Non-CCW permit wife shoots for me

This is a discussion on Non-CCW permit wife shoots for me within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I rear carry and have CCW permit. The reason I rear carry is if a bad guy asks for my wallet and I reach back ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Non-CCW permit wife shoots for me

I rear carry and have CCW permit. The reason I rear carry is if a bad guy asks for my wallet and I reach back like I'm getting my wallet. But really I'm reaching for my weapon and hopefully suprise him. Now like many of you I run scenarios thru my head. I thought of one. And would like some feed back. I told my wife the other day if we ever have a gun pulled on "us". The first thing I'm going to do is put her behind me. I told her that as soon as I go to hand the bad guy my wallet. i want her to draw my gun and shoot from underneath my arm. Hopefully with the bad guy destracted by the free money he is about to get he wont see the weapon. Now is this even legal ? Since she is not a CCW permit holder (I'm working on that). Can she draw my weapon and us it. Also if done correctly do you think this can be effective.
    tony1990 and HunterKelli like this.

2. Remove Ads

Fla
    As far as a CCW problem, she is not doing the CCW. As far as drawing and using it, ya got me but I would think that if there was no legal reason for her to not have a weapon you might skin by but I would check with the state or a legal beagle.
    Having said that, if she is behind you and she tries to draw it (assuming you are right handed ) she will have to draw it with her left hand and even then it will be backwards to the holster as wallet holsters are designed to be drawn palm in. Could be very awkward. I would think it would be faster and less awkward to draw it yourself. I use the wallet myself for my 380 BUG.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

$20 says she shoots you in the back.
    darbo, DMan, pittypat21 and 22 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by highorder View Post
    no kidding, thats the scenario that went through MY head reading OP LOL
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

See no legal problem since self defense is self defense ccw or not and shes not carrying it. No different than if you got shot she managed to grab your gun and shoot the BG.
    But I put another 20 in the pot that in the stress of things she either blows your arm off or shoots you in the back

VIP Member
    All perfectly safe, legal, and tactically sound. Of course, I am just anonymous words on the internet.
    Sarge65 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Fla
    Practice with snap caps and see how it goes.
    sdprof and surefire7 like this.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

It's going to be very hard to draw against the drop and survive. The likelihood is very low. There's a recent thread floating around here discussing that exact consideration, maybe someone can come up with the link. The two suggestions in the other link require an explosive action on your part, physically throwing yourself into the assailant while securing his shooting hand down and out. The other required more dexterity, but again was very physical. Both are very high risk. And ostensibly for a wallet?

Here is the thread referenced. Read this entire thread very carefully. Read it again.

ACTION vs REACTION Live Fire Video Demo - Stunning Results
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; January 26th, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Aside from all else, why would you want to subject your wife to the aftermath (and all it entails) of a self defense shooting?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I wouldnt want to take a life over a wallet. Now, if there is "iminent danger" to my life or others, thats a different story.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Placing yourself in between two shooters seems like a exponential opportunity to fail and do it in a grand scale.

You seem to forget that during an adrenaline dump both shooters are not going to be doing a smooth three count between shots and sight alignment is going to be non existent. Better to get her moving away from the line of fire and you be responsible for drawing and if necessary shooting. If she's behind you she no longer has a clear view of the situation and could do far more harm than good if the bad guy doesn't follow the script that YOU believe will happen.

This would be far more likely to work on a movie or tv show.
    perfection and Spirit51 like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by shoottolive View Post
    I rear carry and have CCW permit. The reason I rear carry is if a bad guy asks for my wallet and I reach back like I'm getting my wallet. But really I'm reaching for my weapon and hopefully suprise him. Now like many of you I run scenarios thru my head. I thought of one. And would like some feed back. I told my wife the other day if we ever have a gun pulled on "us". The first thing I'm going to do is put her behind me. I told her that as soon as I go to hand the bad guy my wallet. i want her to draw my gun and shoot from underneath my arm. Hopefully with the bad guy destracted by the free money he is about to get he wont see the weapon. Now is this even legal ? Since she is not a CCW permit holder (I'm working on that). Can she draw my weapon and us it. Also if done correctly do you think this can be effective.
    Some posts bother me a bit. He said if they ever had a gun pulled on them. If a gun has pulled on them its no longer about a wallet. Unless your a mind reader at the point the gun is drawn you have no idea if you give the wallet the nut wont shoot you anyway.
    Granted drawing against the drop is a risky deal. If your gonna plan something to do in tandem it might be better to have her fake a heart attack to get the guys attention when you reach back. No guarantees but it would up your odds a lil since it would be unexpected by the BG.
    Snub44, Spirit51 and chandler4228 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I wouldnt want to take a life over a wallet. Now, if there is "iminent danger" to my life or others, thats a different story.
    I don't want to kill anyone over a wallet either. If its just me whatever. But the fact that my wife is there changes the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Aside from all else, why would you want to subject your wife to the aftermath (and all it entails) of a self defense shooting?
    Because we would both be alive. I'm not all for shooting anyone. if it was just me I'd hand the wallet over and take my chances. .
    With her there things change. Id rather her go to counseling than be dead

Quote Originally Posted by highorder View Post

I'll take my chances. Thanks for the feedback just thought I'd throw the scenario out there. Hopefully never has to happen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links