Defensive Carry banner

Drunk kids in the woods shooting

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  nontechguy 
#1 ·
A couple of years ago me and a few friends with trucks went about 35 miles up into the mountains to an old (unused) airstrip to do some cruising around in the mud holes and trails one night. There were probably 3 or 4 trucks and we came across a few people on 4 wheelers that were camping up there.

This is a place that people with motorcycles, 4 wheelers, etc. will camp for a couple of days, party, and ride/drive their vehicles around at all hours of the day and night. People riding all night long is not uncommon.

Well we had stopped at the end of the airstrip and were about to go home and we see a truck racing toward us at a high rate of speed down the airstrip. When they are about 50 feet away we could see a rifle come out of the window and fire a couple of rounds into the air. A couple of drunk kids pulled up saying that their wives and children are sleeping and if we don't quiet down there is going to be trouble.

While we were trying to assess the situation and talk with these obviously unpredictable kids these 2 older gentlemen came walking up on us from the other side of the airstrip with large revolvers on. They simply looked at the drunk kids and said (and I will never forget it), "Us and our families are right over there camping and if you fire any more shots I'll kill you". They turned around and walked away.

Needless to say this chased off the unruly punks quite quickly.

There were about 8 or 9 of us at least and every vehicle had a few guns of various types in them.

I've thought about this situation a many times over the past couple of years wondering what may have happened if the mysterious gentlemen hadn't come over. I don't really know if I am asking anything, just sharing a situation that happened to me that could have ended worse.

See less See more
#19 ·
Drunk kids in the woods shooting

^^^^Well just^^^^^^^^^^^^

Where do you expect drunk kids to pop off a few rounds, in the city?
There is usually an ordinance against that sort of activity.
J/K

On a more serious note;

The problem with notifying someone that you will kill them is that there are always a few who will then make you do it. If shooting had started between the older guys and the young dummies, it probably would have engulfed everyone. No telling who all might have been hit. The young guys were incredibly stupid, the old guys were incredibly foolish and the rest of you were incredibly lucky. It pays to choose your words carefully, especially when you are talking to armed dummies!

^^^I tend to be in this camp here^^^^^^^

While their tenacity was commendable, unless they( the older guys) knew the "punks", they were throwing a very risky hand to be played out on the table.

#3 ·
Difficult situation, on one hand you have been threatened by drunken teen wielding a fire arm. On the other, if you or your friends were to draw your weapons either they back down or a shootout ensues. You had legal justification to use lethal force. Glad to hear things were settled without anyone going home in a body bag.

#4 ·
I make it a point to avoid places where stupid people do stupid things.

Knowing there would be idiot drunks doing crazy things all hours of the day/night would be enough to have avoided that spot in the first place. Lots of places in this country to go off roading without having to associate with people of that sort.

#7 ·
There are folks some well most older that when they say something like that others just seem to know not to call them on it, because they say what they mean and mean what they say and are quite ready to back it up.
Ive known a few old gentlemen like that. They had killed WW2 Korea Vietnam etc, it wasnt some unknown or scary thing to them and if they told you they would kill you you either took their warning or commenced to shootin.

Id say the old gents knew exactly what they were doing and totally safe while doing it. And knew it

#11 ·
This is exactly why my family seeks out places to camp where there is no one. The two guys in the woods saved you the trouble of having to really get into the thick of it, but were it me, I'd have left and called someone. Thankfully Charles Darwin will eventually take care of those other jerks with the rifle.

#12 ·
The problem with notifying someone that you will kill them is that there are always a few who will then make you do it. If shooting had started between the older guys and the young dummies, it probably would have engulfed everyone. No telling who all might have been hit. The young guys were incredibly stupid, the old guys were incredibly foolish and the rest of you were incredibly lucky. It pays to choose your words carefully, especially when you are talking to armed dummies!

#14 ·
I was stationed at Dyess AFB for a while and one thing I remember from that time was that if an old guy in the bar (privater club) said "they were going to go out to the truck and get their pistol" it was time to leave because that is what they would do for the most part..That was a long time ago but it still sticks with me..

#17 ·
I am trying to figure out how the idiots with the gun figured that your motorcycles were keeping their wives up but their gunfire wouldn't?

What a bunch of idiots. I am glad you didn't find yourself in a gunfight. How far from the airstrip did these idiots pitch their tents?

#18 ·
thats one intresting story and it makes me think of a few stupid things i have done. I agree never come to a fight and turn around. Also when I see a car rushing towrdes me, I would of reached for a blade, seeing a gun out of a window I would of reached for my rifle and been aimed as well (as most of my friends probably would of done the same) However I fully agree I try not to goto places I know stupid people will "unite" to do stupid things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.