Let him live?

This is a discussion on Let him live? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. One or two men (don't matter) approach you, they are about 10 feet away when they say "give us your money or you'll be ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Let him live?

Let him live?

1. One or two men (don't matter) approach you, they are about 10 feet away when they say "give us your money or you'll be sorry." Do you say you have a gun and hope they back down? Do you draw your weapon, finger off the trigger, and verbally command them to back down? Or, make them very very sorry?

2. Same two men approach you and brandish their weapon, at this point it does not matter what they say, your life is in danger. (obviously Mexican carry, lol, dirt bags don't have holsters) Obviously you draw your weapon, but is your finger off the trigger, or should my glock be right at its breaking point? If your finger is off the trigger, do you still tell the dirt bags that you are about to give them a chance to live if they back down?

3. Same thing, but the BGs already have their weapons drawn. If you share my opinion about action being the best reaction, then do you draw and shoot or draw and warn.

#3 is easy, if you think action is the best reaction, I am drawing and finding center mass right away, then I pray my hollow points expand before he gets the nerve to shoot.

I want opinions on #1 and #2 only, #3 is an instinctive choice that I will just have to deal with if I am not fast enough. I am wondering about the verbal command thing and giving the BG a chance to back down if a gun, knife, bat, crowbar, is not already drawn on you.

I think if I am threatened, weapon brandished or just verbal threat (even if just a threat of physical injury) my gun is coming out, but I am willing to give the bad guy a chance to walk away alive. (only if incident does not occur where I live, I don't think I would let the BG live if he knew where my wife and daughter sleep)

Everybody's thoughts?

NOTE: I do not care if they just want money or my car or whatever they want. I REFUSE to be at the mercy of some scum bag that wont get a job and wants to take what I worked hard for.

2. Remove Ads

OK.. so only my personal opinions...

1) I'd put my hand on my handgun... and walk away... call police as soon as possible.

2) I'd draw and put them down. (p/s I also carry mexican most of the time)

3) I'd consider giving them my money, or if I believe I can get away with it I'd draw and put them down.

Just a quick clue... Dead from a knife, bat, Crowbar etc. is exactly the same as being dead from being shot. My carry philosophy is to not be in that position, and if I did find my self in that possible position to recognize it, and prepare for the possibility of a robbery.
    latentcarry and crossfireltd like this.

Sorry, not making fun of Mexican carry. Referring to the man lifting the front of his shirt to reveal the entire profile of the gun. This would confirm I know its a gun, with out a doubt, if the BG is facing me, and telling my brain draw/shoot. I'm too fat to imagine Mexican carry as a carry option. A little unfair judgement on my part.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I can say from experiences, both in employment and personal experience.

If one ever has the need to show their gun, it best be being fired as it is shown. Person or persons can lunge at you if they feel you are going for a gun. Trust me, they can be on you faster than you can draw and fire. They generally will not run at the sight of a gun. They figure you are going to shoot them and their emotions say get the gun and then get you. I have worked many cases where people were shot after they showed a gun or tried drawing one without shooting. That said, the problem does not go away once you had to shoot. If they survive, they will tell police a much different story than you did. Most will say they were only asking you directions and you pulled a gun and shot them. The last criminal event I worked like this, the perps said they were asking for a couple of dollars to get them bus fare home. You have to prove your case.

If someone has a gun on you, they can fire faster than you can draw and if you do draw, you better be emptying your gun as you do. You would be lucky to survive such an encounter. I have known a few that did but they were lucky. Also the emotions during this type situation are so high that most of the time, both sides miss their targets. An example of this are the many times LEO had confrontations and neither party was hit at distances of less than 20 feet.

When a person has a gun drawn on you, comply with his demands but NEVER relinquish your gun or let them know you have one. Your wallet, credit cards, money or such things can be replaced but once you draw your gun or even say you have one, the rules of engagement changes.

I suggest that everyone should have a gun but do all you can to avoid showing or using it. I will give my pocket money up before I would go through a shooting and all the residual effects of a shooting, assuming I survive. Having used my gun three times, I can say first hand, even using it in the scope and nature of employment, the hours of interviews, the law suits and such that follow is not pleasant.
    Saber, steadfast, Hopyard and 3 others like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCinaG26 View Post
    1. One or two men (don't matter) approach you, they are about 10 feet away when they say "give us your money or you'll be sorry." Do you say you have a gun and hope they back down? Do you draw your weapon, finger off the trigger, and verbally command them to back down? Or, make them very very sorry? If at all possible stop them before they are only 10 ft away. Way to close!.....Question to ask yourself "is my life threatened?" If not I can't bring the gun into play legally in my state, without some question later by LE.

2. Same two men approach you and brandish their weapon, at this point it does not matter what they say, your life is in danger. (obviously Mexican carry, lol, dirt bags don't have holsters) Obviously you draw your weapon, Tell me why you drew your weapon. Bring a gun into the situation is for only one reason and gun is not to be used as a threatening tool on your part. It's a tool to help you stop the threat to your life. but is your finger off the trigger, or should my glock be right at its breaking point? If your finger is off the trigger, do you still tell the dirt bags that you are about to give them a chance to live if they back down?

3. Same thing, but the BGs already have their weapons drawn. If you share my opinion about action being the best reaction, then do you draw and shoot or draw and warn. Again I have to ask, why did you draw your weapon?

#3 is easy, if you think action is the best reaction, I am drawing and finding center mass right away, then I pray my hollow points expand before he gets the nerve to shoot. I may be wrong in what I understand you saying here But IF you try to out draw and fire on a already drawn gun and get your stance, grip and all just right standing in one spot, I've lost.

I want opinions on #1 and #2 only, #3 is an instinctive choice that I will just have to deal with if I am not fast enough. I am wondering about the verbal command thing and giving the BG a chance to back down if a gun, knife, bat, crowbar, is not already drawn on you.

I think if I am threatened, weapon brandished or just verbal threat (even if just a threat of physical injury) my gun is coming out, but I am willing to give the bad guy a chance to walk away alive. (only if incident does not occur where I live, I don't think I would let the BG live if he knew where my wife and daughter sleep)

Everybody's thoughts?

NOTE: I do not care if they just want money or my car or whatever they want. I REFUSE to be at the mercy of some scum bag that wont get a job and wants to take what I worked hard for. To use your gun your life or the life of another has to be in danger. Property does not count in most states.
    CCinaG26, my advice is for you to get training on the hows and whys, ifs and maybes of winning a gunfight.

I have no intent to let my having a gun be known untill it is being fired.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    CCinaG26, my advice is for you to get training on the hows and whys, ifs and maybes of winning a gunfight.

I have no intent to let my having a gun be known untill it is being fired.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    In situation 1 I draw my weapon and they decide the course of action. If they immediately turn and retreat, they live to try their luck another day. In situation 2 they have shown they not only intend to do harm, but have the means of doing it. They started the dance, I'm going to end it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I would like to make one comment that should be the preeminent precursor to the contents of the original thread. Before you end up in any of the thread's scenarios, situational awareness (SA) and every kind of evasion, avoidance etal is and should be the first step. If you avoid areas or times of day where these scenarios could happen they won't. If you turn around and walk away, cross the street--anything--that does not end with the confrontation, it won't. Even if what you do only delays the inevitable confrontation, you have had a chance to "size up" the situation and its variables that will enable you to make, hopefully, the best course of action--having those few moments can be the difference between a bad mistake and the best course of action. I do not know where all of you live and work and it is obvious that I have been blessed in my 71 years of never ever having had any kind of confrontation of any kind requiring even a thought of a firearm. I am 100% committed to SA and all of its complementary aspects and it works. As the old adage goes--if you do not go places or do things that either require you to CC or end up needing your CC, you probably made a mistake before it ever got to that point of needing to be CC.
    inneyeseakay likes this.

Being approached by one or a couple of maggots intent on robbery does not deserve the warning of "I have a gun." Did they warn you first of the impending robbery? They don't care about you or your "safety" so warning them will be the last thing I would want to do. They have made a very bad choice in careers and they do not deserve warning.

Just because they may not initially show a weapon does not mean they are unarmed. The majority of thugs these days have a weapon of some sort, it makes the robbery easier and puts the odds of success in their favour unless you are armed as well.

How can you determine if the thug will be benevolent and allow you to keep your life after they have rendered you no longer in possession of your property? Being approached by "thuggish" looking gentlemen will put my Spidey sense into overdrive and I would be at the ready to draw the gun in a heart beat. We can no longer trust these types to leave you among the living.

If they push the envelope and think I would not shoot someone threatening me by an armed robbery that could result in my injury or death, they will have to think again. My "benevolence" towards thugs has been gone for sometime, I'll shoot if I must. I have decided that sometimes that is the only way to deal with the type of thugs we see today. Sorry to have to feel this way but that is just how things have become.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I agree with oldman45.

If being robbed I would not 'hand' over my money. I would throw it down & hope going for it would give me a chance to get away or the drop on them.

I agree with what a few of the other guys have said. Money or wallet, etc. can be easily replaced. I don't carry a lot of cash on me, so in the event they take my wallet and run away, a simple phone call to the bank prevents fraudulent use of my cards. However, if they have the means and the intent to inflict harm, I will protect myself and my family by any means necessary. Likely that will be with the Glock on the side of my hip.

My CHL instructor explained to us that you should not pull your weapon unless you intend to use it. If you pull it and someone else sees it, or if the bad guy gets away and happens to call LEO's first, you are in a world of trouble. It should only be used as a last resort when you feel that your life is in imminent danger and the only way to resolve that situation is to use deadly force yourself.

Also, I know that these situations can happen anywhere at anytime, but my instructor also made a good point in stating that criminals are on the lookout for an easy target. They make their living by taking things from weak or unsuspecting victims. They will not go after someone if they feel they will be at a disadvantage. Keep your awareness up, don't be the guy texting while walking down the sidewalk at night not paying attention to a thing in the world.

-Amperius
    In God and Glock We Trust.

We can post all the "what if" scenarios we desire. However, until anyone is placed into the cicumstances suggested, they don't know what they'll do.
    rutcrazed likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    In a perfect world the BGs honorably announce thier intentions from a distance. In reality, they use surprise and shock as primary weapons. Even in the "old west", that is how it was most often done. Drawing against a ready weapon would be gambling that they can't hit you. Not a good bet. One thing about mouse guns, I can have it in my hand, inside my pants pocket, and look normal, and pull it out smoothly.
    Amperius likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

So basically the general opinion is to avoid the situation at all cost and don't draw unless you plan on shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    We can post all the "what if" scenarios we desire. However, until anyone is placed into the cicumstances suggested, they don't know what they'll do.
    That is not quite true. Thru training and experience you can know what to do, and how to respond. A gunfight is just a fight with a gun in it...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links