Rock Hill, S.C. Bank Robbery Video (2005)

This is a discussion on Rock Hill, S.C. Bank Robbery Video (2005) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods, feel free to move this. I believe it applies here, though. While doing some research on shootouts for a term project, I discovered a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Hill, S.C. Bank Robbery Video (2005)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Rock Hill, S.C. Bank Robbery Video (2005)

Mods, feel free to move this. I believe it applies here, though.

While doing some research on shootouts for a term project, I discovered a video I had not seen before. I'm sure some of you have seen it and posted it here, but I couldn't locate it. As the title says, this is local news coverage and the dash-cam from the Rock Hill P.D. after a man robbed a Bank of America.

See the video here.

That video scared the crap out of me on seeing it the first time. Sent many chills up my spine. My "scenario" posted is this:

Suppose you had been the gentleman in the white pickup at the end of the video. The man getting out of the Blazer has already drawn down on you. Not knowing he has already shot at officers, but hearing the sirens, do you run for cover or clear leather? Suppose a family member was sitting next to you in the truck? That day in 2005, the man in the pickup could have been any one of us. What would you have done?

On a last note: God Bless Police Officers. Officer Greene showed some true metal that day. Its a good feeling to know guys like him are out there wearing the blues.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Absolutely amazing the officer wasn't hit ...

What to do in that scenario??? Very tough call. If I'm alone, I'm in all liklihood haulin' a$$ for cover and trying to draw while moving. If I have family with me - I don't know. Trying to keep them safe obviously but how? Maybe around the truck, get them out and start shooting...........

Officers did a great job pursuing and backing off when necessary.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

What if the white 18 wheeler had been armed? Might have stopped there.

Bullet Hole In His Tie?

Officer Greene displayed plenty of courage...what a cop! I don't believe I've ever seen anything like this before...WOW!

And there are still plenty of dirtbags like this bank robber still out in the world. Can you imagine how many of these guys may come out of the woodwork if something major happens to this country?

Congrats to the cops for the 'favorable' ending...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Slam the truck in drive and get the _ _ _ k out of there.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    If I'm alone, I head for the tallgrass, immediately if not sooner.

If I'm not...well, I might not make it through the day.

Bullet hold from .223 in his tie?

Great work by the LEO involved.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

And there are still plenty of dirtbags like this bank robber still out in the world. Can you imagine how many of these guys may come out of the woodwork if something major happens to this country?
    They did during the Watts riots, in Los Angeles in 1965. They are doing so in Baghdad, Iraq, given that the police force has effectively been cleared away since 2003. They did during the Hurricane Katrina aftermath in New Orleans, last year. They do during city-wide power outages, year after year. They will anytime the field is cleared of risk for the BG's ... like, when a gun ownership goes down, signs disallowing carry go up, the gov't attempts to overtly disarm citizens, a civil emergency presents itself (as a smokescreen), a storm or natural disaster occurs, etc. Cornered cats without many alternatives, where it doesn't take much to tip them over the edge.

Kudos to the courageous police who helped bring down this inhuman two-legged excuse for a carbon repository. Glad that it only impacted so few people, as it had the potential to be far, far worse.

Back on topic: What would I do? Against a long gun, operated with great accuracy as it turns out? Bug out and/or hunker down behind effective cover, call 911 (if not already obvious he was being pursued). If attacked, I'd defend, but frankly 50-100yds away firing rifle rounds that penetrated the glass of the cruiser would prevail no matter what I did, if only armed with a handgun and prayer. This situation is a prime example of the relative power of arms (handgun, shotgun, rifle, auto rifle).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The last picture in the video sums up how fortunate he is. Brave man, IMO

If I was alone, probably have a bowel movement and run as if I was going for gold.

If a family member was with me, push his/her butt out of the truck through the other side and run. I wouldn't worry about getting my handgun because he already has won half the battle with a rifle pointed at my direction.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    wow, scary stuff, for sure. In that situation, if I were near enough to the truck, you can bet I'd be getting the duck out of fodge. Otherwise, I'd just have to run for the nearest hard cover and hope he doesn't follow me. As several people have said, there's simply not much a guy with a concealed handgun can do against a semi-auto long rifle in competent hands.

But, look at the first time the guy pulled over and started shooting. I find myself wondering what would have happened if the guy in the white Chevy had rammed the shooter's door as he was leaning out, taking potshots at the cop. Not that he had any responsibility to do so, but that's the first thing that sprung to my mind.

Also, was the officer still firing at him, as he started to drive away? With the white truck in his firing lane? I couldn't quite tell whose shots those were.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yeah Bob, it looks like the Officer actually manager to think about his background - a little. Under those circumstanes, though, I'd appluad anyone who could remember their own name. But the cop slowed his fire while the white truck passed in front of the Blazer.

Good question about ramming the guys door....
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Suppose you had been the gentleman in the white pickup at the end of the video. The man getting out of the Blazer has already drawn down on you. Not knowing he has already shot at officers, but hearing the sirens, do you run for cover or clear leather? Suppose a family member was sitting next to you in the truck? That day in 2005, the man in the pickup could have been any one of us. What would you have done?
    In such a situation, chances are you are not going to know what the robber has done just before meeting up with you. You don't know he has shot at offficers, so that is sort of a non-issue. Besides, it really doesn't matter if he has shot at officers or not. At that moment, all that matters is that there is a lethal threat to your person.

So you hear sirens. You live in the city. Whether or not the sirens have anything to do with what appears to be your carjacking isn't really an issue since you have no way to ascertain the status of the sirens relative to your situation.

What if the white 18 wheeler had been armed? Might have stopped there.
    What if? What if anything. What if the guy in the 18 wheeler had been to self defense driving school, had driven convoys in Iraq and learned how to deal with such threat with his truck, or simply had mindset, skill and initiative? Guns are nice, but they are just a tool, but sadly they are sometimes the only tool people consider to use for self defense when they have so many other items available to them.

I noticed the interviewed guy in the truck said that after the suspect drew down on him he ran, then the cops showed up.

Couldn't you get out of your vehicle and clear leather, and as he turns to assault the cops take him out?

Or would that not stand?..since he has threatened imminent harm by drawing down on you, and then turned his attention to the cops therefore breaking off contact with you.

But your stopping his threat to the police might have saved a dozen or so lives of the officers arriving.

So would you still be charged with anything for shooting him in the back?

Or I noticed he stopped @ an intersection at one point and got out to fire at the officer, there was a pick-up on his left (not the one that drove by afterwards, this was a few intersections down)
    If the occupant was armed as stated in a previous post he could've rammed the door of the suspect.

Or could he have leaned out his window and shot at the suspect shooting at the cop?
    -Laurence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links