Can you draw so the BGs will possibly "Back Off?"

This is a discussion on Can you draw so the BGs will possibly "Back Off?" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kelcarry First off, the BG should never have gotten that close to you. Situational awareness, avoidance and evasion should be upper most ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Can you draw so the BGs will possibly "Back Off?"

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    First off, the BG should never have gotten that close to you. Situational awareness, avoidance and evasion should be upper most on your mind in any scenario. Just not being somewhere that might not be a good place to be in the first place is paramount to your safety. If you still find yourself in a confrontation that you could not avoid in the first place and you have done all your evasion and avoidance, what will you do if the BG is already holding a firearm in his hand when he asks you for a wallet? What then as you fumble through your outer shirt to your holster and then refumble our from your shirt with your firearm? I'm sorry but in my book--you do this you are dead. At least in the scenario I have repeated several times, you at least have placed your firearm in an extremely accessible position after trying to avoid the confrontation before it could even happen and after it has started to happen.
    If you are Fumbling around drawing your weapon you haven't practiced enough IMO.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    If you are Fumbling around drawing your weapon you haven't practiced enough IMO.
    Can you, in all honesty, tell me that there is no difference in time between drawing your firearm from a holster that is located under your shirt or whatever conceals it and raising it up from a position where it is already in your hand oor right by your hand but hidden from view? To me, the answer sure as heck is "there is a difference" and that "difference" can be the difference between life and death.
    My point in previous replies relates to the transfer of the firearm to a more immediate position on your person that is not pointing it at anyone or overtly displaying it as you avoid or evade a potential confrontation that your common sense and situational awareness are telling you is a distinct possibility and heading toward a presumption of imminent danger; something that I do not consider to be brandishing.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Can you, in all honesty, tell me that there is no difference in time between drawing your firearm from a holster that is located under your shirt or whatever conceals it and raising it up from a position where it is already in your hand oor right by your hand but hidden from view? To me, the answer sure as heck is "there is a difference" and that "difference" can be the difference between life and death.
    My point in previous replies relates to the transfer of the firearm to a more immediate position on your person that is not pointing it at anyone or overtly displaying it as you avoid or evade a potential confrontation that your common sense and situational awareness are telling you is a distinct possibility and heading toward a presumption of imminent danger; something that I do not consider to be brandishing.
    I could be misreading your comment, but if you are in a situation that you feel your weapon needs to be drawn and by your side...at what point in the situation did you decide that? If you need your gun drawn and held behind you or pointed down by your side can you accomplish that without being noticed or did you pull it 20 minutes ago....I should think that if the situation is hostile enough or they are close enough for you to draw to be ready for something you will be noticed.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I could be misreading your comment, but if you are in a situation that you feel your weapon needs to be drawn and by your side...at what point in the situation did you decide that? If you need your gun drawn and held behind you or pointed down by your side can you accomplish that without being noticed or did you pull it 20 minutes ago....I should think that if the situation is hostile enough or they are close enough for you to draw to be ready for something you will be noticed.
    First off this more than likely would be at night so the issue of "noticing" is minimized. Secondly, as I indicated in my reply, I am in process of avoiding/evading--perhaps I walked across the street or turned around to turn away from what I am perceiving as a possible threat some distance from me but close enough for me to be concerned (not 20 ft and not 50 yards). Not sure why sarcasm is necessary--20 minutes ago? You do not like my thought process fine but I am trying to have a discussion and not a comedy hour. I am not doing this in a group setting of pedestrians---if I am feeling that first sense of a problem it is not going to be where others are around.

"RABBIT SEASON!"

"DUCK SEASON!"

"RABBIT SEASON!"

"DUCK SEASON!"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, when you fear for your life and you draw your gun, that is NOT brandishing.

If drawing your weapon forces the bad guys to back off, that's great...you have accomplished what you set out to do...defend yourself with a gun.
    Yup! It worked for me. I drew, BGs scattered like roaches, I called the police - BGs arrested!
    USM1976 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Southern Indiana but have a permanent residence in South Coastal Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    If you draw for gun...whether you fire or not, CALL THE POLICE. This way a case # is assigned.

If you don't call, you can be sure the BG will, and whoever calls first is the victim.
    I got in that scenario when younger and dumber. I pulled on a guy that had gone, let`s see--- there is a tehnical term for it---oh yeah, bat crap crazy in a parking lot and I tried to retreat. I backed up as much as I could until I was literally against the wall. He kept advancing on me and swinging his arms, yelling at the top of his lungs. Now, I`m not a real big guy but I ain`t no push over (6'4" 200 lbs) but this guy was taller and a little heavier and had me scared the way he was coming off. Plus, he had retreated at one point to his car and got right back out. I was afraid he also had a weapon. Finally when he was about 4' away, I pulled and held it pointed down, ready to bring it up and fire. It was a double action wheel gun. Any who, he was not as whacked out as it seems and backed up and finally left. Now, cell phones were few and far between and I had to get the adrenilin down. I was busy and I went on to work and did not call the cops. But, he did. I had to go talk to the prosecuter and got an "official" warning but no charges were filed due to the fact the guy that was after me was well known in the courts as being a lunatic. I learned an important lesson from that ordeal.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have"--- Thomas Jefferson, 1778.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    If he backs off before I shoot him, its a good day for both of us... but if I draw, I intend to shoot.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Well said !!!

Just be careful if you draw. Remember the laws are here to protect the BGs so they have more rights than you do.

i'd rather try to escape the situation entirely if possible vs drawing hoping the BGs will run off. If i ever have to draw, I intend to shoot and will not hesitate to do so..

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    A lot of good information has been passed out, but what I'd like to know is if anyone that has commented has ever been the victim in a mugging or attempted mugging and was there any guns involved. I have and none of the laws flashed thru my mind, only the need to do what ever to protect myself and ward off the attacker. Let me just say that I successfully defended myself with no repercussions whatsoever.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links