I have a lunatic problem.

This is a discussion on I have a lunatic problem. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ^^Winner!^^...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: I have a lunatic problem.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^Winner!^^
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

I have seen many comments of advice that are "spot on", but let me add this. Can you get the pick up point changed to the local Police station or Sheriff's station?? Also...as soon as the sister in law's legal problems are behind her....she really needs to get custody back from him ASAP and with his documented cruelty to the dog in front of his son and his outbursts it should help.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I agree with most everything above. I can not imagine the situation from your viewpoint. If you have a smartphone turn on the video recorder every time you go to drop off/ pick up your nephew and watch your comments. Then make sure that your sisters attorney gets a copy of those videos before the next court date.
    Spirit51 and Bark'n like this.

Keep in mind that the video/audio recording devices can be a double edged sword. They record your words and actions as well. So if you make anymore smart-mouthed comments that make him turn purple, that will work against you if you ever have to defend your self-defense actions in court. It would also be wise to check your state's recording laws. Some states require that both parties are informed to be legal.
    Spirit51 and MrsHB like this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    My daughter had the same problem once, and we used the Police Station for the exchange, and A LEO would come out and stand with her for the exchange. The problem ended real fast.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

One of my friends in Virginia was in the same situation with her grandaughter and what she referred to every week as "The Hostage Exchange" because that's exactly how the dad used his daughter. Like a hostage to terrorize the rest of the family on the mom's side. They also had the site changed to the local PD and that resolved at least the issues during the exchange.

The reality is you are dealing with a psychopath (or sociopath, slight variation same issues). Very dangerous. Don't provoke them in the least. They are unpredictable and you can never think as many steps ahead as they do. They never tire of it. Treat them like the IRS. Stay away from them unless you have no other choice, then limit the interaction to the bare minimum necessary. Tell them nothing, say nothing, and get away from them as fast as possible. NEVER tell them anything about you personal life, family, comings and goings, etc. Once you're on their radar as foe, you can't reverse that. Just minimize the impact of it is the best you can do.

They play scenarios out in their mind and have anticipated your reaction in one of several ways. You have to try to not react or at least react in a manner that they could NOT anticipate (without being provoking). I'll give you an example. I worked closely with a lady for 10 years that was a psychopath. When she would get in my face flying all to pieces trying to provoke me into saying or doing something she could use against me, I would calmly look at her and say, "You're in love with me aren't you?" That ended the episode abruptly. Your best defense is to say nothing and get out of there.

Good luck, and I hope it improves.
    Spirit51, msgt/ret and 1911srule like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

With much firepower comes way more responsibility. I feel as a HCP holder that it is my responsibility to do everything within my power to diffuse a situation. Does it mean sometimes I have to swallow my pride ABSOLUTELY. Pride will get you no where in this situation.

Unfortunately, I can say what we used to do with guys like this .... just think "old school" . The end result was, when they saw us... they ran. LOL.

He's a bully and uses "initimidation" and "threats" so that people will be afraid of him. May sound strange, but don't be. The more he knows you aren't initmidated, the more bothered about it he'll be.

You can sue him for the tires, the events, the admission indirectly to you, are permissable in a civil court... and then you have a great record of it.
    Spade115 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Unfortunately, I can say what we used to do with guys like this .... just think "old school" . The end result was, when they saw us... they ran. LOL.

He's a bully and uses "initimidation" and "threats" so that people will be afraid of him. May sound strange, but don't be. The more he knows you aren't initmidated, the more bothered about it he'll be.

You can sue him for the tires, the events, the admission indirectly to you, are permissable in a civil court... and then you have a great record of it.
    Good idea. Small claims court should suffice for the tires. The standards are much lower in civil proceedings. All they need is a preponderance of the evidence. His statement made to you about how you like your tires should be sufficient for even Judge Judy. Or even Judge Joe Brown.
    Spirit51 and Betty like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I have a SIL like him. You have to be on your toes at all times. Absolute waste of oxygen.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Make your drop off and pickup points the local Police Station. When your sister regains her license She will be having to deal with him. Park your car where the desk Sgt can see her to her car. Make sure you are first there and last to leave. If you think hes following you go back. Cops don't like bully's either! Get your Sis used to this before she has to deal with him alone. With an outside party as a witness She stands to have a better chance in court. DR

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    My daughter had the same problem once, and we used the Police Station for the exchange, and A LEO would come out and stand with her for the exchange. The problem ended real fast.
    Butt-heads like this back down very quickly to the law.

It was the only thing that got my wacko neighbors to stop their antics...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

wow thanks for all the great posts. I know I shouldn't have said those things to him. Its been going on a year every other weekend and it wore on me. I'm not so much afraid of him as think he is a big child, but definatly a dangerous one.

I'll go with Bark'ns and others advice and just let it go, record all interactions and try to get the pickup and dropoff at the police station. Maybe the people investigating them might happen to want to talk to him. But then hes pissed again. sigh......

No comment as far as if I carry or not..........

But avoiding conflict will be on the top of my list from now on. (It was before, just that one time cost me.....) Life lesson indeed.

Thanks again guys!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Start running a video recorder as you pull up and leave it running until you leave. Let him plainly see you are recording the entire interaction. Security cameras, police follow-up, get your wife trained and licensed to carry. That's about all you can do.
    I'd say don't let him know you are recording if you want evidence/leverage for the custody battle. Let her lawyer worry about the legality of the recording.

I hope you didn't take away that I was disagreeing with how you handled things. As one who finds it hard to hold their tongue myself, I know how easy it is to let inflammatory things slip out.

I am just trying to bring some things to light which can come back and bite you at the worst possible time.

I know you'll be relieved with Sis-in-law gets her drivers license back and you can bow out of the situation.

Be careful, watch your back, and be prepared to defend yourself. Then leave the nutjob alone and go on with your life.

Good luck buddy.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links