they are not expecting it. Draw and fire without any hesitation. I really don't want to die with a holstered gun that might have saved my life.

I think the tactic would require too much manipulation behind you and the BG would realize something is up. Who knows.

Drawing from the drop you are already behind the 8 ball, and even after someone is shot they are likely to still get a few rounds off unless you get a direct CNS hit (which is unlikely).

That said, if someone has a gun on me then I don't want to be the person that gets shot AFTER complying with their demands. That happens too often. I don't want to die at the hands of a BG with my gun still in its holster. Kind of like baseball, bottom of the 9th tying run on 3rd and winning run on 2nd, 2 outs and 2 strikes...you want to go down swinging. You don't want that last pitch getting by you with the bat on your shoulder.

So, I'm somewhat conflicted in rationale.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by highorder View Post
    $20 says she shoots you in the back.
    If she hasn't already...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Better to get her moving away from the line of fire and you be responsible for drawing and if necessary shooting.
    Just my opinion, but yup, that's the way I see it, too. I've always told my wife if she sees something happening and thinks I may be about to defend us, get as far away from me as possible - never stay directly behind me.
    BadgerJ likes this.

This has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever read on a gun forum.

Sound like a great way to get shot in the chest and back at the same time.

I've told my wife to move sideways away from me and the gun man as quickly as possible.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Divide post count by days since joining and learn something about the poster

Allowing your wife to draw IMO is very dangerous and assumes you will be able to stand perfectly still. Its my guess no encounter will go as planned.

Maybe a better option, move your wallet to your left pocket, keep your wife on the left, toss it to the right, wife runs away, you move right, (get off the x) draw and fire if necessary.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Divide post count by days since joining and learn something about the poster

So, today, we've resurrected two older threads. This one, and the one Rock and Glock linked to on page one of this thread (which I responded to in that thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It's going to be very hard to draw against the drop and survive. The likelihood is very low. There's a recent thread floating around here discussing that exact consideration, maybe someone can come up with the link. The two suggestions in the other link require an explosive action on your part, physically throwing yourself into the assailant while securing his shooting hand down and out. The other required more dexterity, but again was very physical. Both are very high risk. And ostensibly for a wallet?

Here is the thread referenced. Read this entire thread very carefully. Read it again.

ACTION vs REACTION Live Fire Video Demo - Stunning Results
    I would not want my wife behind me. I would want her away from me. Though at first, I may move to put myself between her and the BG, I want her to skedaddle. And she ain't going for my gun, either... I'll have it in hand.

Things get more complicated when there are 2 potential victims. No need to complicate them more by having the two victims attempt to interact in some odd ballet where victim two takes victim one's gun and shoots the BG. If victim 2 is able to engage on their own in support, great... but otherwise the bodyguard deals with the threat.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links