I Ran Away

This is a discussion on I Ran Away within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I wanted to talk about a situation I encountered this past Sunday. My ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: I Ran Away

Unhappy I Ran Away

I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I wanted to talk about a situation I encountered this past Sunday.

My my wife, myself and my mother-in-law were returning from church, and driving toward where we were going to go shopping. I was coming to a light that just turned green and I realized that I was in the wrong lane. I had some speed and those in the other lane were stopped, so I figured I'd just cruise around the right, and merge back into the left lane so I could go straight. I swung out and gave it a little gas, and the guy in the left hand lane, knowing what I wanted to do, punched it.

So I dropped back figuring that I would have to wait until someone let me in, when the guy swung into my lane in front of me and slammed on the brakes. He slowed to a crawl and I stayed well behind him until he stopped on a two lane section of the street. I stopped behind him and waited for him to start moving again. He was staring at me in the rear view mirror and gesturing at me. I figured he was waiting to see which way I was going to signal to turn, so I didn't signal. I just waited. He headed at a crawl through the intersection, and I saw my chance. I flipped on my directional signal and swung a hard left. The dirtbag actually tried to back up, but there was someone who slipped in behind him (who was behind me).

I quickly went down two street and headed parallel to the street I'd been on, and I slowly continued onto my destination. As always, I was armed, and had he had me bracketed, I would have had to make a decision. We were two blocks from our local police station, so I'm figuring the guy had to be high on something, or be mentally ill.

So I ran away and got out of a situation that could have turned really ugly for what I could fathom was no reason.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

We were two blocks from our local police station, so I'm figuring the guy had to be high on something, or be mentally ill.
    Or he wasn't aware that he was two blocks from the local police station.

Perfectly sober and not "mentally ill" people can have road rage issues too. He could of just had a rough day and it was the straw that broke the camels back, etc.

Not defending the guy here, just wanted to point these things out.

Glad you and yours got away safely and without incident.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Some drivers are just out looking for trouble. Good you out smarted the guy.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Good call. Your Sunday would have went a lot different had you spent it in a holding cell, or worse yet, a body bag.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    The best option overall in such a situation. Well played.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

You didn't run away. You avoided a conflict. Good on you!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I wanted to talk about a situation I encountered this past Sunday.

My my wife, myself and my mother-in-law were returning from church, and driving toward where we were going to go shopping. I was coming to a light that just turned green and I realized that I was in the wrong lane. I had some speed and those in the other lane were stopped, so I figured I'd just cruise around the right, and merge back into the left lane so I could go straight. I swung out and gave it a little gas, and the guy in the left hand lane, knowing what I wanted to do, punched it.

So I dropped back figuring that I would have to wait until someone let me in, when the guy swung into my lane in front of me and slammed on the brakes. He slowed to a crawl and I stayed well behind him until he stopped on a two lane section of the street. I stopped behind him and waited for him to start moving again. He was staring at me in the rear view mirror and gesturing at me. I figured he was waiting to see which way I was going to signal to turn, so I didn't signal. I just waited. He headed at a crawl through the intersection, and I saw my chance. I flipped on my directional signal and swung a hard left. The dirtbag actually tried to back up, but there was someone who slipped in behind him (who was behind me).

I quickly went down two street and headed parallel to the street I'd been on, and I slowly continued onto my destination. As always, I was armed, and had he had me bracketed, I would have had to make a decision. We were two blocks from our local police station, so I'm figuring the guy had to be high on something, or be mentally ill.

So I ran away and got out of a situation that could have turned really ugly for what I could fathom was no reason.
    Or if I am understanding the story correctly, he may have just been very angry at whoever it was that cut around him on the right.

I had a guy do that to me one time and cause an accident. He then stood there trying to explain to the cop how it was my fault because I had tinted windows. The cop of course would have none of it. Ticket issued. Insurance collected.

Anyway, good job keeping your cool after it started getting hot.
    NONAME762 and tcox4freedom like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    The best option overall in such a situation. Well played.
    This^^^^. You win the fight by not being there.

VIP Member
    I think the title and the sad face are a misnomer. How about " I avoided a pointless conflict"
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

...proud of ya!!!excellent choice...hope it didn't make y'all late for lunch...
    Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post

You were very smart...road rage incidents can get out of hand very quickly, and when the dust settles, who was the aggressor ? Besides, you had family members in your car...not the time to splash testosterone around.

Agreed on the conflict avoidance, and sounds like the story has the best possible ending.

Distinguished Member
    As is said so often here, the best conflict is the one that doesn't happen. Nothing to be ashamed of, you did the right thing given the circumstances.

Sounds like you did quite well. I try to be patient with drivers because you never know why they do what they do, honest mistake being in the wrong lane, or looking to ruin someone's day/life. Well done.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

A situation that is avoided is better than any other possible outcome...especially with your family in the car.

Idiots are everywhere, and some of them are just looking for opportunities to publicly display their idioticness. Just remember that when dealing with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links