Neighbors dog

This is a discussion on Neighbors dog within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my neighbors dog keeps getting out, scared me a bit once a few weeks ago, barking and growling very aggressively . Today my dad ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Neighbors dog

Neighbors dog

So my neighbors dog keeps getting out, scared me a bit once a few weeks ago, barking and growling very aggressively . Today my dad was over and the dog kept barking and growling at my dad from about 5ft. My dad had a stick ready. I walked out and the dog was doing the same thing again that it did a few weeks ago. Just is very aggressive to us. I really think It might attack.

Not sure what I can and can't do. Prolly get some OC spray and a nasty "stick" and keep it in my garage. Is that all I can do or can I take more measures if need be ? I'll be damned if if gets close to my wife or newborn

I will talk to the owner if I ever see them, but they are never there and just the kind of ppl who don't care( does not take care of house).
    I'll try animal control next time I see the dog, but I really don't wanna get in bad with the neighbors.

All this takes place on my property.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Call Animal Control. Most places require dogs be either within a fenced yard, on a leash, or inside. The dog is TRESPASSING!!
    mano3 and tcox4freedom like this.

I had that problem once,with one of my neighbor's dog,in my yard.I made up my mind,if the dog even looked like he was going to bite anyone,i would shoot him.I decided to call the cops and suggested they may want to mention to the owner,"Leash Law".That said,i don't know about Texas laws,obviously.
    deafdave3 likes this.

Start a paper trail now with LEO/Animal Control so that you are on record as complaining should anything happen. Why not try some "passive" repellent around your property? I think you can buy some scents that you place around your home to discourage wildlife. A few bucks of repellent could save a bunch of hassle.

I have exactly zero patience with dogs around my kids. I'm a dog lover, but that doesn't mean I won't shoot one.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Start a paper trail now with LEO/Animal Control so that you are on record as complaining should anything happen. Why not try some "passive" repellent around your property? I think you can buy some scents that you place around your home to discourage wildlife. A few bucks of repellent could save a bunch of hassle.

I have exactly zero patience with dogs around my kids. I'm a dog lover, but that doesn't mean I won't shoot one.
    Started a paper trail, I'm also a Animal lover but would not hesitate either with any dog with my wife, newborn and my self.

you could try dog spray like the mailman carries, I use it when I'm out for a run, works great and doesn't have any permanent effects. I defenitely would let the local LEO and Animal Control know, like Superhouse said to start a paper trail. Where I live we don't have Animal Control and the Sheriffs department will only come out if the dog is vicious and needs to be shot, well I can do that if need be, would rather not, I'd start running out of places to bury them.
    GunTrooper likes this.

leo / animal control....keep complaining. Also, speak to your neighbor, and explain what is happening. A little pepper spray will go a long way. And if does attack or gets more agressive , shoot it. I was forced to dispatch a neighbors very large and agressive lab several years ago. I had spoken to the neighbor, who was very apologetic, had called the cops and animal control, and told all of them I would shoot it if I had to. well, when it cornered me in my own small back yard and wouldnt let me by, i dropped it. I felt bad, but at the same time I did what was necessary. The neighbor was upset but knew her dog was a problem in the neighborhood, and myself and several others had warned that we would shoot it if we had too.
    Snub44 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I hate shooting dogs, but sometimes...they just up and vanish...who da' thunk?

"NOPE, I haven't seen him all day!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by heatherr855 View Post
    I had that problem once,with one of my neighbor's dog,in my yard.I made up my mind,if the dog even looked like he was going to bite anyone,i would shoot him.I decided to call the cops and suggested they may want to mention to the owner,"Leash Law".That said,i don't know about Texas laws,obviously.
    Perfect answer
    heatherr855 likes this.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

The dog bit you and is still breathing? If my own dog bit me he would be taking a dirt nap. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Perfect answer
    I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the dog if I ultimately had to, but I don't want and legal issues with the law either. If I can if he attacks me ten I will. I'm going to get some pepper spray tomorrow.

I barely ever see these neighbors, maybe once every two weeks. I work til the late evening . But will keep an eye out if I see one of them. The wife is kinda of a b****. And I met the husband when I moved in a few weeks ago.

I'm a dog lover.

I own two and one is a rescue.
    But I'll shoot one in a heartbeat if I had to.

I've punted a dog's head with my boot as a kid before I was armed. He charged me as i walked by their house. He had treed me more than once before. After that it would run the other way when it saw me until I moved across town.

I've also shot wild dogs on my property more than once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Administrator
    If the dog comes onto your property just give him a little shot of OC spray.

It's not the dogs fault. That is ingrained behavior in dogs.

They are "pack" creatures and are territorial by nature and they tend to want to protect the pack (their respective family/owners) & property.

That is what the dog thinks that he/she is doing.

But, you need to understand that they have no way of differentiating or knowing the difference between your property and their territory.

A small shot of pepper spray will teach the dog where the boundary line is and will not permanently harm the dog.

That is the exact same way that dogs learn to leave skunks and porcupines alone.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

jump through the legal hoops (animal control/leo's) and very important: document everything, that is, dates, time of day/night, witnesses, etc
    pictures & videos can be helpful as well
    Snub44 likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Call leo, if it tries to attack you can leagally shoot a dog to protect life or limb.
    A small gun in your poket is better than a 45 in the truck.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links