Opinion: Was this clerk being a cowboy when he took action?

This is a discussion on Opinion: Was this clerk being a cowboy when he took action? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are some posters on another forum that I'm apart of that are saying the clerk in this video was reckless and endangered the lives ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Opinion: Was this clerk being a cowboy when he took action?

Opinion: Was this clerk being a cowboy when he took action?

There are some posters on another forum that I'm apart of that are saying the clerk in this video was reckless and endangered the lives of his fellow clerk and the baby,they say all the criminal wanted was some money and that the clerk was being a cowboy.

I disagree.

Some of the responses

The clerk shooting within inches of a baby's head to intentionally try to kill a BG who was trying to rob a place for some bucks....and that's cool to ya'll?
    That dumb clerk risked that womans life and her baby....yeah hero...
    Looks more like a dumb clerk going cowboy with a mother and her baby in the line of fire.
    What does DC think about this?
    mano3 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I think if you diligently use the search function, you can find a lot of discussion about the incident back when it happened, in 2005.

Also, please re-read the Forum rules about language work-arounds.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think if you diligently use the search function, you can find a lot of discussion about the incident back when it happened, in 2005.

Also, please re-read the Forum rules about language work-arounds.
    It's 2013 and a whole lot new members with fresh perspectives have joined since 2005, but what ever.
    ValterP99 likes this.

VIP Member
    The clerk is a firearms instructor, and the robber is in prison.
    Snub44, Tzadik and gunfan like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    It does not look like anyone but the BG was endangered by the clerk shooting
    Taurahe likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It does not look like anyone but the BG was endangered by the clerk shooting
    Same thing I said and the BG endangered everyone inside of the motel 6 by doing what he did.

It's always easier and convenient to blame the the GG who takes action against the BG,than the BG cause you know the BG is just trying to feed his family during these hard times.

smh,
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

Clerk: Nice, well controlled two-handed grip. Placed his shots well. The guy knows what he is doing.

Bad Guy: Wrong place, wrong time, wrong profession.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't think he was being a cowboy. I'm sure those who criticized would have drawn on him too. That guy could have shot them all, who knows but the clerk didn't wait to find out.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    OP: It sounds like according to their logic that if you will give up the money willingly during a robbery you will never get killed or injured, because we have really found this to be true...

He did everything perfect in my opinion.
    gunfan and Taurahe like this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

FWIW, I think the clerk did an excellent job! Yes, He DID fire just to the right of the baby/mother. Funny how that adrenaline rush can give you tunnel vision when you find that front sight on the BG and you begin to squeeze the trigger.

Bet all the folks who criticized the Tactical Response photographer for being close to the training target while a student was firing, will have a field day criticizing the actions of this clerk...or will they? JMO
    gunfan and Eagleks like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Posting this on a self defense pro gun sight and you get one opinion. Post it on a website dedicated to new mothers or flower power and you'll get another. In this country everyone is entitled to their opinion and they all count the same.

The outcome was good. Danger was present generated by both parties. Since we live in a world where we can't do a rewind and play it different we will never know if it was the best choice.

I've seen discussions on this video over the years and the outcome is still the same. Good shoot? Yup. Best choice? Who knows.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by bigwill72 View Post
    I don't think he was being a cowboy. I'm sure those who criticized would have drawn on him too. That guy could have shot them all, who knows but the clerk didn't wait to find out.
    Those particular posters who I quoted wouldn't have drawn as they are some of the main anti-gun posters on the other forum im on.

Also goes to show you that not every one will duck or start running at the sound of gunfire, I dont believe the baby even cried from the sound of the gunfire. Looks like the mother was in shock.

The angle of the camera makes it look like the customer and her baby were closer than they actually were. In an interview with the clerk after the fact, he stated they were positioned at a much more acute angle away from his direction of fire.
    accessbob likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    FWIW, I think the clerk did an excellent job! Yes, He DID fire just to the right of the baby/mother. Funny how that adrenaline rush can give you tunnel vision when you find that front sight on the BG and you begin to squeeze the trigger.

Bet all the folks who criticized the Tactical Response photographer for being close to the training target while a student was firing, will have a field day criticizing the actions of this clerk...or will they? JMO
    Apples and oranges.....having a photographer without body armor or helmet taking pics like he was was stupid. Plain and simple. The students could get the same effect other ways without possible endangering the dude.

The guy in the video acted quickly and seemed like he knew what he was doing. And I bet he was able to do that without having to attend some stupid training stunt.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

BG wrong place wrong time. GG does what he should have done. I too was checking the camera angle and it is filming from a position making it the bystanders seem closer than they are. At that range had they been as close as they appear to be the b aby and possibly the mother would have gotten minor particulate burns from the muzzle blast. They especially the baby didnt react as if struck by powder or particulate. To me a dead giveaway they are not as close to line of fire as they appear to be in the video.
    gunfan likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links