I have a lunatic problem. - Page 4

I have a lunatic problem.

This is a discussion on I have a lunatic problem. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; thanks bark'n, life goes on. Its good to get the whole family on the same page as far as home defense and firearm traing goes. ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: I have a lunatic problem.

thanks bark'n, life goes on. Its good to get the whole family on the same page as far as home defense and firearm traing goes. Situational awareness too.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    If it were me in this situation, I'd be all gung ho about sending this clown a message and drawing a line in the sand. Eventually, after contemplating the many different ways to go about this, I would come to the realization that there is no effective way of "communicating" with a lunatic and if it were to come down to a high noon scenario, I want as much daylight between myself and any suspicion that a shooting could possibly be motivated by guilty conscience.

Play this by the straight and narrow. We have all been through this situation at one point, or atleast pondered how to deal with it. The best way to deal with this is to simply go on living life as you normally do, but on level orange and a heartbeat away from red. Make back up plans with the wife in the event you are attacked such as having her stay at a friends house. He knows your patterns and is able to anticipate hers as well. Thats about as Cloak and Dagger as you need to get with this, otherwise, stop making the exchanges, or atleast audio record the meetings.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Start running a video recorder as you pull up and leave it running until you leave. Let him plainly see you are recording the entire interaction. Security cameras, police follow-up, get your wife trained and licensed to carry. That's about all you can do.
    I like you idea but I would record the idiot secretly as this would be good evidence should it be needed.
    1911srule likes this.

Anything new happen? Hopefully everything is OK.

Please keep us updated.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

A lot of good advice...

I would get a motion detector game camera to watch the driveway & cars. Place it so can't reach from the ground & not obvious. We hope it works itself out.

Anything you do that will provoke this person will work against you. Be patient and wait. If the aggression continues he will hand you everything you need. Until then play dumb, and be friendly to a point.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by RugerP95Lady View Post
    I do have a suggestion for you, yu now know you have a wack o on your hands, you also know u can predict his actions, the best thing is do nothing at all, because if you do all you are doing is fueling the fire, if you have a confrontation with him say nothing at all to him, no matter what hes says to you, if you file a restraining order against him that will just piss him off more, but if he does threaten you again take it seriously it sounds like he will follow thru with it, like I said dont do anything and dont say anything to him no matter what hes says to you, yu could record him next time you have to meet up with him, but for every action there is a reaction and thats what he is looking for a reaction from you and then he will act on it, but if he continues to do things call the police so you have a report. but be careful not to piss him off. he wants to be in control. I am reading a book thats called the "the gift of fear" by Gaven De Becker, its a really good book, it talks about people like that, and how to predict their actions, and talks about your fear and gut feelings. good luck,
    I highly recommend Gaven DeBecker's book, especially for women. My only complaint about it is that he appears to be a bit anti-gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I don't know if you carry concealed or not, but if you are armed and prepared to use lethal force for self defense, you can not afford to be seen as an antagonist.

You now have prior knowledge he is unstable, and with very poor impulse control. Becomes enraged at the drop of a hat. You also know he's a revenge seeker, and rather cowardly at that (ie, slashing tires on your mothers jeep).

These are danger signs which tells a reasonable person he is a potential ticking time bomb. While so far, his actions have been passive-aggressive in nature, it didn't take much to set him off and almost cause him to blow a head gasket (becoming so violently angry he turned purple at your derogatory remarks).

Next time he could flip out and become violent which would force you into a position of having to use force to defend yourself. You know all this. You are worried about it. Your wife is worried about it. Your sister-in-law is worried about it.

If you make any further smart ass quips or insulting remarks towards him which would be seen as inflammatory and sets him off in the future, you will likely lose your ability to make a legal claim of self defense in court if things get out of hand and you are forced to employ lethal force to defend yourself.

You may not get convicted of murder, but any mediocre prosecutor would likely get a convition for voluntary manslaughter.

I can assure you, this will be looked at as a domestic type situation. Historically, shootings involving domestic type situations go against the shooter more often than it's ruled a completely justifiable shooting. Usually it's due to the personal nature of the parties being related, whether it's through marriage or a blood relative. Almost no one has completely clean hands in situations like this.

You've already shown a little lack of maturity by saying with a condescending smile. "Ah, poor little baby, looks like someone needs a nap. Did you go poopy?"

Now, that may seem to be pretty trivial, and of little consequence now. And most people would say, that is pretty minor. And while he's still alive, it is pretty much a minor thing. But when there's a dead guy laying at your feet and a smoking gun in your hand, I can assure you the police, the prosecutor, and a jury won't be laughing.

You've seen how he responded the last time you made a flippant comment towards him. You are now on notice. Act accordingly.

I can assure you, there are plenty of decent folks doing hard time in prison for manslaughter or murder for just this type of situation. They aren't bad people, and they thought they were doing the right thing. They just didn't realize all the legal pitfalls that lay lurking to snare you once a death occurs.

Good luck with the situation. Defend yourself as necessary. But be aware that you don't know as much about the law as you think you do. Once there's a shooting, whether he lives or dies, there's going to be an investigation. Once they find out, you're loosely related to him, they are going to investigate it with a microscope. If you are forced to defend yourself with lethal force, you want to be as clean as the pure driven snow in the eyes of the investigators.

This isn't meant to scare you. And this isn't to say you can not defend yourself against an attack. Or use lethal force, if lethal force is what's warranted. I'm just simply trying to bring some things to light and illuminate the terrain a little bit.

I'm a little concerned that while you said, you knew you shouldn't have said what you did to set him off, you also said that you didn't regret it.

That's not a good attitude to have for a guy who carries a gun, and has the power to snatch a person's life away in a heartbeat. (And again, I don't know if you carry a gun or have a ccw permit. You never indicated one way or another).

Good luck. I hate these kinds of situations. I've been in the middle of too damn many of them. And no small number of those that ended with a loss of life.
    In my mind this post wraps it up in a nutshell. Very well said.

A co-worker of mine had a situation eerily similar to this a while back. And he was just trying to help a friend out. The nutcase in his scenario also had a penchant for slashing tires and just wreaking havoc whenever possible. My co-worker installed cameras on the front and back of his house. I don't think it really cost him too much to do it. I think the OP should strongly consider it. Slashing tires is only one of the things people can do to a car. It's amazing what people with a nothing-to-lose mindset are willing to do...and just for the thrill of it.

I think your most powerful weapon right now is vigilance and preparation. Be aware of your surroundings at all times and make sure your wife knows how to lock n load for when you aren't around. Every month I kinda drill my wife on opening the safe, grabbing the gun, racking the slide to be ready to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Oh yes, taking the wife out to shoot this weekend. Have a berretta neos that she can use for home defense(she is uber afraid of recoil and not really a fan of shooting.) At least its something I guess. I would prefer a twenty gauge or 38 revolver or something, but we are working on that.

Oh yeah forgot to mention, on one of the drop offs, after we left the infamous Mr D was walking his beagle puppy, got mad at it and either kicked it to death or unconscious and threw it in the back of his car with his son watching. Several people witnessed it and called in with his license plate and his description. They are currently working up a case against him, but he has moved and they are having trouble locating him for questioning.

Sigh, karma needs to hurry up.
    What a heartless dirt bag..

Quote Originally Posted by llmstratocaster View Post
    I think your most powerful weapon right now is vigilance and preparation. Be aware of your surroundings at all times and make sure your wife knows how to lock n load for when you aren't around. Every month I kinda drill my wife on opening the safe, grabbing the gun, racking the slide to be ready to fire.
    I hope that safe is a push button affair. Having to take the time to operate the dial on a safe is a good way to get killed in my book. YMMV
    Ghost1958 likes this.

You could "plan" a family vacation to a place your son didn't really want to go. Make him think you are really going, though or it won't work. Then, after he had a chance to tell his friend, you could cancel it, hire an off-duty police officer as a security guard for the week to watch the property, put the dogs in the pin, keep the lights out, and see if you can catch him in the act.
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by asldkjfqwoifqwo View Post
    I hope that safe is a push button affair. Having to take the time to operate the dial on a safe is a good way to get killed in my book. YMMV
    Oh yes. And a very simple push button affair at that.
    Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously, don't even think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by llmstratocaster View Post
    Oh yes. And a very simple push button affair at that.
    The lock box in my bedroom has 5 buttons and requires three be pushed to open the box. When I close it I push the first two buttons and getting into it is just a matter of pushing one button. The chance of an intruder hitting that button right off is one in five, pretty low odds.

EDIT: I apologize for hijacking this thread. My bad.
    Last edited by asldkjfqwoifqwo; February 21st, 2013 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Unfortunately, I can say what we used to do with guys like this .... just think "old school" . The end result was, when they saw us... they ran. LOL.

He's a bully and uses "initimidation" and "threats" so that people will be afraid of him. May sound strange, but don't be. The more he knows you aren't initmidated, the more bothered about it he'll be.
    You can sue him for the tires, the events, the admission indirectly to you, are permissable in a civil court... and then you have a great record of it.
    Unless he denies saying it. Then it's his word against yours. It will be a loser in court if the guy has half a brain.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links