just curious if you carry while hunting

This is a discussion on just curious if you carry while hunting within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the only time i think open carry is a good thing is when your hunting or out in the wilderness. while i hunt or just ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: just curious if you carry while hunting

the only time i think open carry is a good thing is when your hunting or out in the wilderness. while i hunt or just out in the wilderness i open carry my .45 in a fobus paddle holster at the 3 o'clock just wondering about others
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

Twenty five plus years ago whenever I was out in the woods say 15-20 miles from town I would OC my 357s in shoulder rigs mostly as that was the most comfy. I had my CC back then and would sometimes have my bug under my coat or vest in a cross draw rig on my belt. I would seldom see someone unarmed. I never had cause for concern from someone running away from me crying he's got a GUN!! Back then no one knew what a cell phone was.

Even when I was going to Rendezvous I always took at least 2 modern handguns with me. Just cuz. Ain't no way I wanna draw an empty .36cal Sheriffs model on a possible BG. And that's a fact Jack!
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

well i don't really like cc out in the wilderness oc is much faster for me but a bug isn't a bad idea just wear to much junk while im in the woods plus ive got a high powered rifle or shotgun
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

Distinguished Member
    Always. 357 or 45 cross draw so I don't beat my rifle stock while carrying strong side. I've tried the bug as well but walking and climbing in the woods is exercise enough without carrying an arsenal.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by rawdawg1217 View Post
    well i don't really like cc out in the wilderness oc is much faster for me but a bug isn't a bad idea just wear to much junk while im in the woods plus ive got a high powered rifle or shotgun
    Well OP I was young and dumb back then. I wasn't hunting. I also did not wear orange either. Usually I'd have my 10-22 or fave 12G with me w/o a sling on either. I've smarted up a tad since. Then again I don't get in the woods much since urban sprawl basically wiped out the woods here.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    In the past I have carried a S&W Model 19 in a OWB holster, but it got a bit more rubs, scratches, and "hung-up in briars", than I cared for. So here is my new chest rig to try for hunting next year, also bumped it up to .44 mag.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ppkheat; April 29th, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
    wmhawth and Nix like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    Nice looking rig! I finally went with a Simply Rugged pancake for my Mod 19. Cross draw it rides high and tight. But I get the briars and vines issue. For me the jury is still out as far as the chest rig that can be had from Simply Rugged. Its a possible.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I went turkey hunting Saturday and I had my S&W 442 in my pocket.

For the most part, if I have pants on I've got a gun in my right front pocket.

VIP Member
    Ohio hunters are prohibited from carrying a handgun while hunting, except for those with a concealed carry permit. General Ohio Hunting Information
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Almost anytime I head out into the wilderness archery hunting I carry. Not usually when rifle hunting. Either a G20 in a custom kydex holster, a S&W 629, or S&W 686+. Revolvers go in a Desantis pancake holster. I used to carry an M&P 9mm, but I scratched that idea when I had a mama black bear less than ten feet away when sitting on the ground (felt like a 9 would've just made her more mad). I also had a cub climb the tree I was in once and all I had was a bow.

Lead Moderator
    Yup, luckily MI specifically recognizes right to carry with a permit , even bow hunting and such. Yes I carry.
    oneshot likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    When I hunted, yes .357 at the hip all the time.

I mostly hunt with a handgun, so yeah. But when I use a rifle, I never pack around extra weight.

During archery season I will pack a little something for the " just in case" scenarios.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Nice looking rig! I finally went with a Simply Rugged pancake for my Mod 19. Cross draw it rides high and tight. But I get the briars and vines issue. For me the jury is still out as far as the chest rig that can be had from Simply Rugged. Its a possible.
    Thanks. Mine is from Diamond D in Alaska, apparantly they make a lot of chest rigs. They said to expect a 4 week wait, I believe I got it within 2 weeks. I won't know how much I like it until I use it a bit, I will say that you'll need to initially tweak the adjustments built in it so it hangs and fits right.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I always carry a gun when I go hunting. Ever since I outgrew the slingshot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links