A car pulls over and you go ahead...

This is a discussion on A car pulls over and you go ahead... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ****LONG POST WARNING ****** So here's the scenario that happened to me 2night. I was taking my friend home in my truck and was coming ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A car pulls over and you go ahead...

A car pulls over and you go ahead...

****LONG POST WARNING ******

So here's the scenario that happened to me 2night. I was taking my friend home in my truck and was coming up to a high school when the white 4dr car in front of me pulls to the side of the road so I go around, and as he pulls back onto the road (keep in mind it's 12:00 AM CST, and road is pretty much deserted) Anyways he puts his brights on (well light road so I wasn't blinded) and I stop at the red light in front of me as I'm supposed to waiting for it to turn green this car comes to my PS and pulls in front of me makes a U-Turn and stares my friend and I down... luckily he didn't brandish a weapon or anything of that sort and did keep on driving. But for my own safety I went back to my parents house and drove a different vehicle back to my Apt. (JIC he was still roaming around neighborhoods waiting for me to come back into the area.) After that I decided better safe than sorry and pulled my weapon out of my center console and placed it in between my legs so that if I had to be I could be ready in case anything happened.

Luckily nothing happened, but I realized as I finished the drive to my friends house that that could have ended very badly! He could have pulled around and shot at us, now I doubt that would happen this is a nice neighborhood but I dunno, makes me start to think.

My friend asked me if my brights were on I said "nope not @ all" So we're trying to figure out why he pulled over and then u-turned in front of us (being as there was plenty of room behind us.) It was only one occupent in the vehicle.

What do ya'll think, did I react right, what could I have done better. (I think if he would have brandished and pointed a weapon @ me I would have slammed on the gas and rammed his car or tried to evade, since @ that time my weapon was still in the center console, I couldn't have ducked the bullets if they had started flying @ all because I have racing harnesses in my truck and the shoulder straps don't allow you to duck down @ all.

Anyways sorry for the long winded post, just curious on ya'lls views?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I think you did fine, but I don't think ramming is ever a good idea unless left with no other option. There is almost always enough room to drive around and get out of there. I would hate to have my vehicle out of commision and be forced to stay and fight when Imay be outnumbered or out gunned. Just my .02- I think the way it went down, you did fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sound choices. Whatever set him off (headlights, likely), he was on the edge. No way to tell. If it had escalated, definitely your 3500-lb vehicle is your greatest weapon. Good choice to head elsewhere, change cars. Though, heading to your parents' home could have made them a target, if the perp were following.

You never know what folks are going to do. I had someone get enraged with me, once, while driving. He was in a jacked up pickup truck and followed me around at a distance through neighborhoods. I drover over to an area with many shorter blocks and cross streets/alleys, then proceeded to lose him as he turned left but I went right & around. Who knows what he was jacked up on, or what he was planning. Had he done anything more than tailgate, I'd have used the bumper and throttle to great effect if needed. Depends on the situation, of course, and the degree to which the other guy is escalating things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    How close were you driving? Especially if you were driving too close in a car or truck higher than theirs it might seem you were blinding them. But that still does not call for a U turn in front of you. Thats a red flag to me.

Not A Good Situation...

to be in...other drivers swearing and giving 'finger signs' are one thing, but the dangerous driving goes over the line. I have had people produce that 'rage' behind the wheel...could have been because of a mistake I made...maybe not, either way...I try to 'mouth' "I'm sorry!" or wave an apology.

I have been dead right...but still tried to apologize. I would rather de-escalate the situation, than start an arguement and look like I was 'starting' an 'incident'. I have been fortunate enough that angry people usually discontinue the 'rant' and drive away for theit next encounter (being the A..H....'s they are...they can find another problem very quickly).

I always have my weapon...if someone gives me no other alternative...but it is my last choice!

I never want to 'settle the score'...(I sometimes feel like I would like to...but age and experience has taught me to let it go!)

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    sounds ok. good to have you gun either secured or better yet in a holster on you in case a traffic accident happens.
    Otherwise you may be fumbling on the floor trying to retrieve your gun , when you could be exiting or other action.
    De escalating the situation is a good thing and it sounds as if you did well , changing vehicles .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thumbs up

Who knows why people do what they do, or what they might do next?

You can only try to avoid confrontation and be prepared to deal with it if need be. I think you did fine.

As far as putting your gun in the seat or in your lap, I have done it many times. Not for the same reason, but I have done it when I felt that danger was present.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

As Rocky said, I don't think putting the gun on your lap is a good idea. If this escalates to a collision, the gun's going to go flying and you'll be (at least temporarily) unarmed. Part of the reason the Miami Shootout went so badly for the FBI was that two agents lost their weapons in the car crash. Better to keep the gun in a secure spot where you can access it if you need it.

Some vehicles have abnormally bright headlights, tis just a factory flaw, and they thought you had em on when you did not. I use to have a car like that and it really PO'd off a lot of people on a regular basis. Meanwhile good job of keeping your cool, some of the nut cases that thought I was blinding them were real a holes.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by tacomaoffroader
    My friend asked me if my brights were on I said "nope not @ all" So we're trying to figure out why he pulled over and then u-turned in front of us (being as there was plenty of room behind us.)
    Something to think about is that if your truck is lifted your lights are more than likely aimed high due to the fact that they sit higher then they used to. When I lifted my jeep I actually took the effort and spent the time to readjust the lights so that not only they don't blind others but also they become more usefull to me (if they're aimed high your "lit area" is wrong).

What do ya'll think, did I react right, what could I have done better.
    Dial 911 on your cell phone and start driving towards the nearest police station. DO NOT GO HOME if someone is following you.

Thanks for the info guys
    I would hate to have my vehicle out of commision
    True, but I've got steel off-road bumpers that have taken plenty of damage, but yes the best thing is to drive around.
    If I had to ram a vehicle I'd rather do it in that truck than anything else.

DO NOT GO HOME if someone is following you.
    Yeah I actually pulled over and turned my lights off and sat for a bit in some shade and waited to see if anybody was following me during the drive to my friends house, and after I dropped him off so I was 90% certain somebody wasn't following me.

Something to think about is that if your truck is lifted your lights are more than likely aimed high due to the fact that they sit higher then they used to. When I lifted my jeep I actually took the effort and spent the time to readjust the lights so that not only they don't blind others
    True, I do have a 3" lift but haven't ever noticed anybody flash their brights @ me, or do anything like that. My guess is his mirror was tilted at an angle to where my headlights were shining right at him; hell his car may have been lowered a bit for all I know.

good to have you gun either secured or better yet in a holster on you in case a traffic accident happens.
    Yeah, I had taken my normal carry off when I went home because I was sitting around w/ my friend watching some movies and it's uncomfortable sitting on the couch; plus I don't like the idea of my roommates finding out I own a gun in the Apt. They're anti's. But if I would have been going to the store before taking my friend home I would have strapped up.

Again, thanks for the input guys!
    Much appriciated!

I would have called him in as a possible driver under the influence. You saw what he was driving, and he was driving in a not safe manner.

Cops could have found him, and atleast made his night.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Something similar is what made me decide to start carrying a pistol.

I don't know what set this guy off. Traffic wasn't moving. It was typical Atlanta rush hour. For some reason this car pulls from a couple of cars behind me onto the turn lane and stops. Out steps the biggest black dude I think I've ever seen and he walks, actually stalks, up to my car screaming at me the whole way.

He was saying things like "Do you know who I am? Do you know who you're ****ing with? I'm gonna kill you you white mother ....!" and a lot of similar stuff. Really, he was damn near foaming at the mouth!

I saw him coming and had opened my center console slightly and put my right hand inside my jacket, but I did not have a gun! As he continued his tirade, he noticed the concealed right hand and my calm demeanor (little did he know I was about to piss my pants) and he slowed down. A very short time later, he went back to his car still screaming threats.

To this day I have no idea what set him off but am convinced if he didn't think I had a gun, he would have done me some serious harm. He was in his 20s and I'm in my 60s, he was twice my size and in far better condition. Not a fair fight. Not even close...

A lot of professional athletes live in this area and this guy looked like a NFL lineman. He could have been. He was big enough, young enough and looked to be in very good condition. The encounter really did shake me up. Enough that the next day I bought a .357 revolver and I've carried it in the car religously ever since. I now have a CCW so I can carry on my person, which I do every time I leave the house. Now, I also have several additional pistols, much to my wife's dismay...

You never know what kind of crazies you're gonna meet up with! That could have happened to anyone. The incident could have ended a lot worse (for me) than it did. Hopefully, I'll never have need of a gun, but I promise you I'll never be without one.

tacomaoffroader-

Could have been a case of mistaken ID....he thought you were someone else, did the U turn around you to get a look. Would be a bummer to get shot for someone else!

Someone acting like that....RUN THE RED LIGHT!!!! Do not give them a sitting target. And just hope a cop does see you do it!

When driving at night I never drive up to a red light and stop; when I see it turn red I take my foot off the gas and start coasting, I'll brake slightly just to have the light turn green before I get there.

I agree with some of the others, leave the gun where it is secure, won't fly around the cab with an impact, center console is not that hard to get to. My Ford has the 40-20-40 split front bench (each side adjusts; center 20% is fixed) when traveling I like to stick my Para-Ord P-14 in the crack between my seat and the center section, in a clip on type nylon IWB that is inside and clipped to the looped center seat belt. That way it stays right at my right knee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links