Violence at my company party - Page 3

Violence at my company party

This is a discussion on Violence at my company party within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sgtD I won't risk life and limb to protect someone who doesn't have sense enough to protect themselves again. That may sound ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Violence at my company party

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I won't risk life and limb to protect someone who doesn't have sense enough to protect themselves again. That may sound cold, but I learned a long time ago that you can't save everybody.

I would call the cops or security, or if I had someone who would restrain her, then maybe I might intervine, but I doubt it.

It's a sad situation for sure.
    But how can you make the judgement that the woman in front of you, especially in the case given here (a coworker), doesn't have the sense to protect themselves?

Again, I see everyone's point about DV but in a case like this someone MUST intervene in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I've never bothered to delve into the personal lives of most of my co-workers, but apparently it's come out that she's been abused for a long time. She lives with her boyfriend.
    Musketeer: The above is how you know in this case, which is what I was comenting on.

You can intervine, but someone needs to watch your back, because she will be on it, PDQ. I would call LEO's or work it out with someone I trusted to hold her while you deal with him.

If you go it alone, you'll be fighting them both in most cases. Preferably to me, let someone else be the hero and I'll watch their back. JMO.
    Last edited by sgtD; October 27th, 2006 at 06:48 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Being the guy that calls 911 sucks too

I witnessed a similar situation once. I'll save you the details of the beating, but I assure you it was UGLY. So I call 911, report the domestic, they ask my name, I say anonymous, they say "you called 911 thats not an option". Police show up, arrest guy(she declined to press charges while she was in the ambulance)..State's pressing charges. So, since I was trying to do the right thing, I get dragged into the whole court process, miss work, get put on the stand to testify, then SHE gets on the stand and says "He didn't beat me". Thats it, charges dropped, huge waste of my time and money, now I had neighbors that hated me. I don't even know that I'd call 911 again. Then again, who can watch something like that and do nothing? Maybe I'll open my door and yell 911 really really loud!

These situations just make me sick all the way around.

Last, night ABC News had a special and showed a woman getting beat and punched by her husband. Well, to make matters worse he had made their son record it. She goes on to say how she was luck to escape with her life and how the tape footage is used to train new Leo recruits. Now the cappa was when old Diane Sawyer, the world and I heard these words roll of her lips at the close of the interview. " It is a shame when a love one is sent to Jail."

You got to be hosing me right. In short these situations are touchy and my wife has been told that when my card is pulled and she decides to re-marry use the tools that I left her to fix any such activity pugilistic activity if her new mate decides to get out of line. This is just sick how can you beat on a female or vise versa. My 2Cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

A few years ago at my company Christmas party my dispatchers husband got drunk and decided he was going to start beating on my dispatcher. He took a swing at her and missed, well she took him to the ground and beat the heck out of him, she grabbed him by the back of the head and pounded his face into the floor. The police showed up arrested him and had to take him to the hospital and she didn't have a scratch on her. She did not tolerate his bs and divorced him asap.

BTW. this was a trucking company dispatcher
    911 Government sponsored dial a prayer!

Yeah I would call the police and let them know, I'm sure she still has bruises from the incident. Atleast that punk can spend sometime in jail, lets see if he beats on anyone in there. I doubt it! Report it before your co-worker ends up paralyzed or worst.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    Well Im going to chime in although I dont have any background with abuse except for a time I did get involved and almost went to jail.But I have to say I would still beat the taste outa his mouth to put it nicely. Abusers of women are mostly week cowardly bullys and nothing more. Im afraid if I seen it agine I would have to smack him a few times just my nature.Trying to clean up my typing l.o.l

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Rob72,
    I'd love to have a palm sap, but unfortunately, saps/slapjacks aren't legal here in TN.... which is almost comical, because I'm ASP certified.
    Gotta keep track of your keys somehow........

Todd1 makes another variation using a livestock-harness snap ring. If you've ever seen a halter on a steer, you have an idea.

I would hate not to get involved in any assault, but when it comes to DV situations, they are very hazardous to your health. I would have to agree with everyone else and say to call 9-1-1 with enough information to get them pulled over at least if they leave the scene. Hopefully in your state, the state is able to prosecute regardless of victim/combatant's say-so.

Another twist... If it's likely that the victim is going to decline prosecution (and your state doesn't allow the state to be the victim and prosecute), at a party the best bet to get that sucker in hot water is for all partygoers to demand being a victim to disorderly conduct. In my state disorderly conduct is a class 1 (highest) misdemeanor. If someone like that fights with another person, both subjects could be charged with disorderly conduct times each partygoer including each child.

If you have 30 partygoers (including all children), that's 30 charges of a class 1 misdemeanor (disorderly conduct) against one or both of the subjects. If the partygoers want to stick it to the guy alone, it's their choice, not the state or the police. Doesn't strictly go for parties or when lots of people are present, you could be the only one there and still press disorderly conduct charges against someone doing that. Fill out the witness statement, advise the police you do not want to testify in court, if you have to fill out an affidavit in addition to the statement to get out of court. Boom, guy's going to jail on at least something.

For reference (Arizona Revised Statutes 13-2904)...
    "A. A person commits disorderly conduct if, with intent to disturb the peace or quiet of a neighborhood, family or person, or with knowledge of doing so, such person:

1. Engages in fighting, violent or seriously disruptive behavior; or

2. Makes unreasonable noise; or

3. Uses abusive or offensive language or gestures to any person present in a manner likely to provoke immediate physical retaliation by such person;...

B. ...Disorderly conduct under subsection A, paragraph 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 is a class 1 misdemeanor."

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Preferably to me, let someone else be the hero and I'll watch their back.
    Well put. I believe that when we choose to carry a firearm we give up the right to "be the hero." We must, instead, be the "last resort" and nothing but! That is the point--and the ONLY point!--of carrying a firearm: to be the last resort against a lethal threat.

In the situation described I would encourage others to jump in there and try to stop it, but I would hold myself back and be the last resort in case it got to the point where a life was threatened.

VIP Member
    This incident has really scared my boss about his liability should someone get hurt. Our Christmas parties are usually held at a big bar/grill downtown, and there's always lots and lots of alcohol involved.

He's decided that from now on the company Christmas party will be held at our offices and there will be no alcohol, period. And that's fine with me. And the boyfriend can't show up. Which is also fine with me.

As for my co-worker, she's going about her business like nothing had ever happened. You can't help someone who doesn't think there's a problem and doesn't want help. I do wish somebody had called the cops that night, though. That much could've been done.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links