TV Show - What Would You Do?

This is a discussion on TV Show - What Would You Do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night's show, young couple in the park argueing. She is sitting on a bench, he is standing, leaning over her and yelling at her. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: TV Show - What Would You Do?

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Last night's show, young couple in the park argueing. She is sitting on a bench, he is standing, leaning over her and yelling at her. He does not hit her but he does grab her arms and push her back into the bench not letting her get up.

If you were a passer by, armed with gun or knife, would you get involved? My first thought was of course but then I thought about it more and being armed, knowning how quickly things can change, is that just asking for trouble?

I can see how a simple attempt to help the girl could turn really bad really fast, maybe the boy swings at you, you step back, slip, on the ground...

Thoughts?

Call 911 - advise the authorities.

Keep an eye on the situation

Only get involved if it evolves into violence, and it looks like someone's life is in danger.
    Brad426, msgt/ret, darbo and 5 others like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post

Only get involved if it evolves into violence, and it looks like someone's life is in danger.
    Word for word what I would say. Well, I would have said "escalates" instead of "evolves", but other than that word, word for word.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I saw that sometime ago,when it aired on Abc.That's a situation,you better be careful of,if you jump in.I read where a man,had went in a store one morning to get some coffee.He went back to his truck,and was texting a buddy.He said a couple came out,and they were raising hell with each other.The female slapped the male.The male pushed her to the ground,and was on top of her.The man in the truck,walked over to try and break it up,and they both attacked him.I don't know,if it's true or not,but,i didn't see a reason he would make it up.
    Betty likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Last night's show, young couple in the park argueing. She is sitting on a bench, he is standing, leaning over her and yelling at her. He does not hit her but he does grab her arms and push her back into the bench not letting her get up.

If you were a passer by, armed with gun or knife, would you get involved? My first thought was of course but then I thought about it more and being armed, knowning how quickly things can change, is that just asking for trouble?

I can see how a simple attempt to help the girl could turn really bad really fast, maybe the boy swings at you, you step back, slip, on the ground...

Thoughts?
    "Everything OK over there, folks?", from fifty feet away should be OK, no?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Other than 911, nope.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Would not use a firearm but I may get Fox Labs some free advertising on the show.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    That's why you carry a cell phone. Use it to call 911 and let them handle it.
    msgt/ret and mano3 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    That's why you carry a cell phone. Use it to call 911 and let them handle it.
    Well, that and WWF and Angry Birds...
    Mjr_Fail and Burns like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Call 911. you aren't a LEO. thats their job. sounds harsh but nowadays people are looking for reasons to sue. and that would be a good one right there if something bad were to happen.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post

I agree with this too. However, if I got "involved" I would avoid pulling a trigger if at all possible. Domestic disputes have ways of turning around to bite you in the backside. Any LEO will tell you that. If things do escalate and he tries to kill her and she is on the verge of death and you pull the trigger on him, she may still turn her rage on you for killing the man she loves. That rage may be in the form of a physical attack in which case you have to make another shoot/no-shoot decision or it could be in the form of a wrongful death lawsuit. Even if you win the lawsuit, you still have to pay an attorney.

I would try to limit my "involvement" to making a video with my phone, letting them both no there is a witness and police have been called and trying to recruit more witnesses. This might be a good situation for a less-than-lethal weapon.
    msgt/ret, nontechguy and Betty like this.

VIP Member
    Can't ask a civil question from a respectable distance? Glad I am me.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    I would do exactly what has already been posted. Sit back, call 911. If it starts to get a little too hairy, yell out from a safe distance that I'm on the phone with the cops.

I was witness to a very similar situation years ago. Girl parks her car right next to me. Guy pulls up, blocks her car in, walks over to the driver's side, and the two start a cussfest. He demands she open up the door, she finally gets out, he walks her over to his car, and they continue the cussfest. He lightly puts his hand on her throat and is up in her face. He finally drives off.

I'm glad I didn't get directly involved, because I found out more info later. I was waiting to meet a friend, and that friend was also friends with that girl, who told her to meet up at the same time and place. The girl had a habit of running back to her abusive boyfriend. I would've had the both of them on me if I got in the middle.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Call 911. Their problem, not mine. This society is way too litigious to get involved in a domestic dispute.

Lets say you shoot and kill the man in order to defend/protect the woman. Then the woman sues you for killing her baby daddy. That's still horrible even if you're not charged by the state with a crime.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I would do exactly what has already been posted. Sit back, call 911. If it starts to get a little too hairy, yell out from a safe distance that I'm on the phone with the cops.

I was witness to a very similar situation years ago. Girl parks her car right next to me. Guy pulls up, blocks her car in, walks over to the driver's side, and the two start a cussfest. He demands she open up the door, she finally gets out, he walks her over to his car, and they continue the cussfest. He lightly puts his hand on her throat and is up in her face. He finally drives off.

I'm glad I didn't get directly involved, because I found out more info later. I was waiting to meet a friend, and that friend was also friends with that girl, who told her to meet up at the same time and place. The girl had a habit of running back to her abusive boyfriend. I would've had the both of them on me if I got in the middle.

^YEP^^^^^^^

Call the cops, tell the guy from a distance the boys are on their way. If he gets stupid toward you, well you have to defend yourself, right?
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links