Late night gunshots

This is a discussion on Late night gunshots within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Take notice of the time posted,about 20 minutes ago I was finally in bed after a long night of reading. Not too soon after I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Late night gunshots

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar

Late night gunshots

Take notice of the time posted,about 20 minutes ago I was finally in bed after a long night of reading. Not too soon after I shut my eyes I heard a series of pops outside my house that were coming from the northwest approximately 200-300 yards off. Easily 10 rounds were fired. I got dressed and gas'd up the Sig to go outside to see if there was any suspicious traffic in the area. None. Now this is whats really aggravating. It seems that Minneapolis PD, in its infinite wisdom has decided to shutdown its non-emergency line during certain hours, which means I have no way of making an appropriate call to have the area patrolled. Even 15 minutes after I heard the shots, no cars, no sirens, as if it never happened. Ill be interested to wake up and check the news to see if some unfortunate soul got ventilated. Normally, my area of Minneapolis is nice and quite. But this is a wake up call, and the SA is being ratcheted up.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you should have called 911. Gunshots are serious bidness.

I agree with Derrick.

Gunshots when and where they shoud not be is pretty serious bussines. Probably just some idjit testing a gun... but still may have been a homicide taking place. Gunshots in the middle of the night is NEVER a good thing.

I think taking your gun and going outside to investigate wasn't the most prudent route to take. Just my opinion, but had you had to shoot it could be perceived that you went looking for a fight.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I agree gunshots late at night. We had a shooting about 3 miles from my house the other night. it turned out to be a domestic disturbance. gf bf in a fight she runs to a neighbors house he fires a pistol in random directions. And has a shotgun out pointing at a neighbor. I dont think anyone got hurt other than the gf She was battered a bit he was taken into custody.

Sometimes the good ol boys around here get a little bored and pull out their guns and shoot the road signs as they drive around. I guess they call it target practice. Lots of stop signs with bullet holes!
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If it's a "non-emergency" it can wait til morning. 911 will do for shots fired.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    I am not sure that gunning up and going outside was a good idea. If someone else had called 911 and the LEOs drove by your house and saw you with a gun it could have become complicated. Also would would have delayed response to the real area. Just my thoughts after the story was presented. At that hour I might not have been able to find the front door.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Sure it wasn't firecrackers......?
    Kids near me sometime do that and on my scanner and I hear the call go to the PD as gunfire...
    RKflorida likes this.

Gunfire anytime anywhere is to be considered an emergency. 911 immediately, let the cops figure out what is going on, that is their job. Going outside, with no immediate need to do so I would have stayed inside. I would observe from an upstairs window and be ready for an emergency. I agree with grabbing a weapon, the key to being prepared is expect the worst, hope for the best.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Late night gunshots

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Gunfire anytime anywhere is to be considered an emergency. 911 immediately, let the cops figure out what is going on, that is their job. Going outside, with no immediate need to do so I would have stayed inside. I would observe from an upstairs window and be ready for an emergency. I agree with grabbing a weapon, the key to being prepared is expect the worst, hope for the best.
    I and my neighbors shoot all the time (although not usually after dark). I would not call 911 upon hearing a gunshot unless it was in a location where it was illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CharlesMorri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I and my neighbors shoot all the time (although not usually after dark). I would not call 911 upon hearing a gunshot unless it was in a location where it was illegal.
    Within the city of Minneapolis, MN it is illegal.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Unfortunately since you live in a large city the sound of gunfire alone isn't likely to get a speedy response. But anytime you want a response, 911 is the appropriate number to dial. Now, if you lived where I do they would have blanketed the area with 20 patrol cars from 4 different agencies but either way, unless someone gets shot, people tend to disappear pretty quick when someone fires a gun.

I haven't heard gunshots around our house since this gun ban crap started and ammo prices spiked. But I wouldn't have grabbed my gun and went outside.

VIP Member
    Sigma, not saying you were looking for a fight in any sense of the word, but why not call 911? It seems like the most rational, safe and wise thing to do in a time like that. Ready your firearm...sure, but don't head outside.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links