Defensive Carry banner

CC in businesses that post "no guns"

6K views 47 replies 37 participants last post by  blake716 
#1 ·
I don't CC where it's against the law (schools, etc.) but i do regularly CC in businesses that post "no guns" like the Flatiron Mall.

I'd rather be asked to leave and take my business elsewhere than to face a situation where I would rather have my gun with me and not have it with me.. A situation with a larger chance of happening in places with a no-guns sign.

Does anyone else do this under the "out of eye out of mind" principle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
If you are convicted of a felony, you won't be carrying anywhere. Your state laws may vary. Here in libtarded California, I can still carry in schools and movie theaters, and can freely ignore signs except in Government buildings..

#8 ·
Here in libtarded California, I can still carry in schools and movie theaters, and can freely ignore signs except in Government buildings..
Uh, you may want to check out the schools situation in CA. There are county specific regs also, but I believe school carry is a specific no no. I'm trying to pull the specifics out of my brain and may be wrong, but it seems like it states that only with principal permission may a non-police on duty carry on school grounds. Calgunforums.com should have good direction.
California Penal Code 626.9 (l): click.

626.9. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the
Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.

(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm under any of the following circumstances:

(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other firearm ... in a locked container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.

(l) This section does not apply to ... a person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 26150) of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6 ...​

But then, that's CA. Doesn't really apply to CO.

#5 ·
Have always lived in a state where such signage carried no force of law. And so, I've never really gone looking for such signs.

May I never, ever live in such a place that values the lives of citizens so little as to give others the power over me regarding my ability to effectively protect my own life.

If ever asked to leave, though, I'd leave. A charge of criminal trespass isn't my thing. If I do happen to notice such signs, I often bring to the attention of the ranking manager at the store why they're losing my business (and my money) permanently.

It comes to this: it's nobody's business whether I'm capable of withstanding criminal violence against me, as it's not a threat to anyone (except, of course, to criminals attempting such a thing). And for them (the assailants), I'll let them know as firmly and directly as I'm capable of doing, if the moment arises. Otherwise ... concealed is good.

#6 ·
Uh, you may want to check out the schools situation in CA. There are county specific regs also, but I believe school carry is a specific no no. I'm trying to pull the specifics out of my brain and may be wrong, but it seems like it states that only with principal permission may a non-police on duty carry on school grounds. Calgunforums.com should have good direction.

#13 ·
In Florida signs carry no force of law, however where you live they indeed do. I would not admit I do this to anyone. You would be asked to leave, and probably be taken to jail and then no more permit, It wouldn't matter at that point because you wouldn't be allowed to have a gun probably forever. As to the answer to your question to "Out of eye out of mind" No I don't do it.

#14 ·
I think,in S.C.,there is more to it,than just being asked to leave.I haven't read the laws on that lately.The stores and malls around here,just dont have the signs up.One mall,in the town beside me,did have the no gun signs up.One day i went by there, and the signs were gone.If i carried,where i wasn't suppose to,i doubt i would tell anyone.

#15 ·
If you carry a concealed weapon and it is truly "concealed", no one will
ever know, right? I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I agree with the statement made earlier in the posts here.
I don't CC where it's against the law (schools, etc.) but I do regularly CC
in businesses that post "no guns". I'd rather be asked to leave and take
my business elsewhere than to face a situation where I would rather have
my gun with me and not have it with me. A situation with a larger chance
of happening in places with a no-guns sign.

Soft targets are dreams come true for the criminals.

#17 ·
From what I read the signs in your state carry the force of law unless I misread it so would it not be against the law? I don't necessarily agree with it just asking. :smile:

#16 ·
I try my best to obey all firearms laws. I enjoy the fact that we, as a group, are among the most law abiding citizens. And sure, there are some cases where I must disarm to shop for what I need, if the store is posted. And I don't like doing it.

However, in most cases I avoid doing business, wherever possible, with stores that clearly don't want me (a legally armed citizen) there. If one gas station/stop-and-rob is posted, I give my money to the Speedway that is not posted across the street - even if I never go inside. If one sandwich shop posts, I give my business to another. Been doing it for several years, as have many folks I know who carry.

If the store is just following corporate policy/procedures, there may not be a lot that can be done. A smaller business may reconsider if they receive enough emails or "no guns, no money" cards explaining that they lose "X" amount of business from me every week that I give to their competitors.

In any case, I just feel good knowing that I'm denying them revenue in return for them posting a sign saying they don't want my business.

#20 ·
Here in Mississippi the choice is though. Signs have no weight of law if you have the enhanced sticker on your permit. I still don't like supporting business that are anti gun.

#21 ·
I mentioned above (post #6) that "you may want to check out the schools situation in CA. There are county specific regs also, but I believe school carry is a specific no no." It was rebutted by a couple other members and that's fine with me. I just want to remind folks that the argument that you believe you have the right to carry in a school may not win the day.

I would hate for someone with a permit carry someplace they think might be okay but not be sure and find out that they are wrong. Or I guess that they are right but have to spend a lot of money proving it. Also might make it difficult to renew that permit. I carry to defend my family and self and am willing to comply with what the local enforcement says is off limits. I'm safe enough picking up my grandchildren at school that I don't fear for my life anyway.

#25 ·
I mentioned above (post #6) that "you may want to check out the schools situation in CA. There are county specific regs also, but I believe school carry is a specific no no." It .
Unless something that I am not aware of has superceeded it, the "gun free schools act" PC 626.9, subsection (L) exempts , among others, "a person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4". If someone can verify that this is wrong, PLEASE let me know.

#28 ·
Because sometimes there might not be a choice. Do business with them or do without?

As I stated on one of the other thousand or so threads on this topic, if I need to do business there, I go (with my concealed pistol), take care of it, and leave.

#24 ·
I like living in a state where the legislature was smart enough to respect & support a business owners right to ask me to leave if I'm discovered carrying a concealed weapon in a "No Weapons" establishment, while still respecting & supporting my right to personal defense regardless of an arbitrary position about concealed weapons on the part of a business owner. IMHO, it's the beat of both worlds. Because the "No Weapons" signage has no statutory teeth here in the Commonwealth, I carry in ALL locales not expressly forbidden as a legal condition of my Concealed Permit. :image035:

#26 ·
Why subject yourself to a scene and risk embarrassment, or even a trespass arrest or citation in some jurisdictions? If a business owner posts a "no guns" warning, you should respect that--at the end of the day it is their property. Just do business elsewhere at a competitor and let the management know you are and why. If enough folks do this, the anti-gun businesses will get it, as it hits them in the pocket.

Reactions: EHPhoto
#31 ·
in texas the signs have to be of a specific stature, height of lettering, and constrasting colors to be considered written rule of law....if they only have a "no guns sign" or a picture of a gun with a cross through it then you can lawfully ignore it, but if discovered and asked to leave then you'd better leave or it will be considered tresspassing.

#33 ·
Yea that is spot on, commonly known as "30.06 signs". That has nothing to do with 30-06 caliber, it refers to Penal Code Sec. 30.06 which is the legal justification they have provided for private entities that choose to ban CHLs. Also, there is a sign commonly seen in virtually all bars and many restaurants that reads "51%", that means that the establishment generates at least that amount of gross revenue from sales of alcohol for on premises consumption. That isn't a voluntary thing, it is state law so no matter how pro 2A an owner is, if they fall into that category they have no choice. Alcoholic beverage code in TX is a convoluted mess of many archaic laws and are enforced by the TABC, a black sheep offshoot of the DPS that has a universally horrible public reputation.

It is pretty amusing to see the signs that are totally out of compliance. For instance, the building in which I work, which is a generic general office building with a wide range of small businesses renting space, has text on the doors that says "No firearms allowed", nothing more. That carries about as much legal weight as writing "No Double Mint gum allowed". Another is one of my favorite restaurants in Dallas that is not a 51% but does sell alcohol, it is a high priced steakhouse type place so they make enough off their food sales that they don't make 51%. They have one of those pistol with a circle and line through it stickers, I carry there often.

#32 ·
I agree with all who said check your local laws and obey them, else you are simply another gun criminal.

With that said, I am not a lawyer, but it certainly seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen if someone is harmed in an establishment not allowing firearms if people are injured in a situation where having legally armed citizens might have prevented such.

In essence, if the establishment's rules are what prevented citizens from protecting themselves under the 2nd amendment, then the establishment facilitated the harm. Yes, establishments may have the right to ban firearms, but they should be accountable for not allowing citizens to defend themselves. IMHO, this should also apply to schools and other municipally established "gun free zones." Lawmakers should be held accountable for laws that put citizens at risk by denying them their right to life, their right to defend their lives, and bearing arms to do so.

I wish I could go back in time - I would have been a constitutional lawyer - our rights are being stripped away.

#36 ·
I've been really looking for signs in Longmont, Boulder, Loveland and Fort Collins over the past months and ironically the only place with a "firearms need to be unloaded and cased" sign was the Front Range Gun Club in Loveland!

Either I'm not seeing the signs, they're not there or I don't go to anti stores to begin with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.