Chimpanzee Defense

This is a discussion on Chimpanzee Defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a topic that we need to discuss and haven't to the best of my knowledge. In many urban or suburban areas, there are ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Chimpanzee Defense

Chimpanzee Defense

This is a topic that we need to discuss and haven't to the best of my knowledge. In many urban or suburban areas, there are certain people who keep chimpanzees or other types of exotic animals as pets either legally or illegally. For those who aren't familiar with chimp behavior, the males in particular can be incredibly violent. There have been several incidents in the last ten years of attacks on humans in the US and abroad, I'll spare you the details but the attacks are gruesome to say the least. Generally speaking, an adult male chimp is 2-5 times as strong as a human and they are also extremely fast.

With the potential for encountering this threat unlikely but possible, what do we think are appropriate measures to suppress that threat? My thoughts go to either heavy for caliber FMJ or hard cast lead rounds in .40 or larger in a handgun and .308 or 12ga slugs or above in a long gun.

This is a hypothetical, but is not without precedent and as the Boy Scouts say "be prepared".

2. Remove Ads

I think as long as I remain far away from the African plains, the likelihood of me running into a maddened chimpanzee is unlikely enough that I will forego practicing this scenario.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Throw feces, they understand and respect that.

Chimpanzee Defense

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I think as long as I remain far away from the African plains, the likelihood of me running into a maddened chimpanzee is unlikely enough that I will forego practicing this scenario.

+1 on this statement...I can't really say anything ore

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

In seriousness.... I will avoid all primates... in humour... I will get my own gaurd chimpanzee.... tech it Tae Kwon Do and give it bananas to rip the faces off assassin chimpanzees that are threatened by my superior manliness
    DaveCO likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Administrator
    Humans do not ever want to be the victim of an enraged attacking chimpanzee.
    That having been said I would have a much better chance of being struck by lightning where I am living these days.

...buy a trunk monkey???

...OK, if the OP was, by chance, being serious...a .45 acp hollow-pointed round would handle the problem...an average grown chimp's no bigger than an average grown male...and not much chance of having to penetrate several layers of denim...

Chimps are nasty. Regarding your carry and home defense plan, nothing should be adjusted just to prepare for a random chimp attack. You should be carrying what you feel brings a good combination of size, caliber, capacity, and shootability. Your house should have a long gun. If a chimp breaks in to your house, grab the long gun.

.45's, .308's, and 12 gauges are good things to have regardless of the chimp threat level in your area.
    tcox4freedom and atctimmy like this.

While the Army does a great job training us in guerilla warfare, they fall well short of preparing us for the growing threat of raging chimpanzees. I think the OP should take the lead on this by posting a YouTube video demonstrating the preferred technique for chimpanzee defense.

Motion for this to be transferred to Off Topic/Humor section.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

On a more serious note, do you think you could take a chimp with a baseball bat?

...why does the line from an old movie "I'll drink to that!!!" keep echoing in my mind??? stay tuned for Python Preparedness training...

Wow, I'm disappointed...this is not a joke, luckily there are a few that actually took it seriously. Exotic animals are more common than people realize, legal or not. And if you think this is a joke, google Charla Nash and St James Davis. Don't blame me if you vomit.
    Secret Spuk and tcox4freedom like this.

BenGoodLuck and DPro.40 like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

It's late and we're just having some fun. Is it possible that a Chimpanzee will attack me tomorrow? Yes. Is it likely? No. If it was to happen am I confident that the result would be one less chimpanzee in the world? Yes.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links