Bad Advice IMO.

Bad Advice IMO.

This is a discussion on Bad Advice IMO. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shooting Aftermath & Articulation - YouTube At 6:08 into the video... "The officer is going to need to know you were in fear for your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Bad Advice IMO.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Bad Advice IMO.

Shooting Aftermath & Articulation - YouTube

At 6:08 into the video...
    "The officer is going to need to know you were in fear for your life"
    No; he does not need to know that. The judge and/or jury need to know that.

"You're going to need to point out the evidence"
    I disagree again. (Evidence) is meaningless in this scenario. Evidence is again for the legal system.

Say nothing other than "I will be happy to answer any questions after talking with my attorney"

As with the adrenaline moment of stopping a threat; that adrenaline is still pumping to our mouth.
    Saying the wrong thing in the fog of confusion while meaning to say something else is what may get one convicted.

I like many of his videos; but can not agree with this one.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Does the evidence do you any good if no one notices it and it doesn't make it to court? Maybe the BG you just shot threw his gun into a nearby window garden?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You won't need to present anything to a judge and jury if you're not charged.

I really wish people would stop endorsing the "I was in fear for my life" statement. It's sounds so trite and rehearsed, and worst--prepared and premeditated. In FL, the law says in a case of claimed self-defense that the involved shooter cannot be arrested until the investigation is conducted (Think Zimmerman case). If you don't offer any evidence to support your case, the investigation is likely to be over quickly.

What you will need to say, or need not to say, will depend on the situation at the time. Sometimes the obvious needs no explaination.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I kinda feel like keeping the police in the dark is kinda dumb...

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    This is an area of much controversy. Many people have been convicted based on the 911 call alone. The criminal defense attorney that I use to present the legal aspects of concealed carry in trainig classes advises, don't talk to the police, they are not your friend, they are not there to help you. Another instructor advises that when you call 911, you ask for police and medical help at the location, and that's it. When the police arrive , you have chest pain and need medical help yourself. The questions will have to wait until after your trip to the hospital and a consultaton with your attorney. The attorney also tells me that no matter what you say at the scene, it can be made to look bad and used against you. I am not saying I agree or disagree with this info, just passing it along.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post

I disagree again. (Evidence) is meaningless in this scenario. Evidence is again for the legal system.

Say nothing other than "I will be happy to answer any questions after talking with my attorney"

As with the adrenaline moment of stopping a threat; that adrenaline is still pumping to our mouth.
    Saying the wrong thing in the fog of confusion while meaning to say something else is what may get one convicted.

I would rather give them some where to start then go to jail. Meaning, there is the knife, I was in fear for my life. I have to disagree with you on this.

After you give them a place to start the investigation, then shut up. There is no need to go any further.

The video gives very sound advise on how to deal with the aftermath of a shooting...
    asldkjfqwoifqwo and USM1976 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't deal in law enforcement; I don't deal in the legal system; but an automatic "lawyering up" smacks of hiding something to me. You might as well plead the 5A right off the bat.

There will be an investigation of some sort. It may be five minutes; it may be days, weeks, months. Much of that will depend solely on the evidence at the time of the incident and what you claim at the time. We can only wish there were one "fits all cases" action to be taken if such an incident occurs.
    Hopyard, Snub44 and USM1976 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Massad Ayoob on what to do after a self defense shooting - Democratic Underground

Been takin' Mas's advice a looooong time. Hasn't failed me (or a lotta folks) yet.

dan
    ccw9mm and manolito like this.

VIP Member
    Everybody has an opinion.
    USM1976 and Snub44 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Massad Ayoob on what to do after a self defense shooting - Democratic Underground

Been takin' Mas's advice a looooong time. Hasn't failed me (or a lotta folks) yet.

dan
    Sounds good to me as well...
    diver1102 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post

dan
    I have seen a few of his videos in the past but had never seen this one. He appears to be a wise man and I, for one, choose to accept the counsel of wise men.
    Poseidon likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Senior Moderator
    If you lawyer up first thing you are going to look like you have something to hide.

Follow Chief Ayoob's advice, its good advice
    USM1976 likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    LOL well RE I personally will probably cooperate with the responding officer, state clearly that I was in fear for my life and before the bad guys gun/knife/pipe gets overlooked or goes out with the daily trash where it landed will point out anything that I think will help my case. Yes I will limit what I say after that point but please feel free to not say anything or call your lawyer from the station but I am afraid by that point any evidence that was overlooked or moved won't help you much with the judge and jury.
    RoadKill likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post

I just listened to a podcast with Mas Ayoob in which he tells of a case he just testified on where the victim was charged with 1st degree murder because he didn't point out the evidence, and the shell casings got kicked around. 2 casings ended up 40 ft away from the victim, and were kicked by the paramedics. the casings ended up right next to the body of the criminal....

Now the victim had to pay tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and for expert witness testimony (mas ayoob's).... to prove he shot ALL of his rounds in self-defense.

Mas also told of a case in which a self-defense shooting turned into a murder conviction because by the time the victim talked to the police, the shell casings had been blown away by the wind... his story could not be substantiated, so he is in jail now....
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links