Conditon "white"

This is a discussion on Conditon "white" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm embarrassed to say tonight I was in condition white when the doorbell rang. At 7:51PM during a raging wind storm in February with 6 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Conditon "white"

Conditon "white"

I'm embarrassed to say tonight I was in condition white when the doorbell rang. At 7:51PM during a raging wind storm in February with 6 inches of snow still covering the ground a pretty young lady rang my bell and asked me if I wanted a free estimate for weed control on my yard. I quickly said no and closed the door but my SA screamed where is your gun? I went upstairs, unlocked my Glock and strapped it IWB. Dumb, dumb , dumb. 20 years ago, she was probably asking to spray my lawn but in Buffalo, in February, during a storm at nearly 8PM on a Monday night in Buffalo? Really? Usually I come home from school and at least shove my LCP with the DeSantis holster in my back pocket. Tonight could have ended badly because I got lax. No more. Had I been carrying, I would have gotten her card, checked things out and reported to the police that at the very least, she likely didn't have a permit to solicit in the town I reside in. I'm not against drumming up business but this was weird and in the 8 years I've lived hear, unheard of. Am I being paranoid or unrational? I'll let you decide.

Jim

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say tonight I was in condition white when the doorbell rang. At 7:51PM during a raging wind storm in February with 6 inches of snow still covering the ground a pretty young lady rang my bell and asked me if I wanted a free estimate for weed control on my yard. I quickly said no and closed the door but my SA screamed where is your gun? I went upstairs, unlocked my Glock and strapped it IWB. Dumb, dumb , dumb. 20 years ago, she was probably asking to spray my lawn but in Buffalo, in February, during a storm at nearly 8PM on a Monday night in Buffalo? Really? Usually I come home from school and at least shove my LCP with the DeSantis holster in my back pocket. Tonight could have ended badly because I got lax. No more. Had I been carrying, I would have gotten her card, checked things out and reported to the police that at the very least, she likely didn't have a permit to solicit in the town I reside in. I'm not against drumming up business but this was weird and in the 8 years I've lived hear, unheard of. Am I being paranoid or unrational? I'll let you decide.

Jim
    You are fine. Paranoid people don't keep their Glock locked up upstairs.
    KBSR likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I think your SA was good ... how pretty was she? lol
    PAPADALE1 and Spade115 like this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

...lotsa fellers have been caught with that bait...glad you weren't...might have been legit but door-knockers are a scam-a-minute bunch these days...glad you learned a cheap lesson...I'd say you're right on in your hindsight...thanks for the reminders...

Jim

Yup, I'd wager that many of us have been caught with our.....SA down, when a pretty young lady is involved. Sounds plenty odd to me so I think any paranoia that might have been aroused would not be inappropriate.

Thanks for the reminder, stay safe and go easy on them Ysaye Preludes. Spend too much time with those mind-bending fingerings and you won't just forget your gun, you'll forget your own name and start babbling in Walloon.

Gunsandviolience, like your AVATAR. Do you play the fiddle?

VIP Member
    February, snow on the ground and selling weed control I would be quite suspicious.
    ep1953 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well I kinda hate to say it but anytime a pretty young girl approaches me about anything I tend to get suspicious. Of course Im 54, look like big foot with no front teeth and normally in biker leather since thats the way i get around. NOT the sort of looking fellow that pretty young girls tend to approach willingly. But they are probably safer around me than their burr haircut boyfriends.
    PAPADALE1, Snub44, mano3 and 3 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Jim
    Back in the 1980's, I had a job working for a lawn service. They did send us out to knock doors WAY before it was the appropriate season to do so. I think this was (a) to see if we were committed to our jobs and (b) to make us REALLY appreciate the leads that were eventually handed to us when the actual season did finally arrive.

I know that to persons not involved in that industry, it seems just bizarre, but there are some business owners that do require this of their sales staff.

I am glad that I'm no longer doing that.
    Smarshe likes this.

I put my gun on when I get dressed in the morning and take it off when I go to bed..
    Snub44, nontechguy and BkCo1 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "but in Buffalo, in February, during a storm at nearly 8PM on a Monday night in Buffalo?"

Yeah, your BG radar was definitely down on that one. Here in S. FL the latest scheme is a young, "battered" lady at the door asking to use the phone and then a few minutes later the AK-armed and hooded thugs burst in. For me it was the offer of "alarm service" installation, with the alarm permit clearly on the door. I think the hand in the pocket of my 6906 may have detered that one.

So you've had a refresher lessons. All is good now. Be safe.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sometimes we all get lazy or just forget about it. This lesson made you more aware. I simply keep one on my person 24/7. Nothing to remember then.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Don't feel alone...here's something to think about...

Thieves target cop's home | News - Home

Sounds like she was just checking to see if anyone was actually home.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I think you misunderstood her. Based on the time of day and conditions she was more likely selling weed than weed control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links