Shoot from high and low cover quick drills for CC and OC carry - video

This is a discussion on Shoot from high and low cover quick drills for CC and OC carry - video within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took a few minutes yesterday to practice some shooting from cover skills, heck I only live 10 minutes from the gun club and the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By GeorgiaShooter
  • 1 Post By Old_Dog

Thread: Shoot from high and low cover quick drills for CC and OC carry - video

Shoot from high and low cover quick drills for CC and OC carry - video

I took a few minutes yesterday to practice some shooting from cover skills, heck I only live 10 minutes from the gun club and the weather was awesome. My wife issued me official orders to go pickup a truck load of mulch so I sneaked the range bag into the truck and accidently stopped by there on the way back, LOL.

I hear people in my shooting circles talking about how cover means nothing because it can be shot through. Well that's horse crap. Whether cover is hard or soft it still performs the job. If you come from cover instantly firing deadly accurate, avoid popping your head in and out broadcasting your position, and if you don't wrap your arms around the corner and hug it like most IDPA competitors you probably wont get your butt shot off. And doing this right ensures you will own the ass of the bad guy.

I've also been amazed how accurate and precise shooting from LOW COVER can be. So I post a few very short examples. Takes more time to read this post than watch these videos. I'm not some tactical hot shot so these techniques are easy for any regular shooter. These vids are not instructional in nature though. I make too many experimental mistakes in my drills to consider them a demo of any sort. They just give other shooters ideas and stimulate valuable discussions.

What the bad guy sees when you shoot from cover - YouTube

Shooting from LOW COVER Sig p938 - YouTube

More OC Experiment Practice with XDS45 and BRAIDS holster - YouTube
    tony1990 and kc5cychris like this.

2. Remove Ads

Good shooting GeorgiaShooter!!
    I Love Guns!!!

Cover means nothing? Thats insane...

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    GeorgiaShooter, noticed in last video you where shooting left side of cover and rolling out while still shooting right handed. Food for thought, transfer the gun to left and it keeps you behind the cover, just like when you shoot the right side.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

AOK
    Just curious, do you open carry?

Just some food for thought.... When you are out in the open and scanning/assessing it's not recommended to stand stationary in one spot. I've learned it's good to continue to move for two reasons. 1. If your assailant goes to the ground but may still have some fight in him he is naturally going to look up for you in the same spot he last saw you. 2. I'm sure you understand "getting off the X". If your first assailant or two goes down and you stop stop to scan and assess, you are on the X again if there is another assailant flanking you from behind. After the assailant(s) are down continue to move while scanning and assessing.

Makes sense to shoot from cover whenever you can. Gave me something to think about.

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Thanks all, much appreciate the advice too. AOK, I hear you and I need to work on getting off the X full time instead of only practicing sometimes, same with scanning and reloading. Bill MO, I'll try to work on that more also, coming around that way felt faster on that run, not sure why I even did it but I suspect because I've been shooting at angles coming around corners a lot in competition and I think that habit bled over into my defense practice. I will take this advice to heart and welcome any more you have.

Distinguished Member
    I am confused. Concealment can be shot through but hides you from view. Cover, by definition will prevent you from being shot. I do not know who you hang out with at your gun club but it does not seem to be the same kind of shooters that I do. :) I am happy to see a post about this though. So many people simply go to a range, take their time and shoot slowly at static paper targets and think they are prepared for self defense. The only saving grace is that the great majority of gun owners will never have to shoot their guns or else many would find out that those skills do not help much in the real deal.
    bigdogtx likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

This was a very informative video, thanks!
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Thanks dd...

Old_Dog, I call sheetrock or any material you can fire through soft cover, and anything a bullet can't pass through like a brick wall hard cover. I admit my terminology may not match everyone though. I call any garment covering gun concealment. I can only agree whole heartedly with your post. I love watching my own training videos 6 months later, in most cases they make me cringe, meaning I'm getting slowly better. I don't just take other people's advice though, I take it and test it. I feel very fortunate to have a club nearby that I can afford. I spend less over a year time now than ever before using standard indoor ranges, and there's no comparison in the benefits. Most of the wisdom and sage advice I get comes from some super experienced real world shooters. One mentor has been in hundreds of armed raids and shootouts in his career. Whenever I come up with something stupid, he usually brings me back to earth. He also tells me what really happens in shoot outs compared to what we see in training classes, DVDs and competition like IDPA. His experience doesn't always match the training. Although I note some stark differences in how local cops, military and federal agencies train. US Marshalls train here once a month, I watch them, then pick up their brass ;)

Links