2 stories: closest to needing gun; closest to drawing gun

This is a discussion on 2 stories: closest to needing gun; closest to drawing gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two quick stories: 1. This was almost 20 years before I bought my 1st gun, and the closest I've ever come to feeling like I ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By xXxplosive
  • 1 Post By JJVP
  • 3 Post By rjinga
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By rjinga

Thread: 2 stories: closest to needing gun; closest to drawing gun

2 stories: closest to needing gun; closest to drawing gun

Two quick stories:

1. This was almost 20 years before I bought my 1st gun, and the closest I've ever come to feeling like I might need one. Wife and I lived in an attic apartment in a small town. To get to our door you have to come down the drive between two houses and then up two flights of outside stairs. In other words, we didn't get a lot of foot traffic. Well, we're eating dinner, and I had my back to the unlocked screen door when I hear a voice asking if Bob (I don't remember the name) is here. I turned and there's this guy standing about 8' away in the open doorway. I tell him there's no Bob here, but he keeps talking and starts stepping further into the apartment. Now I'm up out of my seat, hand up in the universal "halt" position, scanning the room for anything to use as a weapon. The guy stops and after a short, terse (on my part) conversation, I convince him that he's got the wrong address and he leaves. In hindsight, I really think he was just a regular guy looking for his friend, who didn't know that you don't just walk into someone's home uninvited. However, at the time the adrenaline was pumping.

2. My buddy and I and camping with our youngest sons. Late one night, I'm about 40 yards away from the campsite gathering firewood with the boys. I turned my head and my small headlamp picks up a pair of reflective animal eyes coming fast down the trail that runs between us and the camp. There wasn't any barking or growling, no sound at all. I'm thinking rabid coyote, and had my hand on my Ruger LC9, about one second from pulling when my headlamp also picked up the reflective collar - it's a lost coon hunting dog. Sweet dog. Ran up and plopped down at our feet, hungry and exhausted. It never knew how close it came to being shot (at, at least).
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"

2. Remove Ads

You've had it easy, consider yourself blessed so far. But ya never know what lifes gonna test you with.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

1911's right...............on the 1st one......maybe you keep your door locked now.
    mano3 and CharlesMorri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    ......maybe you keep your door locked now.
    Oh we do, don't worry.

So, what happened to the dog? You found the owner? You kept it? Let it go to fend for himself? What, what what? Inquiring minds want to know.
    moonraker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    So, what happened to the dog?
    We ate him. JUST KIDDING. Owner's name and phone number were on the collar; we called and he came and got him that night.
    Nebraska12, TVJ and CharlesMorri like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I bet that hound was thinking, "Thank God, people!"
    dtox likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hound still thinking; (glad I didn't run into any coon's)

Guy at your apt. probably was looking for the last occupant who had moved out prior to your arrival.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Re: 2 stories: closest to needing gun; closest to drawing gun

Quote Originally Posted by rjinga View Post
    We ate him. JUST KIDDING.
    Too funny!

Sent using my Tap-a-talkinator
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    .... Guy at your apt. probably was looking for the last occupant who had moved out prior to your arrival.
    Maybe he thought he was, but the last occupant was a single woman. Like I said, in hindsight I don't think he had any evil intent, just REALLY bad manners. However, if he'd come any further toward me and my wife I'm afraid it would have turned ugly.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Maybe later, he was thinking, "Damn, I just ran 20 miles to get away from my stupid owner and now I have to go back!"

Links