Defensive Carry banner

What would you have done?

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  pir8fan 
#1 ·
I know this is incomplete information but this just came out from University of Houston.
What would you have done?

DATE: September 16, 2012 4:16:16 PM CDT
Document Number: 1847

Security Alert

SUSPECTS:Two Black male, betweens the ages of late 20's to 30's, light skinned, medium build with short curly hair.
WEAPON:Black semi-automatic handgun
VEHICLE:Dark colored 4 door car.

SYNOPSIS: At approximately 2:00pm on Sunday September 16, 2012, at the 3800 block of Holman Street near Scott Street, A University of Houston student reported to UHDPS that two unidentified black males, driving a dark colored vehicle, drove up to him while he was walking westbound on Holman Street. The driver displayed a handgun and demanded his property and cell phone. After the student complied with the suspects, they fled the scene headed eastbound on Holman towards Cullen Blvd. The University of Houston student was not injured.

SAFETY TIPS:
Confrontations can occur without provocation, through no fault of your own. When such confrontations do occur, there are some actions you can take:

BE ALERT!!

* Be cautious when approached by an unknown person on the street, even the nicest person can have ill intent.
* Remain as calm as possible.Your own initiative and clear thinking are your best defenses.
* The University has more than 70 Emergency call boxes placed strategically around campus, use them! The call goes directly to the UHDPS Dispatch Center.
* Report the incident. Call the police immediately and report what has happened. Call (713) 743-3333 or 911.
* Do not walk alone, if at all possible walk in groups.
* Try to notice details. This can allow you to provide the police with detailed physical and clothing descriptions of the person(s) involved.
* If a vehicle is involved, try to note the vehicle's license plate number or the vehicle's manufacturer, model and color or any other identifying features.

Updates to this alert and past alerts will be posted at https://www.piersystem.com/go/doctype/1093/21522/.
You may contact the University of Houston Department of Public Safety at police@uh.edu
All faculty, staff and students are encouraged to be alert and to be cautious of their surroundings on and away from campus.
In any emergency situation, or if you see suspicious activity, call 9-1-1. For more information on staying safe and your role in preventing crime, please visit the website of the University of Houston Department of Public Safety at UHDPS.

See less See more
#2 ·
Called Mayor Bloomberg to come rescue me.

Seriously.....Since they had a gun on you from the start, give them what they want.

#3 ·
IMHO, why would anyone think it was a good idea to combat these guys for a few cheap material items when they already have the drop on you. Time to be a good witness. I agree with archer51.

Reactions: NEWTOTHIS68
#4 ·
Unfortunately this is nothing new...........at the University one of my boys attended, these type of incidents were somewhat prevelent....townies praying on students, strong armed robberies, muggings and rapes......just what a parent sends their son or daughter off to college for.

#5 ·
Agreed. This is not a situation to draw. - The gun is on you. The perp is demanding VERY replaceable things. - Give them to him, yet be aware of the situation and prepare to draw (and fire) if the situation escalates and you become in imminent danger.

#6 ·
Again, gun on you and no quick cover, give them what they want and make good mental notes of the situation. Hopefully they don't notice your carry and try to take your weapon.

#8 ·
Awareness is your best defense. When they got the drop comply. Warning to travel in groups this shoulen't be a surprise. If that is the MO, then traveling against the car direction I think would be safer. You can see them coming. Running before they stopped would create an advantage.

#10 ·
This would be my response also.

* The University has more than 70 Emergency call boxes placed strategically around campus, use them! The call goes directly to the UHDPS Dispatch Center.
When I went back to college in the safety briefing they brought out the call boxes also, they were disappointed when I commented they were very nice, makes it easier to locate the body.

#9 ·
Your goal is always going to be survival and not get you are someone with you shot. Clear thinking, common sense and especially good judgement is your best option when you're under the gun. I don't want to escalate a bad situation to a life threatening one unless I have a strong suspicion their intent is more than robbery.

Then again, your view of life threatening event might be different than mine. By its very nature, pointing a gun at someone is life threatening. Best bet is to take all the precautions one can to avoid that type of encounter as outlined above. To me, pulling your own weapon out is a measure of last resort and hope of not being maimed or murdered.

Not having been robbed at gun point myself, that's my thought process anyway.

#12 ·
I'm also of the camp that thinks once you've reached that level, hand over your stuff as you're no longer in any kind of advantageous position. Really speaks to always being aware of what's going on around you, but hell how many of us really would see that coming? I probably wouldn't have.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

#15 ·
Not enough details. Normally compliance is the best thing but depending where you are in relation to the dude with the gun, type of vehicle, distance cover/concealment, your training, I could see myself not complying (assuming I am armed). Being in a vehicle is a disadvantage to the BG's. If they do shoot and miss you the odds are they would take off. Being able to distract them and move to the rear of the vehicle for cover and concealment while drawing is not unheard of.

Again..your life, your property, your ego, your gut instinct and your training level.

#17 ·
It sounds to me like the BGs just pulled up next to him and never got out of the car. I agree that drawing on someone that already has a gun pointed at you foolish if not suicidal. But being in a vehicle does make them less maneuverable. Running from them in the opposite direction that the car is facing might be a viable option. Especially if there is cover close by. You would likely improve your odds of not getting shot at if you tossed you wallet to them and then ran. Lots of variables. Every situation is different.

#18 ·
I went to U of H. That campus is spread out, multiple access points, major roads nearby and a crappy area of Houston all around it. I never felt comfortable on that campus. There were always "suspicious' people wandering around. We always traveled in groups on campus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.