Discuss the many things the good guy did wrong - Page 2

Discuss the many things the good guy did wrong

This is a discussion on Discuss the many things the good guy did wrong within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Maverick7340 What if you or your loved one happen to be in the background of his line of fire and got hit? ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discuss the many things the good guy did wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    What if you or your loved one happen to be in the background of his line of fire and got hit? Would you just tell him to go to the range and practice?

Sorry, but with all due respect, I don't play this kind of "What if..." game very well. As one of my Drill Instructors used to say, "What if?? What if grasshoppers had machineguns ?!? Birds wouldn't with 'em!! There's no point in asking pointless 'What if..?' questions, pig!!" ("Pig" being a term of endearment he liked to use quite often.)

My point is this; everybody is jumping on the guy merely based on what information the local *news media* decided to present to the mindless masses. And we all know how the driveby media just kills themselves to get the story 100% accurate... Watch the video linked to the story. The reporter chick says "...at the Sunshine Cafe..." just as the camera *clearly* focuses on the Sunrise Cafe!

I don't think the victim should be taken to task for not buying into the le created 'rule'/expectation that crime victims are supposed to act meek and mild like Mr. Rogers after firing in justifiable self defense. So he used some colorful language in describing his response to having his life threatened...so what? The call was made in the heat of the moment. As someone else pointed out, he could have meant to say 20 feet..not yards. People can and DO mis-state things/misjudge distances etc. under stress.

So he "lit up" some lowlife...good for him, I say. Hopefully as the bullets were flying past (but unfortunately not *into*) his head, the perp may have realized that he made a bad career choice and will change his ways. Cheers!
    Last edited by BushidoMarine; October 26th, 2006 at 11:12 PM.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine View Post
    My point is this; everybody is jumping on the guy merely based on ...
    Nope. It has nothing to do with grilling someone nobody even knows.

IMHO, the goal on this forum is to kick around situations and debate the merits, the what-ifs and think hard about how we would handle things in a similar situation. Whatever the situation. Whatever faux pas the "news" media has conjured up in the particular case, which we can't possibly know, either. Nicely, the lack of info roughly parallels the reality when someone needs to make a decision in a situation, too, as there is rarely complete info on-the-instant.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote:
    "I asked him to stop. He pulled his weapon, raised it right to my face. He was 20 yards away and I lit him up," Jaffe told the dispatcher.

How and why this guy is not under arrest is beyond my ability to explain.
    Are handguns not effective at twenty yards in your state? They are in FL. In fact, several years ago, one of my deputy friends shot a guy with a H&K USP from 58 yards.

When somebody is threatening you with a gun, they can still hit you at 25 yards. Can you hit them, or are you afraid it's not legal after a certain distance?
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That's a fairly good point.
    If it is known that the assailant has a handgun (so, we're not talking about someone who may or may not be armed at all), and he is still demonstrating threatening behavior although he is outside of those "magic" 21 feet, it stands to reason that you should be entitled to fire at him in defense before he shoots you. After all, there is definite risk of being shot by him, and you cannot be expected to make a judgment about his ability to hit a target from X, Y, or Z distances.

The problem is, someone's going to be asserting that you should have been able to run away, or get behind cover, if the guy was like 40 yards from you, whether you live in a "no-retreat" state or not! I think this would have a lot to do with whether the assailant was on his way away from you or not. If he's turned tail and is running, probably best for you (legally) if you don't attempt to shoot him.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

With my old Hi Point 9mm, I could put 7 out of 10 on a 16x20" piece of steel at 125 yards. Pretty sure that If I'm getting shot at from any distance, I'm shooting back. 21 feet to me seem horribly close, even though in reality, that's the kind of distances these things supposedly occur most often.

Poor wording on his part, just like a car accident maybe, adrenaline flowing, heart rate through the roof. Hell, I remember walking up to a drop dead gorgeous woman and embarassing myself rather nicely, and I'm pretty sure I knew what I was GOING to say, but somewhere in the 21 feet between my table and hers, my brain and mouth apparently stopped talking to each other. I'm assuming the same thing could happen when anyone gets nervous. Probably good the GG didn't hit the BG in this scenario I suppose. Crexrun :)
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links