Draw? No draw? (Edit added again)

Draw? No draw? (Edit added again)

This is a discussion on Draw? No draw? (Edit added again) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in a bit of a discussion on another forum I visit on occasion, and I'd like to get a few opinions from folks here. ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Draw? No draw? (Edit added again)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Question Draw? No draw? (Edit added again)

I'm in a bit of a discussion on another forum I visit on occasion, and I'd like to get a few opinions from folks here. Here's the scenario:

You're [entering] the emergency room late at night, where your ill spouse has been transported. You see "a dark figure" 20 feet away in the dim light who asks for a cigarette. That's all that has occured.

A simple question. Please, no IFs, BUTs' etc. You, emergency room, late at night, someone in the dim light asks for a Cig. Is that reason to actually draw a weapon?

[Jeopardy tune time now]

Thought about it long enough? I'll add in some tidbits of further info and now see if you opinion changes.

The individual in question is a 60-year-old retired, (apparently, not confirmed) disabled (don't know of any retired LEOs who aren't to some extent) LEO with 30 years of "experience" who pulled his 442 out and placed it behind his leg, an "old LEO trick" from his early days. No one saw him draw his gun (His claim). No one implies the guy asking for the Cig approached you.

Do you still think it was proper/improper for him to draw his firearm, even if unobserved, given this additional data? My opinion later.

EDIT: Slight edits to make this as close to his OP without pasting. I'd post what the OP (the LEO) said in its entirely but don't want to infringe on any copyright rules. There really isn't any other conditions to his post, just some "after the fact" additions that don't add anything to what I've set forth.

Re-edit: See post #29 for a link to the OP's thread. If you feel I've omitted some important facts, please say so.
    Last edited by OldVet; January 31st, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Based strictly on what you provided, it was premature to draw. A few additional facts could cause a different answer, though.
    Last edited by MrsHB; January 31st, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Nope I would not have felt threatened in that situation and would not have drawn
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    With info given, no need for draw

I wouldn't draw, I get asked for cigs a lot, I don't think there is anything inheritedly threatening about somebody being at the hospital and stressed needing a cigarette maybe I don't understand the issue properly
    Spade115 likes this.

With information provided, I see no justification for drawing a firearm.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Not only is it premature to elevate the encounter to a lethal force situation, it justifies a lethal force response.
    Spade115 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Draw? No draw?

I know smoking is bad for your health, but wow! No draw...
    tundra likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I'm even going to say its unresponsible to draw, suppose the guy in need of a cig saw the draw and drew faster and shot him?

Although, LEO's do that all the time......draw and place gun facing down behind the leg.....called....The Covert Ready Position.....if no threat occurs you simply reholster your gun, no harm no foul.....suggested to me by LE many times.

No way. I'm not living in a world where I draw on anyone who speaks to me late at night.
    Boozehound likes this.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    No draw. No brainer.

That situation calls for increased SA at that particular point in time. The next reactions being dependent on how the situation unfolds.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    No draw, same as it was for me at a gas station late one light last week.Guy comes out of bushes while Im walking back to my car and says "hey big man"..... and cant finish his sentence as I ignore and get back into my car. He did not proceed toward my car when I didnt respond to him....No draw

Based on what you wrote, yes it was a premature draw.

I had to read this several times to see if it was a trick question. I don't even see where there is a need for discussion on this "scenario". Of course you would not draw your weapon. And to make it even dumber to draw (IMO) is the facts given later that the guy is a retired LEO. I can see some wimpy wuss nervous Nelly doing it...but a retired LEO?

EDIT: What is the discusion points in the other forum? What are the reasons folks are giving that saying drawing is OK?
    d2jlking and gregnsc like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links