I'm pretty sure I just thwarted a robbery

This is a discussion on I'm pretty sure I just thwarted a robbery within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think I'm the paranoid type. Listen to my story about going to the gas station just now, and you decide; I just drove ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: I'm pretty sure I just thwarted a robbery

VIP Member

I'm pretty sure I just thwarted a robbery

I don't think I'm the paranoid type. Listen to my story about going to the gas station just now, and you decide;

I just drove out to the gas station to top off the tank for a trip tomorrow. While filling the tank, I'm watching two cars parked in front of the station where one just pulled up, and the two drivers acknowledge each other, but don't exit their vehicles.

I'm thirsty and decide to run in and grab a drink. As I approach the station door, a third car pulls up and one guy from each car gets out and all three acknowledge each other, and walk in with me. One of them says to the other "you ready"? Now, my alarms are ringing loud and clear, and the thought crosses my mind to turn in my tracks and leave. But I'm thirsty and just not in the mood to have these cretins force me to drive to the other side of town for just a cold drink. So I proceed to pick up my bottle of iced tea...

As I approach the cashier, there's one guy in front of me, and the other two fall in line behind me. The one behind me, steps around me, and jabs the guy in front in the shoulder and says "hold up". The guy in front of me, buys a pack of cigarettes and leaves. I buy my drink, and as I'm leaving, the guy that was in front of me walks back in.

The cashier is showing no signs of alarm. I'm pretty sure that once I walk out, it's on. So.... I stay . I have a sudden interest in the headlines of the trash tabloids by the door. The two that were behind me, seem to have forgotten what they were going to purchase and are now milling around. I catch one's eye, and smile and wink at him. With that, he jabbed his buddy and the two left, having purchased nothing. I continued to mill about until the guy that bought the smokes decides that it's time for him to go too.

I really didn't want to play cop, but I had nothing to call the police about, and I'm pretty sure that if I left, something very bad would have happened.

Okay, lemme have it.

2. Remove Ads

A smile and a wink is all it took...
    tcox4freedom, niks, Lish and 2 others like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I think you did stop something. And the " wink" probably screwed with his mind.

As for playing cop, you didn't. You were a good citizen seeing something you didn't like and took a position against it, which caused the evil to fall apart.

I say hats off!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Last time I heard two guys say to each other "Are You ready"......didn't turn out good either.
    tcox4freedom, surefire7 and Spec like this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I've done the same thing before. So, I believe your instincts were most likely correct. (Winking really does screw with their heads.)

-
    ArmyCop likes this.

You used your greatest weapon: the head on your shoulders.

That wink and a nod looks like it saved the clerk from going through the worst moment of his life. And it saved three felonious cretins from getting ventilated and/or shoved into a cage for the rest of their lives (minus the 80% of the sentence that would get sidestepped by the vacuous idiots charged with executing the People's will, that is).

Kudos, sir.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That smile and wink probably was interpreted as, "Go ahead punk, make my day". Ha Ha Ya got guts.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Nice! That's good stuff right there. Hopefully they don't return, although the cashier needs to wake up!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Worked for Doc Holliday also.......
    Badey likes this.

So, on average, situations are generally with a couple yards and occur with one threatening felon. In this instance, it was three of them, and you weren't sure whether any one of them or all three was armed.

What gun/ammo did you have with you, BTW, in case it blew sideways (if you care to make that public)?
    Bark'n likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So, on average, situations are generally with a couple yards and occur with one threatening felon. In this instance, it was three of them, and you weren't sure whether any one of them or all three was armed.

What gun/ammo did you have with you, BTW, in case it blew sideways (if you care to make that public)?
    I also wondered this WHEC, but did not want this to get blown into the hypothetical "ok so what would you have done if it went down" thread
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

The one thing you missed was the perfect quote to add to the wink.

WHEC724, wmhawth and niks like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I also wondered this WHEC, but did not want this to get blown into the hypothetical "ok so what would you have done if it went down" thread
    The truth is, I was woefully under-gunned for that situation. I had an airweight (S&W 637) loaded with 5 rounds of 158gr lswc.

However, that snubby is something that I'm fairly proficient with, and they all were within 15 feet of me. I do practice for this sort of drill and pray that I never have to use it.

Lack of confidence is not an inherent trait for the men in my family.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Sure sounds like you stopped *something* to me.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Knowing how those pansies are you probably didnt need more than one shot before they were tripping over themselves to flee like cowards. But even still the j frame is better than nothing! I love carrying mine, and I am sure if needed it would have served you well.
    perfection likes this.
    BigJon

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links