Discuss the many things the good guy did wrong

This is a discussion on Discuss the many things the good guy did wrong within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.theindychannel.com/news/1...s=ind&psp=news Things worked out well for the good guy but IMO he used poor judgement all around. From what he told 911 to shooting at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discuss the many things the good guy did wrong

Discuss the many things the good guy did wrong

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/1...s=ind&psp=news

Things worked out well for the good guy but IMO he used poor judgement all around. From what he told 911 to shooting at the BG.

He is just a cocky gun owner. Gives us a bad image.

2. Remove Ads

He used the terminology "I lit him up" is the first thing that comes to mind, Simply stating he shot at the suspect would suffice. "Lighting him up" sounds like he's having a blast doing so. (no pun intended) Second is -the perp wasnt facing him, in fact the perp was (reportedly) retreating, making the victim the aggressor.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Assistant Administrator
    This is the vid link to report. http://www.theindychannel.com/video/10152844/index.html

I get the impression the GG went after him - presumably (and maybe not wisely) to challenge - but was presented with a gun pointed at him.

Then he fires off 10 rounds!! No hits - maybe as well in this case tho it is being seen right now as justified - might have had a different spin if any shots had connected - wonder too where the stray rounds went.

"Lit him up" is certainly IMO a poor choice of descriptive wording!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well, let's see...

BG is already gone. Shop owner is no longer in fear of his life. BG is "20 yards away" ie. SIXTY FEET! Shop owner discharges 10 rounds at a moving target in the dark. He tells dispatch he "lit him up."

Lemme think about this one.

What a friggin' idiot.

Not Good Judgement..

IMHO...no need to 'chase' BG.
    Needs much more target practice...
    His only comment should have been, "I was in fear of my life, and I thought I was going to die!"

Stay alert...shoot straight...stop the threat!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree, he has left. At this point I would check if everybody is alright or at least keep watching to see if you could catch a face or license plate or something. But not pull the gun AFTER he is running AWAY and then challenge him to a duel of "who can miss the most".

retsupt99 +1

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    Well, let's see...

BG is already gone. Shop owner is no longer in fear of his life. BG is "20 yards away" ie. SIXTY FEET! Shop owner discharges 10 rounds at a moving target in the dark. He tells dispatch he "lit him up."

Lemme think about this one.

What a friggin' idiot.
    Well, what about Sgt. Hepp saying, "It seems the circumstances, he was in fear for his life. It was justified in this case"?! It was what?
    Maybe the good sergeant is just voicing what we all feel -- that society would be better off without this criminal scum. "Justified" maybe not in a legal sense, but still... justified. The robber put a WEAPON in the store owner's face!

"I asked him to stop. He pulled his weapon, raised it right to my face. He was 20 yards away and I lit him up," Jaffe told the dispatcher.
    How and why this guy is not under arrest is beyond my ability to explain.

"It seems the circumstances, he was in fear for his life. It was justified in this case," Hepp said.
    Likewise how a police sergeant can say that these were legally justified actions.

Mark Quigley, who lives near both restaurants, said crime is filtering into even the nicest of communities.
    GET A GUN, Mr. Quigley. (Hmmm, Sharps rifle sounds appropriate... )
    And tell your friends and loved ones to, also. Because you're absolutely right.

"I don't think a lot of people realize what goes on in other parts of the city. Desperation is what drives a lot of the people who commit these acts," Quigley said.
    Desperation? What, they can't get a job? I think it's more likely a retardation of the mental development, combined with plain ordinary GREED, and an unwillingness to accept that people should have to WORK for what they want out of life, not stick a gun in someone's face and TAKE it. Something is wrong with the psyche of a growing portion of the population. It's not about desperation. It's about misdevelopment.

We are taking his call to be the facts. Another reason not to give a statement before calming down, 20 yards and everyone jumps, maybe he meant 20ft, suddenly thats a different story isnt it.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Desperation? What, they can't get a job? I think it's more likely a retardation of the mental development, combined with plain ordinary GREED, and an unwillingness to accept that people should have to WORK for what they want out of life, not stick a gun in someone's face and TAKE it. Something is wrong with the psyche of a growing portion of the population. It's not about desperation. It's about misdevelopment.

In response to PeacefulJeffrey...

About people getting desperate for money, greed, or whatever their excuse is. Instead of getting a gun to rob, maybe that perp should've used the money to buy food or clothing. You think he spent maybe at least $150 to $200 for the gun used in the robbery? That could've been for at least 1 weeks worth of food if he has family. Maybe gas for his car? Or maybe a light bill? Yep, I agree, it was greed and lack of looking for a job.

I believe its fitting for me to say...if an immigrant can get a job without papers, anyone with will to survive (and a little luck) can get a job. I admit, I had times when I was looking for a job to support myself, but I wasn't robbing stores.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That's why I say it's not "desperation," it's a serious malformation of the psyche; a defect in the mentality, one that makes a person feel sociopathically entitled to take what isn't theirs.

I see. And I do agree.

Likewise how a police sergeant can say that these were legally justified actions.
    1) An investigating officer who understands his community, perhaps?

2) The report filed by the Officers will, in large part, determine the "legality". Talk lawyer-isms all day, that's the practical aspect, barring a DA with a jones for making a name for himself at any cost (ie, pursuing a case the PD doesn't think is worth the effort).

Poor judgement? Yeah. Good message "on the street"? I think so.

He is free because he is lucky to live in the Great State of Indiana, where the government still generally recognizes the fact that the Second Amendment means what is says, and recognizes the basic human right of citizens to defend themselves against criminals..

Way too much Monday-morning QB-ing on this one IMHO....the citizen felt threatened with lethal force and he responded in kind...just needs to get out to Pop Guns and work on his accuracy!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

By the time the GG finally was able to get to his gun, there was no longer a threat until he became the aggressor in which case he became the threat to all around him as he was shooting.
    If any of his 10 misses would have hit a bystander things would be much differrent. What if you or your loved one happen to be in the background of his line of fire and got hit? Would you just tell him to go to the range and practice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links