Hot tub, gun, and do ya ?

This is a discussion on Hot tub, gun, and do ya ? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your yard your tub, carry your gun. Try a big freezer bag. If you have to shoot fast, you should be able to pull the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot tub, gun, and do ya ?

Your yard your tub, carry your gun.

Try a big freezer bag.

If you have to shoot fast, you should be able to pull the trigger through the bag.

Might want to prove it out in the boonies first.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Get a small floating table for the gun, so it can be in the hot tub with ya.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

"911...What Seems To Be The Problem, M'am?"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "What a funny site! Walking to the hot tub bare ass naked with a towel and a 1911."

Terry Cloth Holster & Bathrobe Belt Combination.
    "Help, hurry, there is a naked man in the yard next door, and he's running around the yard with a BIG gun...HURRY!"

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    How abouts a small cooler? The can that supposed to fit a 6 pack, but really holds four with ice.

I like the kydex holster idea too. This is exactly wht Gaston put Glocks on this earth. As much as I love my 1911's, this is a job for a Glock. After all, if it does rust, who cares?

You are being a little paranoid, but no one said that was a bad thing.
    The reality is, if a BG were to be scoping out a good time to attack you at your residence, exactly the time when you're otherwise occupied and most likely unarmed would be the time. Like, in the hot tub. Paranoid? Not with as many BG's as there are, being lit up like that, being obviously unarmed at the moment, etc. Should be seen for what it is: a prime opportunity for an opportunistic BG.

Why not consider a holster that could be mounted on the outside of the tub. Something like the ones used for mounting on the side of the bed. It could be right there, if needed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I thought there was a member of this forum who was a victim in an encounter where he was in his spa at home... I'm waiting to see if someone chimes in to that effect. I coulda sworn I read about it here recently... It was one of those stories where the end result was that this particular member does not go anywhere without being armed anymore.

I agree with all that was stated here.
    I was wondering how long it would take to see the post "...he's walking nekkid to the tub with a towel and a 1911". yeah i know it's funny however ya read it.
    I did see it as I am in condition white (kinda) thats the reason for the hot tub to begin with...relax.
    but it was mentioned that if one were scoping me out then the perfect time to strike would be when i'm outside and theoretically unarmed. well surprise mr. BG!!
    I loved the mention that its a "perfect job for a Glock, cuz it won't rust....and if it did who cares" HA HA HA now thats funny now.
    anyway P95 said it well also if the one time in my life i needed my weapon and i didn't have it, that'd suck.
    I prolly will investigate the issue more in placement of a holster and such but i figure it'll be a lower priority item.
    thanks all and it did kinda turn out to be a funny thread.
    (no offense to those that know people that had issues with being attacked in hot tubs)
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Naked dude with a gun . . . . God, get that image outta my head. Arrrgggghhh.

On the serious side, while it may sound funny to worry about having a gun while in your hot tub, the risk of attack is real.

We can't choose where the bad guy will strike. Maybe the guys can relax thinking that since they are only wearing a pair of swimming trunks, no one will try to rob them since they have nothing on them.

But as Pax just pointed out, the risk to a woman in her hot tub in the back yard would be substantial.

The point Chris made is something I have thought about often. Whenever I make the decision to leave my gun home (i.e., I have to go into DC or I plan to drink a little), I always think, "Wouldn't it be a ***** if THIS is the time the bad guy picks to attack me?"

I said before, I carry 24/7 where it is legal. It doesn't matter if I am in the shower, the john, back yard or bed, if the gun is not on me it is still no more than two steps away from me.

Before you call me paranoid, be aware that all of the voices in my head agree that I'm not.

VIP Member
    Once in a while we like to rent a cabin in Pigeon Forge for a weekend. One of our requirements for the cabin is that it must have a hot tub.

Even though I'm on vacation, I don't let my guard down. We're out in the mountains, beside a bunch of other cabins, and the hot tub is usually on the wraparound deck that anybody wandering into the driveway can access. I take two towels for myself - one body towel to dry off with, and a smaller towel to wrap my gun in. That one sits on the edge of the hot tub on that flat part where you can put drinks and food trays.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

At least its not "just me"...was getting kinda scared there....
    once it becomes part of your daily routine its not easy to let go of...the mentality just follows me.
    R1

Lets keep it that way.

While there are several "funny" comments on this thread, and yes I did laugh at them, I DO consider it to be a serious subject.

I do have a hot tub and my wife and I are in it several times each week. We are concealed by the house on two sides, an 8 foot wood fence on a third side, and about 100 feet of back yard to the back fence. We most always are in it in "condition white" (love that phrase). I always take a handgun and a Surefire light out to the hot tub. We have a small kidney shaped table that is attached to the outside of the tub. It is mounted on a metal tube that allows the table to swivel. When the cover is open and we are in the tub, we swivel it in over the water. I place my gun and light on the table, where it is in hands reach. If by chance a bg came into your backyard while you were enjoying the tub you'd be pretty danged defenseless while sitting naked in the water IMHO.

BTW the table is also good for holding the adult beverage of your choice as well. I consider the money spent for our tub to be some of the best money I have ever spent on anything.

I like your ideas Mikeyinokc.

the exact scenario and mindset i am talking about.

at least i am "not alone" in my thinking here....comforting. lol
    R1

Lets keep it that way.

Know what's wierd? For a short period in my life I had a hot tub in my backyard, right at ground level. My yard was surrounded by forest. Now I am NOT a paranoid guy, even bumps and scrape noises in my house don't get my blood pressure up, I just calmly go investigate if neccesary.

Out in the hot tub, at night, was a different story.....

I could NOT relax. I envisioned how easy it would be for someone to sneak up, what with the noise of the jets and bubbles, the lack of vision, etc.. Occaisionally I'd take a gun out there, but it wouldn't do much good, any BG could sneak up and get it before I noticed.

Must have beena mental quirk regarding hot tubs, but I really had to work to get that worry and paranoia out of my mind in order to relax out there. :( I've never felt that way in any other situation, before or since.

We moved, and the new house has no hot tub. :)

Quote Originally Posted by jamz View Post
    ... what with the noise of the jets and bubbles, the lack of vision, etc.
    Exactly. To say nothing of the general relaxation ... of body, of mind. None of which is good juju for a violent self-defense situation.

... I'd take a gun out there, but it wouldn't do much good, any BG could sneak up and get it before I noticed.
    One of the nicest outdoor tubs I have used was quiet and not lit up from the inside/base. It was incredibly peaceful to be out in the rain, in the dark, in the relaxation zone. Of course, that column of heated steam above the trees would have pinpointed me, regardless. *sigh*
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

No way it's paranoia

Paranoia: "1 : a psychosis characterized by systematized delusions of persecution or grandeur usually without hallucinations
    2 : a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others "

We carry to avoid persecution (def 1), and anyone reading self-defense stories, particularly involving home intrusions, quickly realizes "irrational suspicion" (def 2) of strangers is an oxymoron.

It's paranoia only if there's no one out to get you. We all know better.

I carry or have a pistol in reach all the time, even in the shower. I would feel like such a fool to need it and think "Damn! left it upstairs".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links