CC in businesses that post "no guns"

This is a discussion on CC in businesses that post "no guns" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't CC where it's against the law (schools, etc.) but i do regularly CC in businesses that post "no guns" like the Flatiron Mall. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: CC in businesses that post "no guns"

I don't CC where it's against the law (schools, etc.) but i do regularly CC in businesses that post "no guns" like the Flatiron Mall.

I'd rather be asked to leave and take my business elsewhere than to face a situation where I would rather have my gun with me and not have it with me.. A situation with a larger chance of happening in places with a no-guns sign.

Does anyone else do this under the "out of eye out of mind" principle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    If you are convicted of a felony, you won't be carrying anywhere. Your state laws may vary. Here in libtarded California, I can still carry in schools and movie theaters, and can freely ignore signs except in Government buildings..
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

In missouri it is not a criminal offense to carry in posted business but you must leave if asked. I often carry in places posted and will leave(no questions asked) if requested to do so. Make sure it stays out of sight! It has worked for me.

Signs have the force of law in Colorado http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf so you are admitting to breaking the law here. I wouldn't do that.
    saa and perfection like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Have always lived in a state where such signage carried no force of law. And so, I've never really gone looking for such signs.

May I never, ever live in such a place that values the lives of citizens so little as to give others the power over me regarding my ability to effectively protect my own life.

If ever asked to leave, though, I'd leave. A charge of criminal trespass isn't my thing. If I do happen to notice such signs, I often bring to the attention of the ranking manager at the store why they're losing my business (and my money) permanently.

It comes to this: it's nobody's business whether I'm capable of withstanding criminal violence against me, as it's not a threat to anyone (except, of course, to criminals attempting such a thing). And for them (the assailants), I'll let them know as firmly and directly as I'm capable of doing, if the moment arises. Otherwise ... concealed is good.
    Rcher and BamaT like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Uh, you may want to check out the schools situation in CA. There are county specific regs also, but I believe school carry is a specific no no. I'm trying to pull the specifics out of my brain and may be wrong, but it seems like it states that only with principal permission may a non-police on duty carry on school grounds. Calgunforums.com should have good direction.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Uh, you may want to check out the schools situation in CA. There are county specific regs also, but I believe school carry is a specific no no. I'm trying to pull the specifics out of my brain and may be wrong, but it seems like it states that only with principal permission may a non-police on duty carry on school grounds. Calgunforums.com should have good direction.
    No, he's right: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf

"Carry allowed on schools property with permit/license."
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Here in libtarded California, I can still carry in schools and movie theaters, and can freely ignore signs except in Government buildings..
    California Penal Code 626.9 (l): click.

626.9. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the
    Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.

(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm under any of the following circumstances:

(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other firearm ... in a locked container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.

(l) This section does not apply to ... a person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 26150) of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6 ...

But then, that's CA. Doesn't really apply to CO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Signs have the force of law in Colorado http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf so you are admitting to breaking the law here. I wouldn't do that.
    Thanks for posting that updated link. Based on a check of that site after I received my permit, I believed signs did not have the force of law. I'll need to check more carefully for posted signs now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I think Handgunlaw.us is incorrect here. I used to think that signs in CO held force of law, but that is NOT in the concealed carry laws. Handgunlaw apparently used to think the same, but now says:
    Quote Originally Posted by handgunlaw.us
    After discussions with a Practicing Attorney in Colorado I have changed it to Yes that Gun Signs do have the force of law. In many cases the person is just ask to leave and nothing happens. In instances where an Officer is summoned it depends on the Officer. But you can be charged with Trespassing if the Officer believes it is necessary and the owner wishes you to be charged.
    When I corrected myself a while ago (on another thread), I looked up the trespass statute (the one handgunlaw mentions above that you could be cited for). It specifically states that you must be PERSONALLY asked to leave a privately owned place otherwise open to the public. To me that means that you are not trespassing until you are asked to leave by a person, in which case, you better promptly leave. My guess is that the attorney that handgunlaw talked with was (as good attorneys usually do), advising of staying far away from the line so as to not be construed as being over the line.

(Edited post to add this - begin)
    Handgunlaw gives the Colorado Revised Statute number and link for other questions they are answering, but does not have a statute number for this answer.
    Also, do not take this as legal advice - contact your own attorney. I am neither an attorney nor a non-attorney spokesperson.
    (Edited post to add this - end)

Personally, I try to avoid such places (I go to the local wings place instead of Buffalo Wild Wings, etc). But I won't state that I never carry in places where there is a no-carry sign.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    What is not illegal is legal.
    s9601694, sixgun and MikeT57 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by SLS075 View Post
    Thanks for posting that updated link. Based on a check of that site after I received my permit, I believed signs did not have the force of law. I'll need to check more carefully for posted signs now.
    Same with me!! I am going to look into that a little deeper

Edit: I guess I just did by reading the rest of the posts. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by s9601694 View Post
    I don't CC where it's against the law (schools, etc.) but i do regularly CC in businesses that post "no guns" like the Flatiron Mall.

I'd rather be asked to leave and take my business elsewhere than to face a situation where I would rather have my gun with me and not have it with me.. A situation with a larger chance of happening in places with a no-guns sign.

Does anyone else do this under the "out of eye out of mind" principle?

In Florida signs carry no force of law, however where you live they indeed do. I would not admit I do this to anyone. You would be asked to leave, and probably be taken to jail and then no more permit, It wouldn't matter at that point because you wouldn't be allowed to have a gun probably forever. As to the answer to your question to "Out of eye out of mind" No I don't do it.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

I think,in S.C.,there is more to it,than just being asked to leave.I haven't read the laws on that lately.The stores and malls around here,just dont have the signs up.One mall,in the town beside me,did have the no gun signs up.One day i went by there, and the signs were gone.If i carried,where i wasn't suppose to,i doubt i would tell anyone.

If you carry a concealed weapon and it is truly "concealed", no one will
    ever know, right? I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I agree with the statement made earlier in the posts here.
    I don't CC where it's against the law (schools, etc.) but I do regularly CC
    in businesses that post "no guns". I'd rather be asked to leave and take
    my business elsewhere than to face a situation where I would rather have
    my gun with me and not have it with me. A situation with a larger chance
    of happening in places with a no-guns sign.

Soft targets are dreams come true for the criminals.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links