Incident at local wll known shooting range

This is a discussion on Incident at local wll known shooting range within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought you guys might be interested in this incident north of Houston at a popular shooting range. Constables investigate car burglary, stabbing at Carter's Country ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Incident at local wll known shooting range

NONAME762 likes this.

Yeah, becasue when not shooting on a range, guns are 'locked and cleared' while range is 'cold', etc...idiotic at best.

Well at least the bad guys didn't try to burn this Range down like that other fool. As I see it the Score is Good Guys 4, Bad guys El Zippo.

I hope the bad guys get some REMEDIAL READING AND COMPREHENSION CLASSES while they are in the Joint.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Someone once asked Willie Sutton, the infamous bank robber, why he decided that his life of crime would solely be bank robberies. His answer was to the point "because that is where the money is". When you go to a gun shop or a shooting range, particularly an outdoor shooting range, which is usually in a secluded area for obvious reasons, it kind of makes sense that if I was a BG and wanted a firearm, I would watch these locations and pick my target carefully--the firearms are there and it is just a question of finding someone alone. At a secluded outdoor shooting range you could just as easily kill someone from a distance and walk over and take whatever you want and no one would ever know; I once went to a nice outdoor range in the national forest near where I live and that was my last time--it just seemed, even with a friend or two, to be too easy for a BG to kill us and take our belongings without a hint of danger to himself. I'm surprised that I do not read about more of these scenarios.

Interesting story. I was at my LGS the other day and noticed they had a sign up that said "No Concealed weapons inside store" I didnt like the fact that I was vulnerable in the parking lot to and from the store. Thought about not returning to a shop that wants me to disarm. This story has made up my mind to never return to that place.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Interesting story. I was at my LGS the other day and noticed they had a sign up that said "No Concealed weapons inside store" I didnt like the fact that I was venerable in the parking lot to and from the store. Thought about not returning to a shop that wants me to disarm. This story has made up my mind to never return to that place.

My go-to LGS is awesome...their sign reads:

"Long Guns brought in must have action open. Please keep concealed Handguns concealed. Thanks"

The range I frequent put up a sign that said, "Absolutely NO loaded weapons" on the door. I told the owner that I never go anywhere without a loaded firearm concealed. He said as long as the concealed firearm stayed holstered it was fine. Even on the range, I always have one loaded and holstered for SD.

After seeing how careless some of the idiots that walk in his shop are I can understand why he put the sign up. It still seems kind of counter-intuitive though.
    atctimmy, ep1953 and CharlesMorri like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I can somewhat sympathize with a gun store owner requesting that guns be transported in to their store either concealed, holstered, or w/ their action locked open.

The nature of the business automatically makes you a high value target for thieves. All of the gun store employees that I know carry on the job and would have very little time to distinguish an armed crook from a customer coming in to have his gun repaired or appraised.

However, none of my LGS's have such a requirement. It probably has a lot to do with the owners and employees past experiences with their clientle.

One gun shop in the adjacent town to me is located in a somewhat sketchy part of town. It wasn't always like that, but he's been there for 30+ years and the area just went downhill over the last decade or so.

The owner's response to an increasingly unwanted customer demographic was to stop selling the cheap "Saturday Night Special" type guns.

You won't even fine brand new Kel-Tec's or Charter Arms revolvers on his shelves now. Glocks and M&P's are about the cheapest guns he deals with these days. He specializes in higher end 1911's and hunting guns, though.

He told me that the occasional thug-types will stroll in and browse for a few moments, but they usually mutter something about the "pawnshop" to their homies and leave shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    When you go to a gun shop or a shooting range, particularly an outdoor shooting range, which is usually in a secluded area for obvious reasons, it kind of makes sense that if I was a BG and wanted a firearm, I would watch these locations and pick my target carefully--the firearms are there and it is just a question of finding someone alone.
    Good points.

I've been to some ranges where it's remote and often very few people there. But I have always treated it like any other venue in which remoteness equals possible risky spot ... if only a felon were to decide to watch, wait and pounce. Shooting range or not, it's not much different than any other spot. And in the sense that everyone's elsewhere, it might be seen as just as good a spot to root around unattended cars and await solo folks as any other spot.

One of the reasons I always am armed with my carry gun at the range and when leaving it. You never know when or where crime's gonna find you.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't really 'frequent' any LGSs, but I stop by them every now and then randomly. They all have the policy of (to paraphrase) "CHL carry is fine, but please keep it concealed unless specific permission is given." Academy sports is a different story, they aren't a 30.06 establishment obviously, but I carry there and have never revealed such except when I bought my M&P9c there and used my CHL so I didn't have to go through the NICS song and dance. The counter clerk appreciated it as they had quite a crowd of panic buyers to attend to and I made his job a little easier having a valid CHL.

Back on topic, there was a similar incident at my range last week when I was there. Not nearly as serious as this one, but not good either. I should have written a thread on this but didn't so I'll summarize. There was a group of 4 males in their 20s, Hispanic, semi English speaking. They had the look and demeanor of people that I don't want armed around me. Designer jeans, those stupid t shirts, sunglasses etc, you get the picture. They were very unsafe, repeated incidents of dangerous muzzle sweeps, rapid fire, gangsta side grips and the like and had the attitude of "no one tells me what I can't do". They were warned repeatedly by two range officers and I think should have been removed for safety violations. Fortunately, nothing bad happened and they left after about a half an hour. I hate to say this because I like my range a lot and I like the staff also, but sometimes I wish they had more of a backbone with idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    My go-to LGS is awesome...their sign reads:

"Long Guns brought in must have action open. Please keep concealed Handguns concealed. Thanks"

Mine says "DO NOT UNHOLSTER A LOADED WEAPON IN THIS STORE!"

Apparently they had a guy walk in and say "I need help with this gun" while he drew a handgun from his pocket. I think they almost shot him. Idiot.

I will never patronize a shop or range that doesn't allow me to shoot or do business without my carry weapon on me.
    Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously, don't even think about it.

Authorities said one of the lookouts ran over and started hitting the witness with his gun. Several people ran over to stop the suspect. They were able to hold both suspects down until investigators arrived on scene.
    At least some good came out of this. These are serious charges, let's just hope the system doesn't coddle them.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    One gun shop in the adjacent town to me is located in a somewhat sketchy part of town. It wasn't always like that, but he's been there for 30+ years and the area just went downhill over the last decade or so.

The owner's response to an increasingly unwanted customer demographic was to stop selling the cheap "Saturday Night Special" type guns.

You won't even fine brand new Kel-Tec's or Charter Arms revolvers on his shelves now. Glocks and M&P's are about the cheapest guns he deals with these days. He specializes in higher end 1911's and hunting guns, though.

He told me that the occasional thug-types will stroll in and browse for a few moments, but they usually mutter something about the "pawnshop" to their homies and leave shortly after.
    @bold: How exactly can they tell if somebody is a less than desirable/unwanted customer without knowing the individual(s) personally or is it just profiling? Not trying to start an argument or anything, I'm just curious.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links