Went orange tonight

This is a discussion on Went orange tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if he was angry and drunk, or listening to angry music on his Ipod/MP3 player, or if he was just nuts while ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Went orange tonight

Went orange tonight

I don't know if he was angry and drunk, or listening to angry music on his Ipod/MP3 player, or if he was just nuts while walking down the street, but I was very glad to have my S&W at my side as I took the dogs out!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Okay...
    SCXDm9 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Funny, that's what I said, although in a slightly more incredulous way, as I watched him walk down the street!!! i am very glad that the wife and I drink filtered water, since I am pretty sure there is something in it!!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    I don't know if he was angry and drunk, or listening to angry music on his Ipod/MP3 player, or if he was just nuts while walking down the street, but I was very glad to have my S&W at my side as I took the dogs out!
    Uh, details
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Went orange?
    USM1976 and Ghost1958 like this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I don't even know what "orange" is?
    USM1976 likes this.

I was out taking the dogs for their last trip out to the yard before bed and noticed a guy walking through the parking lot across the street and he was talking/singing/mumbling in, what appeared to me, as a very aggressive tone. He crossed the street and started walking down my street on the opposite side. I really could not tell if he was just singing along, or was very aggravated at someone or something.

"CONDITION ORANGE- This is a heightened state of alertness, with a specific focal point. The entire difference between Yellow and Orange is this specific target for your attention. Your focal point is the person who is doing whatever drew your attention to him. It might be the fact that he is wearing a field jacket in August. It might be that he's standing by a column in the parking garage, instead of going into the building, or getting in a car and leaving. It might be that you have been in five stores at the mall, and saw this same guy in every one of them. His actions have caused you to take note of him, so you must assess him as a potential threat, just as the fighter pilot assessed the blip earlier.

How do you assess someone as a threat? You have to take into account the totality of the cues available to you. His clothing, appearance, demeanor, actions, anything he says to you, are all cues. The single most important cue is body language. About 80% of human communication is through body language. Predators display subtle pre-aggression indicators, which are obvious once you learn to look for them.

When you shift upward to Orange, you begin to focus your attention on this individual that caught your eye, but do not drop your general over-view. You don't want to be blind-sided by his associates. You begin to watch him and assess his intentions, again looking at all of the cues available to you. Nine times out of ten, after a few seconds of observation, you will be able to see an innocuous reason for his behavior and then dismiss him. Once you figure out he's not a threat, dismiss him and de-escalate right back down to Yellow. Who is the tenth one? He is the predator, who would have got you if you had been inattentive. Now that you are aware of him, you are in far less danger.

As you assess this individual, and you see things that convince you he has evil intent, you start to play the "What if…." game in your mind, to begin formulating a basic plan. This is how we get ahead of the power curve. If he acts suddenly, we must have at least a rudimentary plan for dealing with him already in place, so that we can react swiftly enough. By saying to yourself, "That guy looks like he is about to stick me up, what am I going to do about it?", you begin the mental preparation vital to winning the conflict. With even a simple plan already in place, your physical reaction is both assured and immediate, if the bad guy presses his intentions. If, after assessing him, you believe he is an actual threat, you then escalate to the highest level, Condition Red."

Taken from:
    States of Awareness, the Cooper Color Codes
    ohiorobp likes this.

sounds like youre well versed in colored conditions, not so much in keeping some thoughts to yourself.
    USM1976, DandLfam and GunTrooper like this.

?? autogateman. If you are referring to my "okay" comment, it was an internal monologue, I did not actually say anything.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't try to memorize colors, I just try to pay attention.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Been reading a lot on situational awareness lately. Trying to get better at paying attention!!

The water filters aren't working...change them...seriously, you can be called a paranoid or a survivalist...it's all dependent upon you overall personality before carrying a handgun...
    91wm6 and icemanls2 like this.

...you think THAT's somethin'...you oughta go to WalMarts late at night!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    USM1976, nontechguy, Once and 2 others like this.

I'm not sure what's with all the negativity being directed at the OP, but regardless, 97tbird, I'm glad nothing happened and that you were keeping an eye out.
    VTXDM40 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I'm not sure what's with all the negativity being directed at the OP, but regardless, 97tbird, I'm glad nothing happened and that you were keeping an eye out.
    It boils down to this for me...why memorize a series of color to describe the raised hackles on the back of your neck. Who really trains like that ???

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links