Animals

This is a discussion on Animals within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I know this guy that works in the middle of a big city and had a wild coyote come into his shop...he pulled his ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Animals

Animals

So I know this guy that works in the middle of a big city and had a wild coyote come into his shop...he pulled his carry weapon and shot it 3 times before it died...its my understanding it didn't attack anyone and was just standing there before finally dropping after the 3rd shot.

My question is what is the repercussions of firing on an animal inside the city limits and how should it be handled? Call the police and report you just shot an animal or what? Just kind of curious what kind of problems I might be looking at especially if the animal wasn't attacking me. If its a case of me or him, the animal is going down no questions asked...but if its a dangerous wild animal and MIGHT attack is it still OK to stand your ground and discharge a weapon inside the city limits?
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

2. Remove Ads

TVJ
    That is just so lame.

How about yelling at it to scare it away and going back to work.

I completely and utterly dont get the threat from a standing coyote that I couldnt scare away using voice and waving hands.

Did I mention how utterly stupid it was to shoot and kill the coyote in this instance from tactical, legal, and necessity standpoints?

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail...
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    While it might be considered getting dinner in Arkansas, it would be considered unsporting and illegal here. If it poses a threat it legal and that would over-ride an "inside city limits" charge, but I would have been more tempted to toss it a sandwich. This guy disgusts me and should not be allowed to have a weapon, or go outside without a helmet.
    Patti and StripesDude like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Will probably depend on state laws. I would have been very worried if a coyote had just wandered into my shop when I owned it. They will normally do everything possible to avoid humans. If they have lost that fear, or are sick they can be very dangerous. I'd rather not wait to find out.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I hope he cleared his field of fire behind the coyote. Wonder where those projectiles ended up? Shooting a weapon in an urban area without a real threat seems highly questionable to me.

Most of what was said above echoes my feelings....I was not there so I don't have all the facts, just relaying what I know. There are coyote seasons around here to hunt them but I don't know if they are in season right now either.

I am of the feeling I would try to scare it off before shooting it and if it attacked its going down...they might have tried, I'm not sure....it just got me to thinking about different situations. He did recover the bullets, they went into some wood stacked up behind the animal and as far as I know never reported the shooting. He mentioned someone standing outside thought it sounded like a pallet being thrown around.
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    A wild animal coming into a shop in the middle of the day and being docile is not something you or your kids want to be around or have around. I say good he got rid of it. Most likely it was sick.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    That is just so lame.

How about yelling at it to scare it away and going back to work.

I completely and utterly dont get the threat from a standing coyote that I couldnt scare away using voice and waving hands.

Did I mention how utterly stupid it was to shoot and kill the coyote in this instance from tactical, legal, and necessity standpoints?

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail...
    What???? Dude... Haven't you seen that movie with Liam Neeson? Those things are killers! One tracked him down and almost did him in singlehandedly (OK, it has paws, not hands, whatever). Anyway, they are seriously dangerous and they can... Oh... Ummm.... Sorry, that was wolves. Never mind.

Darrow75 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    What???? Dude... Haven't you seen that movie with Liam Neeson? Those things are killers! One tracked him down and almost did him in singlehandedly (OK, it has paws, not hands, whatever). Anyway, they are seriously dangerous and they can... Oh... Ummm.... Sorry, that was wolves. Never mind.

no no...youre right. I forgot the Liam rule of thumb regarding very small predators. Thx for the reminder. :-)

Wild hog, yes. Wild boar, yes. Shoot. Pitbull charging, yes.

Coyote? Please.

And as far as the sickness/rabid idea, follow step number one with voice and hands...yelling LOUD. If that doesnt scare it off or if it attacks, then have at it.

And another thing....oh wait, there's a big Texas sized brown Tarantula in the master bath...gotta hop 'n get my Jim Fuller/Rifle Dynamics modified Arsenal SBR AK 'n take care of bidness.....
    TX expat and NH_Esau like this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

It coming that close to humans, I'd worry about it being rabid. I'd probably yell at it first.
    As far as the legal factors, I'd imagine it depends on the local.
    gasmitty and ZX9RCAM like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    no no...youre right. I forgot the Liam rule of thumb regarding very small predators. Thx for the reminder. :-)

Wild hog, yes. Wild boar, yes. Shoot. Pitbull charging, yes.

Coyote? Please.

And as far as the sickness/rabid idea, follow step number one with voice and hands...yelling LOUD. If that doesnt scare it off or if it attacks, then have at it.

And another thing....oh wait, there's a big Texas sized brown Tarantula in the master bath...gotta hop 'n get my Jim Fuller/Rifle Dynamics modified Arsenal SBR AK 'n take care of bidness.....
    You forgot beavers. Beavers + paparazzi = carnage

Holy Smokes! Respect Nature.
    TVJ likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Its a $50 bill in Utah. Shoot away.

Coyotes are not normally around people for long...they will quickly run. If one is approaching me in a business or subdivision, I'd quickly dispatch it. They have been known to attack pets and small children, and one that will approach humans is very dangerous.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A wild animal with zero fear inside a garage/building? No mercy, IMO.

If merely seen outside, seen running in some direction, or seen far from people/buildings, that's one thing. But, inside? IMO, the rules change.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    We have quit a few around here and can hear them yelping to each others groups at night. I hunt , camp and hike and almost never see one. One coming into a urban area does sound as if it was not scared of humans or sick. Either way not a good situation.
    Spirit51 and phreddy like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links