Can you draw so the BGs will possibly "Back Off?" - Page 2

Can you draw so the BGs will possibly "Back Off?"

This is a discussion on Can you draw so the BGs will possibly "Back Off?" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Brandishing" is a pejorative term, with an almost universally negative connotation. If I legitimately believe I am in imminent danger of serious physical harm and ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Can you draw so the BGs will possibly "Back Off?"

"Brandishing" is a pejorative term, with an almost universally negative connotation.

If I legitimately believe I am in imminent danger of serious physical harm and I draw my weapon, that is not "brandishing" - that's making ready.

If there is a bunch of punks outside my store hassling customers and I walk out to chase them away with my gun in my hand, that will probably be considered "brandishing."

Those aren't absolute definitions, just reasonable examples. See the difference?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Here'sa bit of information about intimidation under Texas law:

Texas Penal Code Section 9.04--Threats as Justifiable

" The threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not constitute the use of deadly force."

So, threats are justifiable under Texas law. If an individual believea it is necessary to threaten an attacker in an effort to thwart his intentions, the CHL carrier can do so. Police officers draw handguns everyday in an effort to persuade thugs to stop, and so can CHL carriers. BUT, I will agree with another commenter...call the police and make a report. Bad guys don't call the police and say, "hey,I was about to commit a crime and
    this guy pointed a gun at me." Give the police some credit for being able to sort things out.
    Bark'n and TVJ like this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    It would be hard to draw and not to shoot based on the countless hours of practice drawing and shooting that I have done over the years. Yep, If I draw the prep will get at least two rounds center mass.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Anytime you draw your firearm in SD, you open up a can of worms. Be prepared to eat worms.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    It would be hard to draw and not to shoot based on the countless hours of practice drawing and shooting that I have done over the years. Yep, If I draw the prep will get at least two rounds center mass.
    Are you saying that if you draw your gun and the bad guy immediately puts his arms above his head and screams, "Don't shoot! Don't Shoot!" you're going to go ahead and shoot him?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

And...........BG's don't usually call the cops.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I've had to draw my gun several times in my life and every time the BG ran away from me as fast as they could run and I've never had to fire a single shot to get rid of them. All criminals are cowards at heart and only want to attack the helpless people.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Distinguished Member
    Pulling a gun is self defense is a serious, life changing matter. That being said, if you pull your gun, you better be prepared to shoot. If the situation has gotten to the point you honestly feel you are in fear for you life, it's time to defend yourself. Don't pull a gun to threaten.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I've had to draw my gun several times in my life and every time the BG ran away from me as fast as they could run and I've never had to fire a single shot to get rid of them. All criminals are cowards at heart and only want to attack the helpless people.
    Well, at least the few you've encountered happened to be. The pair who attacked me also gave it up immediately upon me drawing, as well. But bona fide baddies are indeed out there; you and I just haven't seen 'em yet.
    USM1976, pittypat21 and MrsHB like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Self DEFENSE is, IMHO, only a matter of preparation & awareness. Once I have determined that the threshold to defend myself has been reached, I am no longer in a defensive mode or mindset. I am now on the OFFENSIVE & my goal is now to force my aggressor to respond to what I am doing. No one "blocks" their way to victory in a fistfight & no one wins a gunfight with their gun...still in their holster. If you believe you must defend yourself, then go on the offensive and...draw your handgun. That is not, by legal definition, brandishing.
    USM1976, Bark'n, ccw9mm and 1 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Self DEFENSE is, IMHO, only a matter of preparation & awareness. Once I have determined that the threshold to defend myself has been reached, I am no longer in a defensive mode or mindset. I am now on the OFFENSIVE & my goal is now to force my aggressor to respond to what I am doing. No one "blocks" their way to victory in a fistfight & no one wins a gunfight with their gun...still in their holster. If you believe you must defend yourself, then go on the offensive and...draw your handgun. That is not, by legal definition, brandishing.
    +1,000

I hate to use the word offensive mindset in mixed company because so many underinformed people will have a tendency to misconstrue what that really means. But you've said it quite well.

Just the word defense instills a negative connotation to hold in your mind. If your mind is processing words like defense, defensive, and blocking strikes you're already behind the curve. Yet, in order to stay in "good graces" as far as the law is concerned, we can not be seen as the aggressor. However, in a life or death fight, you better be aggressive and offensive in the fight or you're the loser.

Too many people, as well as the legal community look at an Offensive Mindset as a bad thing. It is not.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You draw only when you feel your life is in danger, Period. And when you draw you should be prepared to fire if necessary. You don't draw simply to avoid a situation that hasn't happened yet. After you draw, the BG's my decide to disengage, which is what Lott was referring to.

Of course waiting doesnt mean waiting until you have a knife at your throat or a gun drawn on you.
    If I draw it Im a very short hair from firing. BG makes use of that short hair to back off or not is up to BG.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

If you are going to draw your weapon: 1-there is demonstrated hostile intent by the BG(s); 2-you believe your life (or that of loved ones) is in danger; 3-you intend to pull the trigger to defend yourself and others.

However, in the course of the draw (or even after), the same BG(s) decides to run away then they are no longer a threat and your life (or that of others) is no longer in danger.

If you decide to draw your weapon "to scare someone" and none of the conditions from the first paragraph above apply--then you are menacing and you are committing a crime.

Draw you weapon to defend, NOT scare.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Re: Can you draw so the BGs will possibly "Back Off?"

My gun was used in defense once,yet I never drew or fired a shot. I posted the story here but long story short thought I was being set up for a robbery at a gas station in the middle of nowhere Arkansas and I placed my hand on my pistol and the guy decided to move on.

______
    Sent from my mobile device
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links