Defensive Carry banner

Does anybody carry a BUW? (Yes a BUW, not a BUG).

6K views 69 replies 48 participants last post by  commonground 
#1 ·
Does anyone carry a back-up Wallet?

Recently I observed a short class that I have my issues with, but it did get me to thinking. The class was told that if you are ever held up and demanded to hand over your wallet, toss it away from you and away from the bad guy. The bad guy will want to follow what he wants, so he will try follow the wallet. This is supposed to give you an opportunity to retreat. This got me to thinking, handing over a wallet in and of itself is no big deal, its what is IN the wallet that turns it into a big deal. Money, credit/debit cards, and my identity.

Does anyone carry a Back-up Wallet - and empty one, or with some token or trivial stuff that can be "thrown away" without any worry of loss of identity?

#4 ·
When I traveled to Europe I read several articles saying that pick pockets were common but armed mugging was rare. They recommended carrying a "throw away wallet" with a few cards (library card, business cards, etc...) and 5 or 10 Euro. They said to keep that in your rear pocket so if you were to encounter the armed assailant they would look in and see

1) money $$$ and
2) cards and would likely leave you alone

Then I would carry my real cards and money in a money belt with a few Euros in my front pocket. I did encounter an attempted pick pocket in Rome. Two very aggressive Gypsy type ladies that had there hands all over me trying to distract while their friend came in from behind. I knew what they were doing and started yelling loudly and grabbed her wrist when she touched my waist. They moved on to easier prey.

I don't use this method at home however since here I can carry some self defense ;) but it did make me change my method of wallet carry...it is now in my front pocket instead of rear.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

#5 ·
Aw...the old fake wallet trick. Haven't seen that crop up in a while:smile: No, don't carry an extra wallet.

#6 ·
I have in the past.
Had $2, a few business cards from places I have been. and a half dozen different plastic gift cards. They see plastic but don't stop and check what it is.

#48 ·
Salt that wallet with 3 or 4 rusty razor blades to let the perp know it's time to change careers.

#8 ·
When I traveled to Europe...
Interesting that you say that. The presenter was supposedly an "expert" in security/self defense from England. I asked about the carrying of a weapon, and he just about died of a heart attack. I was reminded that I was not a "paying attendee" and therefore I was not privileged to ask such "ridiculous" questions. After the break, about half the class was absent, and the "expert" cut things short. I think he realized his attitude wasn't appreciated with a lot of the "customers".

I had heard of throw away wallets, but hadn't thought of that in a long time, I don't think it is worthy by bother.

#9 ·
I do on occasion carry carry my wallet with my ID and such in it, and also carry a money clip that has my cash and CCs separately. That way I not only don't have to fumble with the wallet to pay a bill, but if my wallet is taken, my money isn't. ID cards can be replaced easily enough.

I also keep a list of everything in my wallet on my PC at home, so if it is taken, I know exactly what is missing.

#53 · (Edited)
I also keep a list of everything in my wallet on my PC at home, so if it is taken, I know exactly what is missing.
That's an excellent idea. As a matter of fact, I'm going to a copy machine TODAY and make a hard copy of everthing in my wallet and store it in a safe place. Maybe I'll make TWO copies and keep one in my car so if I'm robbed on the road I'll have all the information I need. :image035:

EDIT: Now I'm start'n to second guess myself and wonder'n if leaving all the information in my auto, which is susceptable to being broken into, is really such a bright idea.

#12 ·
Seems a little victim-y for me. I'm sure it has it's place - but personally, I am not going to spend money on something that I plan on giving away freely in the event someone threatens me and demands my personal belongings in exchange for my safety.

Maybe a little vial of epicac would be a good option 40Bob? lol

Austin

#15 ·
I agree with you on the Snuggie...who the heck is buying those things anyway? But it must have been a decent idea since they have sold tons of them LOL . I bet they are laughing all the way to the bank!

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

#16 ·
Yes, two wallets are part of my EDC. I carry a standard tri-fold in my back pocket which contains a few dollars (normally, just my singles), AAA card, library card, range card, etc. Nothing with my address.

In my front pocket, I carry a flat money-clip type wallet with my license, credit cards, ATM card, larger bills.

If I am forced to hand over my wallet, the perp will get the tri-fold and nothing much of value.

#17 ·
Sometimes. I am generous. There is 30 bucks in it. Let them be happy and leave.

I piled a bunch of useless old cards in there and weighed it with those clamp style paper clips to add
some heft and make it easy to toss a distance.

#18 ·
I have a BUH (back up house) next to my real house and a BUT (back up truck) which is always parked near my real truck. I stock the BUH with cheap imitations of the stuff I own and make it inviting for a BG to come steal stuff. I figure that way he would be distracted and not steal thngs from my house. Same with the BUT, I keep the keys in it for the BG so he will not steal my real truck.

#25 ·
I sometimes carry a LCP(with a round chambered) in a wallet holster that would, hopefully, make the bad guy think I am retrieving my wallet. The .380 does not pack a wallop but it would ruin his day.

#27 ·
Ive always thought if an armed assailant wanted my wallet I would fumble and it would go to the side and when they gave me a second or two while attempting to retrieve id have my pop gun out and tickle their temple.Pop gun=22 revolver snub nose,even on my small frame does not show.Hopefully will never happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.