Active Shooter: A massacre in progress and you are there

This is a discussion on Active Shooter: A massacre in progress and you are there within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this on Coulson, Jackson and Associates Blog . Danny O. Coulson served in the Federal Bureau of Investigation for thirty one years. He ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Active Shooter: A massacre in progress and you are there

VIP Member

Active Shooter: A massacre in progress and you are there

I found this on Coulson, Jackson and Associates Blog.

Danny O. Coulson served in the Federal Bureau of Investigation for thirty one years. He created and commanded the FBI’s Hostage Rescue Team.

"You find yourself in the middle of an active shooter situation. You are armed. What action do you take?"

We've discussed these types of situations countless times and, most recently, in a thread on an armed robbery in a Red Lobster restaurant (Red Lobster robbery, multiple suspects, any ideas).

As an expert on active shooter situations, Coulson offers excellent advice and tips on how to survive these terrifying encounters. His final, and most important point is: "...THERE ARE NO RAID JACKETS THAT SAY GOOD GUY!!!!!! Do not take action that would cause you to be viewed as the active shooter yourself. Your life depends on it."
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

I am going to stand by my post in the Red lobster robbery thread. To be honest, I would rather die doing something good, than live without having taken any action at all. The article was good, thank you for sharing...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I am going to stand by my post in the Red lobster robbery thread. To be honest, I would rather die doing something good, than live without having taken any action at all. The article was good, thank you for sharing...
    Likewise. Nothing is not my strong suit.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Re: Active Shooter: A massacre in progress and you are there

while I agree you shouldn't try to play hero and you need to be aware of what can happen if you decide to get involved. It seems to me that his advice is simular to everything else we have heard from the goverment. Hide, wait for the cops. Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the big arguments for CC is to be able to protect yourself in these situations. I'm sure most of us have said "if only the principle in the school in newtown would have been carrying" I don't know if he intended it this way or not but it seems like he's saying "your not going to do any good, just act like an unarmed victim and don't intervien" well then why carry?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    Ghost1958, crossfireltd and Joey like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I agree with you 100%. I will defend myself and my family at all costs. His advice helps us understand the dynamics of the situation and provides concrete ways to survive and be victorious.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diver1102 View Post
    while I agree you shouldn't try to play hero and you need to be aware of what can happen if you decide to get involved. It seems to me that his advice is simular to everything else we have heard from the goverment. Hide, wait for the cops. Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the big arguments for CC is to be able to protect yourself in these situations. I'm sure most of us have said "if only the principle in the school in newtown would have been carrying" I don't know if he intended it this way or not but it seems like he's saying "your not going to do any good, just act like an unarmed victim and don't intervien" well then why carry?
    He writes: "Do you do nothing? Absolutely not! Take action, but make sure it is the proper action to save your life." He then provides excellent advice for various possibilities - escape, hide, engage.
    Ben

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Ive asked this question to myself many times, and the answer remains...."If not for me, then who else?"
    docdozer likes this.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    No matter how much you role play situations in your mind, train and practice when the ball falls and you find yourself in the middle of chaos it will be like nothing you have planned. Know matter how good you are you need to be able to think and act on your feet.

The longer the situation last the better the chance of you still being active when the LEO arrive. So get it done and be non-suspicious when they arrive, no gun in hand or still shooting people to the ground.

If you find yourself in a Mumbai type of attack just know you are not only fighting those in front of you back having to watch for the GGs coming in on your back. Also remember you are not a cop and have no responsibility to protect everyone. There are time you have to let others take care of themselves. If they don't then it's on them not you.

Be brave but think smart!
    USM1976 and MDR90 like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Run hide escape while innocents are being slaughtered knowing full well the all powerful Raid is going to be way late to do anything isnt something I think i could live with personally. But everyone has to make their own decisions on that sort of thing.
    Snub44 and mkh like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I haven't eaten at one since I got food poisoning in the late 80s!

Good advise and that what I've been taught since I began using a firearm a long time ago! Phoenix is a perfect example, the home owner was holding the BG at gun point, but ended up dead as the LEOs thought he was the BG!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

If it is a robbery and the BGs just make off with money, then I'm most likely going to stand down. I'll keep my pistol in hand, but won't offer any kind of threat so long as the robbers only go for money. If they start shooting, or even threaten to shoot people, then I'm going to have to step in. Hopefully, the appearance of someone else with a weapon will cause the BGs to cut and run (it usually does). Don't want the situation to escalate if at all possible, but lives are worth a lot more then money. With all of the druggies running loose these days you never know just how rational the crooks, are or how they might react when confronted. Nevertheless, I would do whatever I could to keep some innocent (or myself) from catching a bullet.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i would have to agree with everyone else do nothing wouldn't sit well with me after the fact. I think every situation unfolds so differently that it has to be a judgement call during the situation. taking into account the possibility that LEO will show up and mistake you for a BG

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Also remember you are not a cop and have no responsibility to protect everyone.
    Even the police have no responsibility to protect anyone.
    USM1976 likes this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    When I am tempted to think in terms of heroic action I try to remember this. Every man and woman of good character in my state has the option of securing training and a carry permit just as I did or they can rely on the aforementioned state to provide for their security. Risking your life for people who are unwilling to accept responsibility for their own fate is a fools errand.

This does not mean that I won't intervene to help others. The infirm, elderly, and children are worth defending. The others? Not so much.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links