Bad on Bad

This is a discussion on Bad on Bad within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was listening to a deputy sheriff give a talk about gang activity a few weeks ago, and he explicitly indicated that "home invasion" was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Bad on Bad

Bad on Bad

I was listening to a deputy sheriff give a talk about gang activity a few weeks ago, and he explicitly indicated that "home invasion" was a term for the media to use when one bad person tries to steal from or harm another bad person. He said that the average law-abiding citizen doesn't have much to worry about at home in his own living room.

At first I thought, nah, we should all be on guard. I brushed it off as sometimes true, but that is not a great thing to say to a group of people concerned about violence. Now, several weeks later, I'm thinking that it was just plain irresponsible.

What do you all think?

How does it apply to everyday living, meaning not in the home, but in the car, at work, at play, etc...?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRider View Post
    (A deputy sheriff) explicitly indicated that "home invasion" was a term for the media to use when one bad person tries to steal from or harm another bad person.
    This is a gross distortion or lie. "Home invasion" isn't simply something that occurs to BG's.

He said that the average law-abiding citizen doesn't have much to worry about at home in his own living room.
    Statistically speaking, the "average" person isn't very likely to encounter any such thing. He's right.

But, being capable of withstanding deadly violence if it does arise is sort of like having a parachute when jumping out of a plane: it's just the smart thing to do, if one wants to survive the impact.

I'd agree with you, that such claims as were made by that deputy are irresponsible.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I would guess if you figure the odds he is prob right. Thats not to say that home invasions never happen to good people but he lives and works it so prob know most of the time its bad people invading other bad probs homes.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    oldnfat likes this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

I suppose the chief of the Colorado prison system and the D.A. and A.D.A of Kaufman Texas were secretly gangbangers.
    What a stupid thing to say.
    Stevew, Bad Bob and Spec like this.

I sat here for a couple minutes trying to frame a response to this and I am still waiting for the words to come.

There is no response that works or says what I want to say. Sometimes you are simply speechless when confronted with utter stupidity.

Statistically could be true. I see a lot more of the lower income neighborhoods in the news concerning home invasions. Statistically could it be construed that lower income means more crime thus more BG's per capita, I don't know.

Does "home invasion" mean someone was home and "burglary" mean was not occupied at the time?
    ep1953 likes this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    ep1953 and tcox4freedom like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

You do not need a parachute to sky dive. Unless you want to do it twice

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRider View Post
    I was listening to a deputy sheriff give a talk about gang activity a few weeks ago, and he explicitly indicated that "home invasion" was a term for the media to use when one bad person tries to steal from or harm another bad person. He said that the average law-abiding citizen doesn't have much to worry about at home in his own living room.

At first I thought, nah, we should all be on guard. I brushed it off as sometimes true, but that is not a great thing to say to a group of people concerned about violence. Now, several weeks later, I'm thinking that it was just plain irresponsible.

What do you all think?

How does it apply to everyday living, meaning not in the home, but in the car, at work, at play, etc...?
    Context of the conversation is important here. If he was responding to the question "what is it called when a BG breaks into the home of another BG then I have trouble seeing any problem with what he said. Based on the info you gave us one shouldn't assume the officer is saying ONLY bg on bg crime is "home invasion"
    SCXDm9 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    This is a bunch of BS. Their trying to change the definitions of words again.
    Ghost1958 and ep1953 like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Sure the ODDS are against it, but I do not like to gamble with my life or that of my families no matter how slim the odds. I prefer the DA out here who said "lock your doors and load your guns." Reality may not be pretty, but I prefer the truth.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I'll take Toro Feces for $400...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    You do not need a parachute to sky dive. Unless you want to do it twice
    And one doesn't need to withstand deadly violence ... that is, unless you want a second opportunity at living.

Funny, how simple such things are. Sad, how silly such dismissals are, of fairly common occurrences in every state in our country.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'll take Toro Feces for $400...
    Now that retsupt has caused me to spew liquids all over my keyboard, everyone will just have to use their imagination as to what I'm thinking bout this deputy...as well as anyone who might succumb to his drivel...
    Ghost1958 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Now that retsupt has caused me to spew liquids all over my keyboard, everyone will just have to use their imagination as to what I'm thinking bout this deputy...as well as anyone who might succumb to his drivel...
    Drivel is right Sgt...He needs his lips staples shut...
    Ghost1958 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Civilians don't need defensive weapons. Just call the police. They'll be there in minutes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links