Home invasion

This is a discussion on Home invasion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Working today, one of my coworkers gets a phone call from his brother. Apparently his brother arrived home to find a man ransacking his home, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Home invasion

Home invasion

Working today, one of my coworkers gets a phone call from his brother. Apparently his brother arrived home to find a man ransacking his home, he called 911 and sometime between the call and officers arriving a single shot was fired. Coworkers brother is ok. He says the invader had a weapon, not sure what the weapon was. This city is a mess it's nice to hear the good guy come out on top for once!
    http://m.standardspeaker.com/news/ma...k-in-1.1465678

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Home invasion is too overused these days. A home invasion is when you are home and someone breaks down your door or forces their way in. What you describe was a burglary in progress. A minor point perhaps but this is akin to using the term "assault" weapon. Let's call things by what they really are and not what sounds best. :)
    Snub44, 91wm6, USM1976 and 13 others like this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Glad the homeowner is OK. Like Old Dog said, this was a burglary in progress.
    Eagleks and crossfireltd like this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Man, I hope that never happens to me. But, that's why we are on this website learning/discussing and it's why we train.

mkh
    Your description sounds like a burglary but the article makes it sound like a one invasion as it seems to imply the brother was in the house not just arriving.

I'm glad the owner is ok.I know if it ever happens to me,i would freak out.Home invasion,or robbery,whatever,we aren't in court,it's not that big of a deal.

Ha ha invasion, common misconception, as stated above it was burglary
    Lets hope it doesn't happen to any of us here, if it happens in my home, well I will be calling cops after a few well placed shots
    Never ever let the bad guy out alive
    And guys, show no mercy, ever!!!!!!

Really? Invasion or burg. Who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    Home invasion is too overused these days. A home invasion is when you are home and someone breaks down your door or forces their way in. What you describe was a burglary in progress. A minor point perhaps but this is akin to using the term "assault" weapon. Let's call things by what they really are and not what sounds best. :)
    In Texas, when he fired the bullet it also became an Aggravated Robbery or Attempted Capital Murder depending on how the DA's Office decided to pursue it when the thug is caught. So, what does all this mean...its a 2nd degree (2 - 20 years) felony to burglarize a habitation for theft only. The charges of Aggravated Robbery and Attempted Capital Murder are 1st degree felonies (5 - 99 or life).

Quote Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post

It matters quite a bit for some. In many states a home invasion (breaking in while the home is occupied) is grounds for use of deadly force while arriving at a burglary is not since protection of property is not grounds for the use of deadly force.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    It matters quite a bit for some. In many states a home invasion (breaking in while the home is occupied) is grounds for use of deadly force while arriving at a burglary is not since protection of property is not grounds for the use of deadly force.
    Agreed. Big distinction. It's not semantics. And someone who would burglarize would not necessarily home invade. That's a whole 'norther ball o' wax. Jmo

If you read the article it mentions them finding a second weapon where the man was shot, according to the troopers the guy that got shot also had a firearm

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    What was the one shot all about?
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Actually it does matter. But one trick. If you call 911 and say HOME INVASION you will likely get a completely higher level of response to your home than calling in for example a prowler or burglar. It's a term that has become part of our media driven pop culture. Just like assault weapon, gun violence, arsenal and all the other words that are misused.

In fact those little things called words mean very little these days. OP, glad everyone was okay. I always come home fully armed and have visual indicators I check to see if someone may be in the house. If I discovered a burglar the cops would be getting the call after the fact.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Really? Magazine or clip; assault weapon or semi-auto firearm. The is a difference.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links