Conditon "white" - Page 2

Conditon "white"

This is a discussion on Conditon "white" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a similiar thing at lunch just hours ago. While home for lunch at about 12:20 I was eating a sandwich and all of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Conditon "white"

I had a similiar thing at lunch just hours ago. While home for lunch at about 12:20 I was eating a sandwich and all of sudden a very hard knock on the door. The doorbell never rang. I never have anyone at the door around noon. I walked over and looked out and saw nothing, now I got very concerned. As I sat back down another knock almost as hard as the first. This time I got up and picked up my XD and walked back to the door. Looking out and again seeing nothing I took a chance and opend the door with the pistol ready to fire. I walked out onto the front sidewalk and cleared around the house. I never saw anyone or any strange cars. I stayed at home for another hour or so and then headed back to work. Needless to say the house will be completely checked when I return home.

Quote Originally Posted by mbguy29577 View Post
    Sometimes we all get lazy or just forget about it. This lesson made you more aware. I simply keep one on my person 24/7. Nothing to remember then.
    Don't have that option, I'm a school teacher. I have to get home to unlock and go to condition yellow. But this was a good wake up call, regardless if she was legit or not.

Jim

I don't have young kids in the home anymore which enables me to have a 357 snubbie in reach of the front door in a remarkably accessible but very concealed place. I would say the first mistake was actually opening the door, we don't open ours anymore. We just talk through the glass, and if we do open there's a bar that locks the door at about 2 inches like a hotel room. Be careful, a lot of people are cased that way for a later robbery, and she may have been checking the place out for someone else. I had some guys try to sell me firewood, then came later that night and stole both our new Honda motorcycles secured with a logging chain. Always ask for a card or something to further learn the intent of the visitor. Sounds odd to me.

Seeing it was Buffalo (I left Buffalo when I was 20 and never looked back), wouldn't be surprised if she was one of Schumer and Bloomberg's undercover 'brown shirts' to sniff out gun owners.

Hate Buffalo, but miss the food

Being from Florida I don't really know all that much, but I suspect 6" of snow pretty well keeps the weeds in check.
    Smarshe and msgt/ret like this.

When I am in my home, I feel fine having one of my guns within reach. Sitting on the couch, as I am now, my gun if far more accessible on my end table than if it were IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    Gunsandviolience, like your AVATAR. Do you play the fiddle?
    I fiddle around a bit. I like the styles and there isn't too much Tartini ever wrote that's any trickier for the bow. But mostly I play the violin. I've been thinking about making an alternate Avatar with my Sartory and PTR 91 (in classic wood, of course).

I also thought of an event that reminded me of your experience. A while back, this sketchy guy was making the rounds saying he was selling candy. My wife sent him away from the side door but called to me out the back window. I came around the other side of the house to conduct an 'interview' of my own. He did have some candy with him, but something didn't seem right. I wished him luck with his endeavor, but very politely let him know that he had missed a number of very prominently located No Trespassing and No Soliciting signs and that it was absolutely NOT OK for him to be here. I wished him a pleasant day and sent him off to tell all his little friends to avoid our property in the future. And yes, I had my .45 IWB. Upon checking in with neighbors, I found he had given people inconsistent accounts of what or whom the candy was to benefit. So I think my gut instinct was correct.

This kind of thing used to happen fairly often, but this was the only time since I 'posted.' Hasn't happened since. However, a couple weeks later, there were some break-ins just south of us. So again, my gut feeling that he was out assessing and interviewing was probably correct.

Cheers and stay safe!

Gav

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    I put my gun on when I get dressed in the morning and take it off when I go to bed..
    Ditto, mine is on right now. ALWAYS listen to your gut my friend. Even if you were wrong, you're safer.

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    I fiddle around a bit. I like the styles and there isn't too much Tartini ever wrote that's any trickier for the bow. But mostly I play the violin. I've been thinking about making an alternate Avatar with my Sartory and PTR 91 (in classic wood, of course).

I also thought of an event that reminded me of your experience. A while back, this sketchy guy was making the rounds saying he was selling candy. My wife sent him away from the side door but called to me out the back window. I came around the other side of the house to conduct an 'interview' of my own. He did have some candy with him, but something didn't seem right. I wished him luck with his endeavor, but very politely let him know that he had missed a number of very prominently located No Trespassing and No Soliciting signs and that it was absolutely NOT OK for him to be here. I wished him a pleasant day and sent him off to tell all his little friends to avoid our property in the future. And yes, I had my .45 IWB. Upon checking in with neighbors, I found he had given people inconsistent accounts of what or whom the candy was to benefit. So I think my gut instinct was correct.

This kind of thing used to happen fairly often, but this was the only time since I 'posted.' Hasn't happened since. However, a couple weeks later, there were some break-ins just south of us. So again, my gut feeling that he was out assessing and interviewing was probably correct.

Cheers and stay safe!

Gav
    I'm a big fan of Torelli, Locatelli, Corelli and Vivaldi. Before this gets flagged for off topic, my hindsight tells me I would have liked to get a card, name of the company, person's name and faked a phone call and snapped her picture just in case things went south at a later date. Being in condition white with my Glock stupidly upstairs locked away, I opened the front door only long enough to say no thank you. Maybe she was legit, maybe not. Couldn't see the vehicle she came in to know if there were others as well. Point taken, always be prepared. I used to keep something up high as a front door gun but my 5 year old was getting wary. Yes, we've had the talk but she's still 5. The 3 year old I don't trust.
    Jim
    Holy expletive Batman, you have a Sartory? I had a Sartory bow from my great uncle but my sister broke it accidentally in the 80's. I still have his violin (1880's unknown but sounds fantastic) and a Lupot bow from him. My main violin is by Andrew Hyde (1896) who incidentally had copyrights for pistols of his invention and worked with Edison on the light bulb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links