Anybody here watch "Most Shocking" on Court TV?

This is a discussion on Anybody here watch "Most Shocking" on Court TV? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The subject changes from week to week; police chases, police shootouts, etc. Tonight was "Holdups and Robberies". To be honest, alot of people watch stuff ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The subject changes from week to week; police chases, police shootouts, etc. Tonight was "Holdups and Robberies". To be honest, alot of people watch stuff like this for it's "entertainment" value but it is interesting to watch from a CCW/self-defense scenario perspective.

Tonight, when they showed holdups and robberies it struck me as odd how complacent some of the BG's were, turning their backs on their victims quite often. Good opportunity to draw and shoot. Of course that didn't happen in any of the crimes that they showed. (Not as much drama I guess in showing an incident where an armed citizen turns the table and ends a crime.) The myth that gets circulated around with frequent regularity is that you can't shoot someone in the back because they are no longer a threat and you'll be charged with murder. It is just not that black and white. Watch stuff like this and you'll be convinced that when someone has their back towards you it does NOT necessarily mean that they are leaving or no longer pose a threat.

I'm just curious if anybody else watched this and if so, what were your thoughts?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Well, rather than shoot him while his back is still turned to you, why not just wait, with gun drawn and pointed right at the back of his head, until he turns around again and blast his face off then?

Fewer legal difficulties that way. Dead attacker. Everybody wins!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I know one sound that would invite them to either A) freeze or B) turn around.

Racking the slide.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In this instance,whatever you decide to do,don't make one of your priorities giving them a verbal command.

If they have threatened you in the past(with a visable firearm) while turned to take the money,threaten someone else,talk to their accomplice,etc.,this is the time to start shootin'.

As stated,when they turn back around who knows what will happen.

Using their stupidity against them is perfectly allright in my book.

Especially when the only thing that I "suffer" is having to buy more ammo. -------

I've watched it a few time but didn't get a chance to this week to bad sounds like i missed a good show

Yes i try to watch it every week last nights episode seem to be the most brutal robberies yet.

Problem arises when there is more than one BG, then things turn into the gunfight at the OK corral and potential lose of life for bystanders.
    You're right though, tough situation!

How about the guy that fired six shots at the clerk and didn't take any cash? I was thinking "if I was that woman that he just let back away from him, he'd be done"(and his revolver is now empty). But, yes I watched it, and came to a realization. If your in a store when a robbery happens, DO NOT expect the bad guy not to fire any shots. There were a few that just when you thought the guy was going to leave without shooting, they changed their mind and shot anyways.

I was also thinking if you/I were in a situation like that and did shoot, and lawyers were questioning whether you should have, could you bring tapes like that into a courtroom and say "this is the kind of situation that I expected, and thats why I fired"?

I caught this show last night... some of the robberies were hard to watch, especially the ones involving women clerks (brutal).

I turned to my GF during one of the vids and said, "Still wonder why I carry a gun?"

Also, did y'all see the one where the clerk went up against a revolver with his baseball bat? Even though the robber had his back to the clerk for a bit, it wasn't even close: the clerk took one in the abdomen and one in the arm (which resulted in a permanent disability). A good lesson for those thinking they can go up against a drawn gun without one of their own.

"peaceful..."

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Well, rather than shoot him while his back is still turned to you, why not just wait, with gun drawn and pointed right at the back of his head, until he turns around again and blast his face off then?

Now I know how you got your handle...!!!!

...and I don't disagree...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Shooting them in the back usually spins them around. Take the second shot after they spin and claim that it was the first shot. Tell them that as you fired the second shot he turned.

No problem!

Let the video load, then look at the idiot on it:

http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/red/red_player.html

Video may change in a few hours, look up the store break-in video if it doesn't load up on the start page when you click the link.

HA HA HA HA HA HA

great clip

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Let the video load, then look at the idiot on it:

http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/red/red_player.html

Video may change in a few hours, look up the store break-in video if it doesn't load up on the start page when you click the link.
    Wow! All kinds of 'training' videos on that site. Check out the poor in the "Two Dollars" video. Notice how the scumbag spends several seconds eye balling both the area and his intended victim...no wonder our grandma's told us to watch out for folks with "shifty, beady eyes..."
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

None of the handguns carried by the typical CCW'er will "blast his face off..." By employing your approach, you're betting the farm that you can hit a moving target the size of a human head. Many times these people are on drugs or very nervous, both of which often cause them to move and bob around a lot. Yes, you'd be close but do you really want to be that close? Weapon retention then becomes an issue. Also, only in the movies or TV do people die instantly when hit with handgun fire. Even with a solid hit(s) to the head, he may be able to return fire, possibly multiple times.

One more thing that just occured to me is that it could be argued by an attorney that if you had time to stand there with a gun to the back of his head waiting for him to turn around, you had time to retreat to safety. But no, you waited there until you had a chance to execute him.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links