Looking at the world differently

This is a discussion on Looking at the world differently within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my ccw for about a week now. It is amazing to me how most things are different. Yes my every day life still ...

Like Tree27Likes
  • 10 Post By CamoMama
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 10 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By CamoMama
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By Blue Thunder
  • 1 Post By jackson85746

Thread: Looking at the world differently

Looking at the world differently

I've had my ccw for about a week now. It is amazing to me how most things are different. Yes my every day life still follows the same pattern but my mindset is completely different. It is a great thing I must admit. I've always been fairly observant. As a mom it's my job to keep an eye on possible dangers, whether it be a person or animal or any other threat.

Now though, my defensive thinking is on steroids. Thoughts more towards exit strategies if needed and locating areas that would make good cover. Of course, I hope to never need to use any of it, but it's good to have a plan.

In September the women of my church are going to a large convention. We were even talking on Sunday about where we can carry in the big city and how to do so legally. It means making a couple of changes to our plan, but it's perfectly fine by me.

Thanks for the thought provoking posts. I'm mostly a lurker, not a poster, but I'm always learning more thanks to you all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    My hope and prayer is that everyone know and love our country for what she really is and what she stands for.
    ― John Wayne

2. Remove Ads

A couple of books might help with the thought processes, evaluating the different scenarios/situations:

• In The Gravest Extreme, by Ayoob
    • The Truth About Self Protection, by Ayoob
    • The Gift of Fear, by De Becker

It's good to be raising the situational awareness, thinking through the possibilities, evaluating whether you've got exits or options available to you if things go sideways. If only more folks would do this continually, and more would carry the means of their own self-defense, we'd be a far safer society IMO.

Congratulations on your new responsibilities!
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Welcome to the lifestyle.

Hopefully your increased situational awareness becomes second nature.

Thanks ccw9mm! I'll look into those.

My hope and prayer is that everyone know and love our country for what she really is and what she stands for.
    ― John Wayne

VIP Member
    Welcome to the world of concealed carry. Keep your situational awareness up and continue to be observant. The best advice I can give is learn to avoid the dangerous situations but be ever vigilant for when the SHTF!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Situational awareness is critical!

Phaedrus, novaX522, OD* and 7 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Uncertain what your background is with defensive weapons and basic tactics, but you might want to invest in a simple "blue gun" (training gun) and similar training knife (or two). You can then work through various situations with a buddy or two when you're "armed" and need to deal with what's happening. It ain't all peaches and cream, merely being armed. It's potentially disastrous if you're forcibly disarmed, 'cause then your assailant has your own weapon and you're much less likely to stop what's happening. Work on retention skills, disarm skills.

Keep in mind that effective defense has practically nothing to do with a gun, as such; it's about awareness of people and surroundings, avoiding traps and ugly situations, allowing for exits/options, having good people skills, having the ability to keep a potential assailant at some distance, having the ability to go hands-on effectively as needed (ie, if being grappled with, assaulted, finding someone attempting to take your weapon). With another couple folks helping you with the force-on-force training, you can learn a lot about where the holes in your thinking and preparations are. If able, get as much competent training as you can afford. It can be an eye-opener and well worth it.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It is so funny that you mention this. I am the Colorado state coordinator for 1 Million Moms Against Gun Control (1mmagc.org) and we are trying to get a women's defensive class scheduled sometime soon. The ladies that I work with want to be able to defend themselves, and their children, at all times, any way possible.

Betty likes this.
    ― John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by CamoMama View Post
    It is so funny that you mention this. I am the Colorado state coordinator for 1 Million Moms Against Gun Control (1mmagc.org) and we are trying to get a women's defensive class scheduled sometime soon. The ladies that I work with want to be able to defend themselves, and their children, at all times, any way possible.
    Great idea.

You've got John Farnam's DTI just up the road, in LaPorte (Fort Collins area).

A general defensive course would be highly informative, and all the better if force-on-force oriented. Remember, a deadly force implement (gun, knife) is only for use at gravest extreme. But defense is much broader than merely that. It involves awareness of our surroundings, people skills, evaluating fluid situations, being aware of exits, having a plan and options, changing those plans as situations change, understanding our limitations, focusing on our weaknesses to improve them, being capable at retention of our weapons as well as disarming others of theirs, etc.

I'm sure any of the county sheriffs would also be knowledgeable about what sort of training options exist nearby, along these lines. Might be a good resource, at least for tracking down the sort of training course that would be most suitable, if you find it hard to identify ones yourself. The DTI/Farnam group might be a good place to start.
    Blue Thunder and CamoMama like this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by CamoMama View Post

If you need any help at all, count me in..Grats on the Carry permit and your senses being awakened....
    CamoMama likes this.

John Farnum is a great trainer and teacher. I was in one of his classes at the Polite Society Tactical Match in Memphis in March this year. He came over to one of the seating areas at lunch and asked "Do you mind if I sit here?", I responded only if I can pick your brain while we eat! I also placed 20 positions higher than he did at the Mystery Match which all got to shoot. I placed 35 places behind Mas Ayoob.
    CamoMama likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Thanks everyone! I'll update you as soon as there's something to report. :)

― John Wayne

Good on ya Mama........God, Bibles, and Guns. You'll be just fine.
    CamoMama likes this.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Links