Defensive Carry banner

Chimpanzee Defense

9K views 96 replies 44 participants last post by  OldVet 
#1 ·
This is a topic that we need to discuss and haven't to the best of my knowledge. In many urban or suburban areas, there are certain people who keep chimpanzees or other types of exotic animals as pets either legally or illegally. For those who aren't familiar with chimp behavior, the males in particular can be incredibly violent. There have been several incidents in the last ten years of attacks on humans in the US and abroad, I'll spare you the details but the attacks are gruesome to say the least. Generally speaking, an adult male chimp is 2-5 times as strong as a human and they are also extremely fast.

With the potential for encountering this threat unlikely but possible, what do we think are appropriate measures to suppress that threat? My thoughts go to either heavy for caliber FMJ or hard cast lead rounds in .40 or larger in a handgun and .308 or 12ga slugs or above in a long gun.

This is a hypothetical, but is not without precedent and as the Boy Scouts say "be prepared".

#4 ·
+1 on this statement...I can't really say anything ore

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

#3 ·
Throw feces, they understand and respect that.

#27 ·
Sounds like a place I used to work!:yup:

To the OP...
I can't imagine placing myself in an environment where such a threat could exist.
I'll pass...:wave:

#5 ·
In seriousness.... I will avoid all primates... in humour... I will get my own gaurd chimpanzee.... tech it Tae Kwon Do and give it bananas to rip the faces off assassin chimpanzees that are threatened by my superior manliness

Reactions: DaveCO
#8 ·
Chimps are nasty. Regarding your carry and home defense plan, nothing should be adjusted just to prepare for a random chimp attack. You should be carrying what you feel brings a good combination of size, caliber, capacity, and shootability. Your house should have a long gun. If a chimp breaks in to your house, grab the long gun.

.45's, .308's, and 12 gauges are good things to have regardless of the chimp threat level in your area.

#47 ·
I might bet on the chimp in this case. A co worker tells a story of a friend that had a chimp. His neighbors huge shepord hated the chimp but was chained so all he could do was bark as the chimp taunted him. One day the neighbor had enough and released the dog. The chimp never hurt the dog but end up riding him like pony. The faster the dog would run the more the chimp liked it!

Reactions: mano3
#16 ·
...well, now that you've cleared that up...could you quote statistics on how many chimpanzee attacks have been reported on humans in the US over the last 100 years?...don't blame us for being suspicious...

...chimpanzees are a wild animal...they should always be treated as wild...I've never read of an attack where the human wasn't interacting with the chimp on purpose...I didn't vomit, but the St James' story disgusted me...some people have no common sense...

#14 ·
#51 ·
#18 ·
I tend to prepare for things that are more likely to happen....burglars inside my house when I come home, gunfire breaking out in the mall while I'm shopping, an armed robbery at the store...that sort of thing. Plans to counter attacks by enraged chimpanzees, engines falling from aircraft passing over my house, etc. consume energy that could better be utilized somewhere else. That, of course, is just my opinion. Everyone has to act in their own best interest.

#20 ·
As we, humans, and chimps are genetically very similar, I would not feel the need to change any of my normal carry weapons or ammo. Now if it became a hand to hand thing that may be a different story, but a knife should be pretty effective. Sure its remote, but its possible.

I don't think it would be much different than a human attack. I enjoy seeing but do avoid wild animals as best I can. We get a variety of wild cats, from feral to mountain lion so I try to keep my distance.

#23 ·
I know a man who was offered $100 (early 1960's) if he could last one round in a ring with an orangatang. This was a local fair attraction. Bill was a big tuff man.. After some liquid courage and watching several men try and fail, he knew he could win.

He climbed in, the bell rang, and the orangatang slapped him in the head and knocked him out.

#29 ·
Nothing to worry about as long as the bananas hold out.

Since I don't enjoy vomiting I think I'll give googling Charla Nash and St. James Davis a miss, thank you very much.

#31 ·
This is a hypothetical, but is not without precedent and as the Boy Scouts say "be prepared".
Being prepared to meet a stark-raving monkey isn't high on my list of prep steps. But I'll give it some thought. Though, I can't imagine my existing equipment that's designed to stop 6ft 200# predators couldn't stop an equally soft animal half that size. I figure I'm prepared enough.

In terms of probability, though, I've heard of a greater number of meteorite strikes than I have attacks by chimps. So ...

#32 ·
Methinks our thread-author has a bit too much time on his hands and is overthinking what this forum is about. Hey if you cannot figure out what to do about humans and dogs--yada yada yada. This thread is beginning to have that extended life of "where do I keep my firearm when I am involved in almost any human activity?" set of threads--ya know--in the shower, on the toilet, playing handball, mountain climbing etal. Now we can expect an entire subset on exotic animals. Personally I have a 5.7X28 which can take down a wild hog but probably not an elephant---it does worry me, however, what should I do about wild elephants?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.