Drunk kids in the woods shooting

This is a discussion on Drunk kids in the woods shooting within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of years ago me and a few friends with trucks went about 35 miles up into the mountains to an old (unused) airstrip ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Drunk kids in the woods shooting

A couple of years ago me and a few friends with trucks went about 35 miles up into the mountains to an old (unused) airstrip to do some cruising around in the mud holes and trails one night. There were probably 3 or 4 trucks and we came across a few people on 4 wheelers that were camping up there.

This is a place that people with motorcycles, 4 wheelers, etc. will camp for a couple of days, party, and ride/drive their vehicles around at all hours of the day and night. People riding all night long is not uncommon.

Well we had stopped at the end of the airstrip and were about to go home and we see a truck racing toward us at a high rate of speed down the airstrip. When they are about 50 feet away we could see a rifle come out of the window and fire a couple of rounds into the air. A couple of drunk kids pulled up saying that their wives and children are sleeping and if we don't quiet down there is going to be trouble.

While we were trying to assess the situation and talk with these obviously unpredictable kids these 2 older gentlemen came walking up on us from the other side of the airstrip with large revolvers on. They simply looked at the drunk kids and said (and I will never forget it), "Us and our families are right over there camping and if you fire any more shots I'll kill you". They turned around and walked away.

Needless to say this chased off the unruly punks quite quickly.

There were about 8 or 9 of us at least and every vehicle had a few guns of various types in them.

I've thought about this situation a many times over the past couple of years wondering what may have happened if the mysterious gentlemen hadn't come over. I don't really know if I am asking anything, just sharing a situation that happened to me that could have ended worse.

VIP Member
    While their swagger is to be commended, their strategy was terrible. Never sell wolf tickets and then turn your back.
    paintman40, ep1953, TVJ and 5 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Difficult situation, on one hand you have been threatened by drunken teen wielding a fire arm. On the other, if you or your friends were to draw your weapons either they back down or a shootout ensues. You had legal justification to use lethal force. Glad to hear things were settled without anyone going home in a body bag.
    Spade115 likes this.

I make it a point to avoid places where stupid people do stupid things.

Knowing there would be idiot drunks doing crazy things all hours of the day/night would be enough to have avoided that spot in the first place. Lots of places in this country to go off roading without having to associate with people of that sort.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I make it a point to avoid places where stupid people do stupid things.

Knowing there would be idiot drunks doing crazy things all hours of the day/night would be enough to have avoided that spot in the first place. Lots of places in this country to go off roading without having to associate with people of that sort.
    Yep. I never will forget my grandfather telling me once after having to come down town to get me (no way I was calling my dad), "Son, the best way to stay out of trouble is to stay away from it".
    KBSR, pacman, ccw9mm and 2 others like this.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Yeah, I will have to agree with the standard of not going places where stupid things happen. We don't go there anymore.
    mano3 likes this.

There are folks some well most older that when they say something like that others just seem to know not to call them on it, because they say what they mean and mean what they say and are quite ready to back it up.
    Ive known a few old gentlemen like that. They had killed WW2 Korea Vietnam etc, it wasnt some unknown or scary thing to them and if they told you they would kill you you either took their warning or commenced to shootin.

Id say the old gents knew exactly what they were doing and totally safe while doing it. And knew it
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Never pick a fight with old men...
    mano3, OldVet and Spade115 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am glad those guys showed up. I wish I could thank them.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yep if for no other reason than bowel control isnt what it used to be after a certain age and at the least your likely to get crapped all over during the struggle
    BkCo1 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

This is exactly why my family seeks out places to camp where there is no one. The two guys in the woods saved you the trouble of having to really get into the thick of it, but were it me, I'd have left and called someone. Thankfully Charles Darwin will eventually take care of those other jerks with the rifle.

The problem with notifying someone that you will kill them is that there are always a few who will then make you do it. If shooting had started between the older guys and the young dummies, it probably would have engulfed everyone. No telling who all might have been hit. The young guys were incredibly stupid, the old guys were incredibly foolish and the rest of you were incredibly lucky. It pays to choose your words carefully, especially when you are talking to armed dummies!
    Jeanlouise, Spade115 and Hopyard like this.

Definitely a potentially very dangerous situation. Glad it worked out safely.

I was stationed at Dyess AFB for a while and one thing I remember from that time was that if an old guy in the bar (privater club) said "they were going to go out to the truck and get their pistol" it was time to leave because that is what they would do for the most part..That was a long time ago but it still sticks with me..

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yep. They didn't get old doing stupid stuff. Time to look for a new place to get muddy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links