Carry at the Gym? Incident today at my health club.....

This is a discussion on Carry at the Gym? Incident today at my health club..... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you open or carry concealed at the gym? I usually have my CCW in my gym bag, but never on my person ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Carry at the Gym? Incident today at my health club.....

Do any of you open or carry concealed at the gym? I usually have my CCW in my gym bag, but never on my person (perspiration, discomfort or afraid of misplacing it). After an incident that happened to me this morning at my local health club, I am not sure what the answer is.

Saturday morning at the health club, I was resting in between exercise sets, and was standing near the front door when this scraggly looking, toothless man pulls up in his beat up car, quickly enters the gym and starts asking me questions (where's the nearest gas station, directions to Norfolk). He was wearing a long leather coat and had his right hand in his coat pocket. Now, I’m 6’1” at 200 lbs, w/military haircut, so maybe he did not expect to see me. I immediately asked him to remove his hand from his coat pocket so I could see both of his hands. He said "sorry, it's only my cell phone." He was definitely up to no good, so perhaps I thwarted a robbery or at a minimum, a pan handling attempt. The sole employee saw this, and he left. She should have called the police, but did not. My concealed 9mm was stashed in my backpack 15 feet away, so there's no way I could have gotten to it had I needed it in time. Months ago, a Chinese mom & pop restaurant next to the gym was robbed, so you never know.

Thoughts?
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

2. Remove Ads

Fanny Pack

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I wouldn't carry to a gym unless I kept my firearm on my person. I don't like the idea of leaving in a gym bag and in a locker. I've heard of lockers broken into, even the staff can't be trusted 100%. That being said, I like the fanny pack idea.
    Sheldon J and ep1953 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Distinguished Member
    Tough call. I built a gym in my basement, so I rarely go to a public gym anymore. Carrying at the gym would be difficult for me and probably very uncomfortable. You might want to check out Pistol Wear holsters if you want to carry while you are there. I have one and they are very comfortable, they have a moisture shield, they are secure and they would work well with gym clothes. If I were going to carry at the gym, that is what I would use.
    SuperRuger101 and marcclarke like this.

You handled the guy well, BUT... while your attention was on the guy, who was eyeballing your gym bag? I'm all for being armed as much as possible, but unless you know and trust every member of your gym, an unsecured weapon in a gym bag some distance away from you is a risk I'm not willing to take.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Fanny pack is the only comfortable solution I have ever been able to come up with to this question. My problem with a fanny pack is that it screams either:

1. I have a gun!

or

2. I never let go of the 80's!

Do you have a Flock of Seagulls haircut? If so perhaps a fanny pack would look fine on you.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I've resorted to leaving mine in the car. Sucks, but I don't trust those lockers and I don't want to carry around a fanny pack :-)

I carry in the gym my wife and I are members of in a small gym bag. Its large enough to keep a couple bottles of water, my keys, her keys, cell phone, towels and of course my EDC. This bag stays beside me at all times. Even when on the treadmill its between the 2 of us between the 2 treadmills. When I'm on the weight equipment its there beside me on the floor not at my feet but by my side. We are members of a 24hr gym and many times we are there late night. You never know. I would suggest to find a small gym bag..just big enough but smaller than an overnight bag if I got to give it a size..I would say its the size of a Woman's hand bag. Works perfectly.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

I think you're right to rethink this.

Gym bag carry has the same drawbacks as purse carry, and in some ways, may be worse. Carry purses are made for quick-draw... gym bags are not. Even if your bag is right beside you, what if that guy had lunged at you? Would you have had time to get your bag, then get into it, and draw your gun? What if he'd lunged for your bag instead of you? After all, that's probably where your wallet, cell phone, car keys, and other valuables are.

I stick with on-body carry in just about every situation except swimming. There are lots of holster options that could work: compression shorts or shirts, smart carry, belly band, Remora, and even the dreaded fanny pack. Hey, I had some good years in the 80's.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I just have to ask: What would have you done if he did not comply? Quite honestly, I would not listen to someone telling me to take my hands out of my pocket.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Re: Carry at the Gym? Incident today at my health club.....

I carry a folding pocket knife at the gym. It's light, clips to my shorts, and it's better than nothing.
    DubH00 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I just have to ask: What would have you done if he did not comply? Quite honestly, I would not listen to someone telling me to take my hands out of my pocket.
    Yeah, but you're not scraggly and toothless. At least I hope not.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Fanny pack is the only comfortable solution I have ever been able to come up with to this question. My problem with a fanny pack is that it screams either:

1. I have a gun!

or

2. I never let go of the 80's!

Do you have a Flock of Seagulls haircut? If so perhaps a fanny pack would look fine on you.
    I don't care who you are...this is funny!
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Yeah, but you're not scraggly and toothless. At least I hope not.
    The point I am making is :what was a back up plan and or course of action? Mr Scraggly tooth was doing nothing threatening. After you issue an ultimatum and the dude does not comply it has been know to make a non situation develop into a situation. I am not saying the guy did anything wrong or right. Just curious of what else he was thinking.
    wmhawth and TVJ like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I don't carry at the gym. The only place I do not, it would be hard to conceal and move around a lot. Another thing to consider. You are a big guy...he is a toothless scrawny guy. Get close and personal say no and open the door, tell him to have a nice day.

BG's are looking for an easy mark, not an ass kicking.
    Taurahe and blake716 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links