Does anybody carry a BUW? (Yes a BUW, not a BUG).

This is a discussion on Does anybody carry a BUW? (Yes a BUW, not a BUG). within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone carry a back-up Wallet? Recently I observed a short class that I have my issues with, but it did get me to thinking. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Does anybody carry a BUW? (Yes a BUW, not a BUG).

Does anyone carry a back-up Wallet?

Recently I observed a short class that I have my issues with, but it did get me to thinking. The class was told that if you are ever held up and demanded to hand over your wallet, toss it away from you and away from the bad guy. The bad guy will want to follow what he wants, so he will try follow the wallet. This is supposed to give you an opportunity to retreat. This got me to thinking, handing over a wallet in and of itself is no big deal, its what is IN the wallet that turns it into a big deal. Money, credit/debit cards, and my identity.

Does anyone carry a Back-up Wallet - and empty one, or with some token or trivial stuff that can be "thrown away" without any worry of loss of identity?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Good idea. I'll start to carry a spare wallet with a dye pack. Or a small c4 charge.

VIP Member
    Two mags, two guns, three knives, keys, light...no, no extra wallet.
    gregnsc likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

When I traveled to Europe I read several articles saying that pick pockets were common but armed mugging was rare. They recommended carrying a "throw away wallet" with a few cards (library card, business cards, etc...) and 5 or 10 Euro. They said to keep that in your rear pocket so if you were to encounter the armed assailant they would look in and see

1) money $$$ and
    2) cards and would likely leave you alone

Then I would carry my real cards and money in a money belt with a few Euros in my front pocket. I did encounter an attempted pick pocket in Rome. Two very aggressive Gypsy type ladies that had there hands all over me trying to distract while their friend came in from behind. I knew what they were doing and started yelling loudly and grabbed her wrist when she touched my waist. They moved on to easier prey.

I don't use this method at home however since here I can carry some self defense ;) but it did make me change my method of wallet carry...it is now in my front pocket instead of rear.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Aw...the old fake wallet trick. Haven't seen that crop up in a while No, don't carry an extra wallet.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Fla
    I have in the past.
    Had $2, a few business cards from places I have been. and a half dozen different plastic gift cards. They see plastic but don't stop and check what it is.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

Muggings are non-existent where I'm currently living, so I don't carry one. I didn't think of it when I lived in Milwaukee, but I probably would have there.
    AngryBadger417 likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

When I traveled to Europe...
    Interesting that you say that. The presenter was supposedly an "expert" in security/self defense from England. I asked about the carrying of a weapon, and he just about died of a heart attack. I was reminded that I was not a "paying attendee" and therefore I was not privileged to ask such "ridiculous" questions. After the break, about half the class was absent, and the "expert" cut things short. I think he realized his attitude wasn't appreciated with a lot of the "customers".

I had heard of throw away wallets, but hadn't thought of that in a long time, I don't think it is worthy by bother.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Does anyone carry a back-up Wallet?

Recently I observed a short class that I have my issues with, but it did get me to thinking. The class was told that if you are ever held up and demanded to hand over your wallet, toss it away from you and away from the bad guy. The bad guy will want to follow what he wants, so he will try follow the wallet. This is supposed to give you an opportunity to retreat. This got me to thinking, handing over a wallet in and of itself is no big deal, its what is IN the wallet that turns it into a big deal. Money, credit/debit cards, and my identity.

Does anyone carry a Back-up Wallet - and empty one, or with some token or trivial stuff that can be "thrown away" without any worry of loss of identity?
    I do on occasion carry carry my wallet with my ID and such in it, and also carry a money clip that has my cash and CCs separately. That way I not only don't have to fumble with the wallet to pay a bill, but if my wallet is taken, my money isn't. ID cards can be replaced easily enough.

I also keep a list of everything in my wallet on my PC at home, so if it is taken, I know exactly what is missing.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Nope, if I am mugged I first want to vomit on the BG.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

I'll carry 2 guns before I carry 2 wallets.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Seems a little victim-y for me. I'm sure it has it's place - but personally, I am not going to spend money on something that I plan on giving away freely in the event someone threatens me and demands my personal belongings in exchange for my safety.

Maybe a little vial of epicac would be a good option 40Bob? lol

Austin

It seems you often have criminals hurt or kill the victims AFTER they comply with their demands. Whether it is just because they can, leave no witnesses, or whatever I don't plan on wasting any time with fake wallets. I'm reaching straight for my firearm.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    In theory it's a decent idea, but I bet the inventors of the Snuggie thought that was a decent idea too.
    BugDude and DandLfam like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    In theory it's a decent idea, but I bet the inventors of the Snuggie thought that was a decent idea too.
    I agree with you on the Snuggie...who the heck is buying those things anyway? But it must have been a decent idea since they have sold tons of them LOL . I bet they are laughing all the way to the bank!

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links