Preparation Scenario

This is a discussion on Preparation Scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a 1br apartment. The only points of entry into my apartment are: bedroom window, glass sliding patio door, and the front door. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Preparation Scenario

Preparation Scenario

I live in a 1br apartment. The only points of entry into my apartment are: bedroom window, glass sliding patio door, and the front door. Luckily, I don't live on the ground floor, so someone would need a ladder to climb through my window or patio door. I always keep my daily carry gun, a spare mag, two flashlights, and a Mossberg 500 with a full tube of 00Buck beside my bed.

Assuming the point of entry for a bad guy is my front door, this is how I would handle an intruder:

1) If I hear someone fumbling at the front door, but they haven't gained access yet, I'll go for the shotgun and flashlight. I'll be peeking around the corner of my bedroom door waiting for them.

2) However, if they quickly smash in the front door and they've already gained access to the apartment, I'll head straight for the handgun instead of the shotgun. In this instance, I prefer the handgun as it's easier to pick up and go, and because I might have to shoot someone who is charging/closer to me. A shotgun would make it easier for someone to try and disarm me. Lastly, I will probably need more maneuverability.

I'm a little concerned about penetrating walls. I have someone who lives above me, below me, and on one side of me. Because of this, shot placement in an apartment is very important.

What do you think of these strategies? What are your home defense strategies, especially in an apartment?

2. Remove Ads

If they are charging me and I can't shoot em with the shotgun: I will rub it all over em until I can get it turned in the right direction. Something long I got both hands on is a way better weapon IMO. Don't forget that a hand gun can be used as a club... so can the shotgun!!

Wait, can a Glock or one of the new lightweight handguns be used to effect as a club? I don't have any large lightweight handguns so I really don't know. Still be pretty effective against a BG's face or the side of the head I would think.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    1. I don't agree with your rational for grabbing the handgun over the shotgun. Be capable of both in any situation.
    2. What floor are you on? It's not unusable for burglers to enter 2nd story or higher apartments here thru the sliding doors, nost commonly when no one is home.
    3. It's you or the bad guy, are you giving in because of possible penetration?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Get close to the door and rack the shotgun..I have heard from many that scares the BG's away

Seriously. Why are you waiting for them to come in? Judgment call but you might want to consider letting them know someone is home and they might stop breaking in. That is assuming it is not a home invasion. They could be burglars thinking no one is home.

I wouldn't be waiting for the BG's because
    1: You don't know how many there are
    2: You don't know what the are armed with.

You have one element, and that is of surprise, and that is assuming they think no one is home.

Anyhoo, stick with the shotgun.
    vilecanards likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Make sure your door is secure enough so that they can't make quick entry, then cover the door with the shotgun while your calling 911.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Several people brought up two important points.

--I was assuming that this scenario would take place while I was asleep, and them knowing that I was home. I suppose I could yell out "I am armed and I will shoot!" before they make entry.

--My door and lock is pretty pathetic. It is a solid wooden door, but I'd much prefer one of those metal doors like my old apartment had. Also, the deadbolt lock is pretty sorry and I'm sure someone could kick it in easily.

--Lastly, one good thing about my apartment is that the leasing office is literally right in front of my unit. This gives me a sense of security during the day when I'm not home.

Senior Moderator
    I would think that they would:

A) wait until they thought no one was home

or

B) try to gain entry by deception...(lost Pizza Delivery guy, someone at the wrong apt. etc....)

before they would try a smash and grab at an apartment complex

Other than that your tactics seem sound
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    I live in a 1br apartment. The only points of entry into my apartment are: bedroom window, glass sliding patio door, and the front door. Luckily, I don't live on the ground floor, so someone would need a ladder to climb through my window or patio door. I always keep my daily carry gun, a spare mag, two flashlights, and a Mossberg 500 with a full tube of 00Buck beside my bed.

Assuming the point of entry for a bad guy is my front door, this is how I would handle an intruder:

1) If I hear someone fumbling at the front door, but they haven't gained access yet, I'll go for the shotgun and flashlight. I'll be peeking around the corner of my bedroom door waiting for them.

2) However, if they quickly smash in the front door and they've already gained access to the apartment, I'll head straight for the handgun instead of the shotgun. In this instance, I prefer the handgun as it's easier to pick up and go, and because I might have to shoot someone who is charging/closer to me. A shotgun would make it easier for someone to try and disarm me. Lastly, I will probably need more maneuverability.

I'm a little concerned about penetrating walls. I have someone who lives above me, below me, and on one side of me. Because of this, shot placement in an apartment is very important.

What do you think of these strategies? What are your home defense strategies, especially in an apartment?
    Grab the shotgun and either go out on the balcony and fire two shots or shoot through the door...Uncle Joe says this will scare off the intruders.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Grab the shotgun and either go out on the balcony and fire two shots or shoot through the door...Uncle Joe says this will scare off the intruders.
    You rack the action first!!! duhhhhhhh Joe left that step out.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You rack the action first!!! duhhhhhhh Joe left that step out.
    But only law enforcement and military need those high capacity repeating shotguns. All us civilian types need is a break action type.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Time is invaluable. Whatever you can do to add time to enter/overpower is a good thing.

I'd be sure to consider toughening the door entry, such as with a brace/bar that can be jammed under the handle while you're indoors (particularly when sleeping).

Since it's an apartment, adding a spendy security door to either the front entry or your bedroom isn't very practical, unless you're willing to rip out the frame/door assembly when you end your lease and leave the apartment. But in a place you own, these are solid improvements to "buying time."

If you don't have an alarm, consider one. It needn't be a home-wide system, nor even monitored. But something that watches for motion in the main/entry area can help buy you time before entry into your bedroom.

If you've got a computer running, you might consider a camera system. Some wireless cameras can be added easily, with recording onto your computer's drive. While it won't necessarily keep anyone out, it could prove invaluable to tracking down who came in.

While you're gone, be sure to have your things locked up. Generally speaking: the stronger the safe, the better. As with any home, you've got some considerations regarding the weight of safe that can be supported, entry/positioning and whether a safe can be gotten in there. At minimum, consider a wall-locking unit that anchors to the framing of a wall that supports your long gun and handguns.

Consider adding some "timer" type mechanism to your lighting/appliances. Can make it seem like you're home when you're not, seem like someone's up and alert, etc. Can be useful, so long as it doesn't follow an exact, repeated time day after day.

Consider a "personal effects" element to your renters/homeowners insurance that'll cover things like firearms/gear if it gets taken while you're gone. Be very specific that your firearms/gear are covered by the policy, as many seem to be "umbrella" but won't cover guns and such.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I tend to think that the "racking of a shotgun" or the "movement of a laser beam" are more urban legends than fact. Personally if I am in a home defense mode (assuming I am in my bedroom at night and someone has entered home say thru a front door or window), the last thing I want to do is announce my presence and location. This also goes for flashlights, as well. I know my house in the dark--the BG does not--why should I give up that advantage with a light that announces my location? From my locked and secured bedroom (large door stopper under door) I will call 911, activate garage door opener and activate alarms on cars (noise, distraction and great beacon for LEOs should they arrive in a timely fashion) as I proceed to my predetermined defense position in bedroom. I have no intention of leaving my bedroom while my house is being ransacked---(only wife and I and not children--children in other parts of home are a very different scenario). All the material goods are insured and replaceable---I am insured and NOT replaceable and am not interested in placing myself in harms way over "stuff". If someone manages to defeat the bedroom door they will not leave the way they came in. My only concerns afterward will be the replacement of a bedroom door jam and the carpet.

If the hinges on your door are decent a mace jammer should make up for your weak lock. Link to jammer. And there are a lot of stuff out there to reinforce patio door. (simple as broom handle in bottom track or charlie bar or both). Many types of window locks depending on window type.

Mace Big Jammer

Go with the shotgun.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

2) However, if they quickly smash in the front door and they've already gained access to the apartment,
    I'll head straight for the handgun instead of the shotgun. In this instance, I prefer the handgun as it's easier to pick up and go, and because I might have to shoot someone who is charging/closer to me. A shotgun would make it easier for someone to try and disarm me. Lastly, I will probably need more maneuverability.

With shotgun still in hand (re: #1), I'd shoot right then and there and wouldn't be "going" to grab anything besides a phone to call 911 afterwards. (assuming you witnessed it go from fumbling to smashing in)

Now, if I was in bed and didn't witness this, I'd grab the shotgun, post up on the other side of the bed (depending on how the room is set up) with the barrel fixed on my bedroom door. If entry to my bedroom door is made, identify target, confirm it's a threat (done in split seconds) and shoot.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links