Defensive Carry banner

Went orange tonight

6K views 65 replies 34 participants last post by  65108 
#1 ·
I don't know if he was angry and drunk, or listening to angry music on his Ipod/MP3 player, or if he was just nuts while walking down the street, but I was very glad to have my S&W at my side as I took the dogs out!

#3 ·
Funny, that's what I said, although in a slightly more incredulous way, as I watched him walk down the street!!! i am very glad that the wife and I drink filtered water, since I am pretty sure there is something in it!!

#6 ·
I don't even know what "orange" is?

Reactions: USM1976
#7 ·
I was out taking the dogs for their last trip out to the yard before bed and noticed a guy walking through the parking lot across the street and he was talking/singing/mumbling in, what appeared to me, as a very aggressive tone. He crossed the street and started walking down my street on the opposite side. I really could not tell if he was just singing along, or was very aggravated at someone or something.

"CONDITION ORANGE- This is a heightened state of alertness, with a specific focal point. The entire difference between Yellow and Orange is this specific target for your attention. Your focal point is the person who is doing whatever drew your attention to him. It might be the fact that he is wearing a field jacket in August. It might be that he's standing by a column in the parking garage, instead of going into the building, or getting in a car and leaving. It might be that you have been in five stores at the mall, and saw this same guy in every one of them. His actions have caused you to take note of him, so you must assess him as a potential threat, just as the fighter pilot assessed the blip earlier.

How do you assess someone as a threat? You have to take into account the totality of the cues available to you. His clothing, appearance, demeanor, actions, anything he says to you, are all cues. The single most important cue is body language. About 80% of human communication is through body language. Predators display subtle pre-aggression indicators, which are obvious once you learn to look for them.

When you shift upward to Orange, you begin to focus your attention on this individual that caught your eye, but do not drop your general over-view. You don't want to be blind-sided by his associates. You begin to watch him and assess his intentions, again looking at all of the cues available to you. Nine times out of ten, after a few seconds of observation, you will be able to see an innocuous reason for his behavior and then dismiss him. Once you figure out he's not a threat, dismiss him and de-escalate right back down to Yellow. Who is the tenth one? He is the predator, who would have got you if you had been inattentive. Now that you are aware of him, you are in far less danger.

As you assess this individual, and you see things that convince you he has evil intent, you start to play the "What if…." game in your mind, to begin formulating a basic plan. This is how we get ahead of the power curve. If he acts suddenly, we must have at least a rudimentary plan for dealing with him already in place, so that we can react swiftly enough. By saying to yourself, "That guy looks like he is about to stick me up, what am I going to do about it?", you begin the mental preparation vital to winning the conflict. With even a simple plan already in place, your physical reaction is both assured and immediate, if the bad guy presses his intentions. If, after assessing him, you believe he is an actual threat, you then escalate to the highest level, Condition Red."

Taken from:
States of Awareness, the Cooper Color Codes

Reactions: ohiorobp
#9 ·
?? autogateman. If you are referring to my "okay" comment, it was an internal monologue, I did not actually say anything.

#63 · (Edited)
The color code system was introduced by one of the old hands who was instrumental in developing armed self defense training as we know today. Perhaps it was Bill Jordan (Jeff Cooper?), I don't know. Anyway it starts with condition white. That's the "oblivious" position, somebody completely wrapped up in his/her own head or yakking on a cell phone. Condition yellow is a relaxed alert state wherein one is practicing situational awareness. Condition orange is when there is reason to be alarmed about the presence of another person or people due to their behavior or other cues, sometimes its just a gut feeling. Condition red exists when there's a clear and present danger and drawing one's weapon is iminemt or has already occured. Its a description of how we go about our business of self defense on a daily basis. One does not have to "memorize colors" to understand that self defense can be exercised at several levels. Its a useful tool, that's all.

#11 ·
Been reading a lot on situational awareness lately. Trying to get better at paying attention!!

#16 ·
I apologize if my post offends. I suppose this is what happens when someone posts a minor incident on a public forum. I certainly do not begrudge anyone for having their thoughts and opinions. Heck that is the point of these forurms! But seriously?! Who woke up the Grumpy McGrumpertons last night!?
I thought that the color coding system of situational awareness was a commonly understood concept. And USM1976, if being aware of a person walking down my street talking or mumbling in a somewhat aggressive manor makes me paranoid, then so be it. I do not think it does, nor do I suspect do a lot of people out there.
And Snub44, I try very very hard to avoid Wal-Mart late at night!! Especially in my town!!!

#18 ·
To 97tbird: Sir, I think you did fine--it turned out to be a non-event--that is all to the good---excitement is way over-rated. You were situationally aware--that is also a very positive thing. You took it the individuals' manner, demeanor, and direction of travel, felt an elevated sense of concern and reacted appropriately--by not reacting outwardly, but by paying increased attention---all to the good (read "The Gift of Fear" for further education on this topic).

To some of the other newer members on this thread: One of the things that sets Defensive Carry apart from other internet forums is our mutual respect and civility towards each other here.

Sometimes the debates can and do get heated, but we, on this forum, take pains to keep it respectful towards one another. We are all here to learn. In particular, this thread (Scenarios) is a place were we post real situations or made up "what-if" scenarios, in an effort to be vulnerable, open ourselves to constructive criticism of our thought processes and actions, in an attempt to get better. Constructive criticism is welcomed. Cheap personal shots--not so much.

Many in our forum here have a great deal of experience (I am NOT one of those :wink:) with weapons and situations of violence: we have many, many active duty and retired military (some from tier 1 spec ops units), retired and active Law enforcement, etc. We are all here to help each other get better.

The color-code system is like any other system, it assists in breaking down complex processes into easier steps. It is also used by our Dept of Homeland Security as a means of classifying terror threats. Use it, or not--no harm, no foul--but there is no need to ridicule others who do use it. :wave:

#21 ·
...nothing in the OPs post suggested that the wierd-acting guy he observed even noticed that he existed, much less posed any kind of threat...either a lot of info was left out, or this dog don't smell no squirrel...negativity is not ridicule...my comment on WalMart's clientele meant that this guy the OP saw ain't all that uncommon...

#24 ·
I am glad you paid attention to the situation. I see young men walking down the street like that from time to time. They are listening to that crazy rap crap and singing along with it and yes they look at bit crazed and angry. Never hurts to pay attention to what is going on around you.

Reactions: 97tbird
#26 ·
Why Orange?

Did he pose a threat to you? Acknowledge your presence? Display a weapon? Walk toward you in an aggressive manner? Talk to you? Or was he merely in his head and you observed him?

Good SA that you saw him, but really don't think you were in orange if he didn't pose as a threat (as you've described here)

Reactions: tcox4freedom
#28 ·
As the OP described here:

"CONDITION ORANGE- This is a heightened state of alertness, with a specific focal point. The entire difference between Yellow and Orange is this specific target for your attention. Your focal point is the person who is doing whatever drew your attention to him. It might be the fact that he is wearing a field jacket in August. It might be that he's standing by a column in the parking garage, instead of going into the building..."

The "focal point" doesn't have to pose a threat in order for you to enter into a heightened state of awareness. Interestingly enough, when people are on drugs (maybe he was, maybe he wasn't...) they can act crazy and in their own head, and suddenly lash out in an unexpected and violent manner. Crazy people aren't exactly the most predictable of sorts.

Again, good on you OP. I'm glad you're studying situational awareness and trying to pay more attention to your surroundings. Even if 99 times out of 100 nothing happens, you don't want to let your guard down for that 1 of 100.

#29 ·
My point was if a guy, paying you no mind at all gets you to orange, God forbid he noticed you and ask which way to the bus stop. THIS IS/WAS NOT DIRECTED TO THE OP... but in general to the ultra situational aware. They may call it being prepared, seems a bit paraniod and hard way to go through life TO ME. That being said maybe I'll be the next forum member to mugged. Just my opinion!

#30 ·
LOL!--lets hope that you, nor any of the rest of us, get mugged anytime soon :smile:

Maybe 97tbird was over-reacting, on the other hand, maybe he wasn't. The one thing that we cannot often clearly articulate on a forum is what some have called the "gestalt" of the moment. None of us, other than the OP, was physically there "in the moment" and so we may not have access to those gut-feelings or "vibes" that the kid was giving off that set off 97tbird's instincts, and sent his SA into the Orange category.

Now, the flip side of that coin is that if we ever actually get into a self-defense shooting situation, we absolutely must be able to articulate why we started down the decision-matrix path that led to shooting somebody else. So, it makes sense to me that here, in this forum, we mutually struggle and wrestle with trying to articulate exactly what it was in any particular situation that sets off our warning lights in our own heads.

#34 ·
If, I'm understanding the OP, he went "orange" when he perceived a possible threat. But, after assessing the situation, he didn't escalate the situation. He didn't sweep his coat & grab his weapon. Nor, did he confront the guy. He just stayed alert until the potential threat passed.

Good SA
Good assessment (no threat detected so, no escalation)
Good outcome

No harm - no foul.

-

#36 ·
Good SA
Good assessment (no threat detected so, no escalation)
Good outcome

No harm - no foul.

-
Here's a little internal conversation I imagine happening:

"Hey, who's that? What's he doing? He seems to be acting weird... Well he seems to be no threat. Ok, cool. No biggie. Glad I had my Shield just in case, though!"

#40 ·
from wikpedia:
QUOTEJohn Dean "Jeff" Cooper (May 10, 1920 – September 25, 2006) is recognized as the father of what is commonly known as "the Modern Technique" of handgun shooting, and one of the 20th century's foremost international experts on the use and history of small arms.[1]..............Combat Mindset—The Cooper Color CodeThe most important means of surviving a lethal confrontation, according to Cooper, is neither the weapon nor the martial skills. The primary tool is the combat mindset, set forth in his book, Principles of Personal Defense.[5] In the chapter on awareness, Cooper presents an adaptation of the Marine Corps system to differentiate states of readiness:

The color code, as originally introduced by Jeff Cooper, had nothing to do with tactical situations or alertness levels, but rather with one's state of mind. As taught by Cooper, it relates to the degree of peril you are willing to do something about and which allows you to move from one level of mindset to another to enable you to properly handle a given situation. Cooper did not claim to have invented anything in particular with the color code, but he was apparently the first to use it as an indication of mental state.[6]

White: Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow: Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."

Orange: Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot that person today", focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does "X", I will need to stop them". Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Red: Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. "If 'X' happens I will shoot that person".
The USMC uses condition Black, although it was not originally part of Cooper's Color Code. Condition Black: Catastrophic breakdown of mental and physical performance. Usually over 175 heartbeats per minute, increased heart rate becomes counter productive. May have stopped thinking correctly. This can happen when going from Condition White or Yellow immediately to Condition Red.

In short, the Color Code helps you "think" in a fight. As the level of danger increases, your willingness to take certain actions increases. If you ever do go to Condition Red, the decision to use lethal force has already been made (your "mental trigger" has been tripped).

#41 ·
We all try to pay attention so as not to become an unaware victim. The OP obviously takes his training seriously. Good for him if that's the way he likes it. I feel a little off base with color codes and such, but a lot of folks don't. Again, good for them. I'm kind of like Old Vet, just trying to be careful. Don't know if that's orange, pink, chartruse or just doing your best to stay safe; but either way, it's a pretty good idea!

#42 ·
We all try to pay attention so as not to become an unaware victim. The OP obviously takes his training seriously. Good for him if that's the way he likes it. I feel a little off base with color codes and such, but a lot of folks don't. Again, good for them. I'm kind of like Old Vet, just trying to be careful. Don't know if that's orange, pink or chartruse; but either way, it's a pretty good idea!
Taken from one of the NRA guides: The NRA utilizes four levels of awareness: *unaware....aware....alert....alarm*.
I think the idea is that thinking of and identifying the different stages of awareness developes a mindfulness of where your own head is at different times. If it serves to snap you out of your condition white (unaware) state when you're inattentive and vulnerable it may serve a purpose whether you color code them or call them the NRA names.

#45 ·
Wow, three pages of posts for a non-event!! Seriously guys, I noticed this guy from maybe 50 to 75 yards away walking through a parking lot and I could hear what sounded to me like he was talking loudly in an aggravated voice. He crossed the street near the end of my property, I live on a very sharp corner lot, crossed to the other side of the street from my house all the while I could hear him talking. I took notice, watched him as much as I could without being obvious and as he passed my house, my dog finished his business and I went back inside. Never once did the thought cross my mind to engage him, draw my weapon or anything like that! I was aware that my firearm was there, and thankful for that, and that is it. It was really a non-event. Thankfully. There is really nothing more to the story.

#46 ·
I applaud the OP for his situational awareness...Whether he uses a "color code" to describe his level of alertness, or the NRA "word code", or perhaps just that his "spidey senses" told him something was out of the ordinary...the OP is trying to and succeeding in developing his SA...As experience is gained, perhaps his wording will change, but his practice of SA will only contribute to keeping him safe...

I would most certainly rather have a "heightened" sense of awareness and the situation turn into a non-event, than to ignore something totally out of place and have the situation turn into a threatening event...Of course, I'm an old man, haven't been around a lot, and am just thinking outloud here...

By the way, for the uninformed, Jeff Cooper was/IS a legend...Try a google search and perhaps it will improve your knowledge...You obviously already have all the experience you need...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.