Neighbors got their safe stolen while home

This is a discussion on Neighbors got their safe stolen while home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just took place about an hour ago. My mother is home alone with the dog (GSD that has years of consistent bite training) and there ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Neighbors got their safe stolen while home

Just took place about an hour ago. My mother is home alone with the dog (GSD that has years of consistent bite training) and there is a knock at the door, some black guy. The dog is going nuts. We have a lot of burglaries in the neighborhood and frequently get sketchy scammers that come to the door so my mom is well rehearsed in not answering the door and not going outside to unfamiliar people. She calls the non-emergency police number in regards to this guy, standard procedure with these types of occurrences. The guy stood at the front door for a minute or two then left.

Our neighbors across the street are very elderly folks. Apparently the same guy that came to our door knocked on theirs, they brought them outside to talk to them about landscaping, something that happens often in this area and most of the time they are guys just looking for a job but still not something to lower your SA on. In this case it was obviously a distraction in hindsight. An accomplice goes through the front door. They have a smaller safe mounted inside the closet on a shelf (most likely because bending down for them is not an easy task) and the perp was able to cut off the bolts and take it which had $200K worth of valuables. All this took place in roughly a 10-15 minute time span. The cops never showed up to the area in time. Took them 25 minutes to get there due to heavy traffic during rush hour is my assumption.

What to learn from this: 1-staying inside your house is one of the best and safest things to do, don't fall into the trap. 2- make sure you have a quality safe that is bolted down correctly.

Something to note was that these guys were not intimidated by the signs or intense barking of a large dog and my guess is they are semi-professionals of some sort. If they were home invaders that dog could have potentially saved my mother's life since she doesnt trust herself with guns. As we all know a large dog is a good deterrence to preventing an easy forced entry but to people that don't know, unless your dog is trained properly it is not going to bite the perp. Trust me I can't tell you how many dogs I've seen come out on the field or even in their own home that will not bite (though their owners swear by it), as the saying goes "all bark no bite". Just something to keep in mind additionally.

Moral of the story, never let your SA down!

I guess I'm not gonna be a victim,unless I call you for a job the answer is NO,your not getting past my front door because I'm in it,and your not entering thru any windows without setting off an alarm.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I guess I'm not gonna be a victim,unless I call you for a job the answer is NO,your not getting past my front door because I'm in it,and your not entering thru any windows without setting off an alarm.
    They were robbed about 10 years ago when they weren't home and installed some sort of high tech alarm system, didnt think it could ever happen again...well just goes to show what poor SA can do to you

They have a smaller safe mounted inside the closet on a shelf and the perp was able to cut off the bolts and take it which had $200K worth of valuables. All this took place in roughly a 10-15 minute time span.
    What they actually had, there, was a storage cabinet with a door. Pretty poor planning for the value of stuff they wanted to be kept safely.

Better option, by far, would have been to purchase a 60" tall safe and simply use the top shelves of it. Problem solved, and fatal weaknesses would not have been bought and paid for in spades.

What to learn from this: 1-staying inside your house is one of the best and safest things to do, don't fall into the trap. 2- make sure you have a quality safe that is bolted down correctly.
    Yup.

Visitors who are there for my benefit call in advance and I know they're coming. The safe is solid, hidden and is bolted to the foundations. The safe is protected by alarm, armed homeowner. Works very nicely.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 20th, 2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: grammar
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've had strangers ring my bell - usually college do-gooder kids trying to get me to sign some petition for their cause du jour. I will happily talk to them from a second story window - front door stays closed.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

...most burglars don't carry tools to cut through bolted-in safes...seems like somebody knew it was 1) there 2) had a lot of value and 3) the people were gullible...I'd check maids, caregivers...SOMEBODY gave the perps information...glad nobody was harmed...this could have been fatal...

If you are going to get any of my time at the front door, you better be wearing a Girl Scout uniform and accompanied by your mom. If not, don't bother knocking.
    Either way, my Rhodesian Ridgeback (now 8 mos and weighed 107# today) is right there with me. He's not figured out the protection angle just yet, but he's curious.
    WHEC724, JoJoGunn and Bark'n like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    Just took place about an hour ago. My mother is home alone with the dog (GSD that has years of consistent bite training) and there is a knock at the door, some black guy.
    Ok, that was unnecessary. Would you have mentioned if he were German, Australian, or Fijian?

...having filled out hundreds of police reports...yes, that is germane to the story and only holds offense for those predisposed to looking for same...part of life these days to mention race...in a multi-racial society...
    PAPADALE1, C5A, ws76133 and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...having filled out hundreds of police reports...yes, that is germane to the story and only holds offense for those predisposed to looking for same...part of life these days to mention race...in a multi-racial society...
    Totally agree. And I think if some German had shown up at my door, that would be worth mentioning. Especially since I don't speak German.
    C5A and thephanatik like this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Because posting on an anonymous forum is akin to filing a legal document.....lets try to make sense with our arguments.

...there was no argument...the OP was simply and accurately reporting on something factual that happened which could be of interest and help us make wise choices...can we return to the topic, please?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    $200,000 in their closet. Bet they wished they'd spent a nickel for a safe deposit box.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The story doesn't exactly sound right. 200K in a minimally secure safe near the door? The
    BGs just stumbled on it?

Possibilities-- 1) Insurance scam 2) kids couldn't wait for their turn 3) someone's nose is growing.

Who in their right mind keeps 200K worth of anything in a small safe in their home? I mean, at least
    be sensible and bury it in the backyard in PVC and concrete.

Thank G-d I'm too poor to have such problems. I'm gonna hang a sign on the door, "THIEVES WELCOME."
    "KNOCK YOURSELVES OUT BOYS."
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The story doesn't exactly sound right. 200K in a minimally secure safe near the door? The
    BGs just stumbled on it?

Possibilities-- 1) Insurance scam 2) kids couldn't wait for their turn 3) someone's nose is growing.

Who in their right mind keeps 200K worth of anything in a small safe in their home? I mean, at least
    be sensible and bury it in the backyard in PVC and concrete.

Thank G-d I'm too poor to have such problems. I'm gonna hang a sign on the door, "THIEVES WELCOME."
    "KNOCK YOURSELVES OUT BOYS."
    That's just too darn funny Hop, unfortunately I'm in the same boat recently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links