Got close today

Got close today

This is a discussion on Got close today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was working a job site in a tough area of town. Bars on the windows, iron gates sort of place. I was alone on ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Got close today

Got close today

I was working a job site in a tough area of town. Bars on the windows, iron gates sort of place. I was alone on the job site, behind a locked fence. It's a 16 unit apartment complex I'm currently renovating. The carpenters were in and out all day, so I heard a couple voices outside when I was working in the unit. I went outside to confirm it was in fact the carpenters and not some people who shouldn't be there. Turns out it was 3 guys, visably drunk. I stepped out of the unit and one of them approached me, and started asking innocent enough questions. Things like what are you guys doing here, and when is it going to be done. Then his two friends came up as well.

The first guy was standing directly in front of me but, I noticed the other two were starting to circle me. I had the complex on my left, so I casually put my back against the wall, and squared my shoulders up to the other two. We talked for a few min, me watching their hands the entire time. Then the one most on my side said " give me a dollar" I said I don't have a dollar" He replied " how about a quarter" I said I don't carry any money sorry, still politely. He then said " you're gonna give me some (curse) money" I raised my shirt and exposed my EDC. I then said " I don't think that would be in your best interest" They then left.

What I learned from this. I didn't feel under gunned with my P238. I did wish I had an extra mag though. I was thinking the entire time if I have to its draw safety down then fire. It's a good thing I put my back to the wall, I'm positive I would have been hit from behind otherwise.

What I did wrong, I should have not let them get as close as I did.

I'm sure some will say I shouldn't have exposed my firearm at all unless I was going to draw. I personally feel if my firearm clears the holster, it's fire time. When I decide it comes out, I have already decided to fire. I think I handled it well, and I called my uncle who's a cop in the city and he will be stopping by tomorrow. I'll be at the same job. Hopefully the police presence will deter any future activities.
    Snub44, Sister, Oldpsufan and 4 others like this.

I like how you handled yourself; however, I'm not experienced so I would also like to know what the pros here think about you exposing your gun to scare them off.

Did the guys just turn around and walk away or did they say something first? Did they look visibly scared?

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    good thing you didnt have to proceed any further than you did. everyone will have their own way of handling different situations. you did what you thought was right and it worked. i think you handled it good. the important thing is that you're safe and that you learned something from the experience.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Thumbs up
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

In the situation as you explained it, I probably could have done the same thing...no fault there, but I would not have engaged those three guys where they clearly had no business being.
    When it comes to strangers approaching, I get mighty unfriendly, rude, and very loud. Then if they are still foolish enough to approach, it's action time. So far, I've only had people walking away and mumbling something about me being a grumpy old man...which I CAN be...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Any time you expose your weapon, be ready to be the first person--from that encounter--to dial the police and explain what just happened. If those inebriated citizens had the presence of mind to phone the police and create the illusion that they were threatened by a "man with a gun" and that it was absolutely unprovoked, their version may have prevailed, unless you had witnesses to support your side of the story.

Do not trust the "good intentions" of strangers--especially when they have walked you up to the brink of an unpleasant encounter.
    F350_6, Snub44, Jemsaal and 6 others like this.

I would have drawn. Say what you want, the minute he attempted to intimidate me with a threat I would have drawn while you were showing, another could have drawn. If your gonna take, take em by surprise. By his action and verbage alone he implied a serious threat that he would take something from me by force, at which point I will assume he has a weapon. Glad it went safely.
    ConcealedinPA and USM1976 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    It would be easy for someone to say could have should have,especially,if they weren't there.Sounds like exposing it wasn't a bad idea at all.You exposed,nothing else happened and they left.End of story.
    Taurahe likes this.

VIP Member
    Apply what you learned today tomorrow. Try to work with someone as well. Two are less vulnerable than one.

And if those same guys are back tomorrow, call the police and get ready.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    Any time you expose your weapon, be ready to be the first person--from that encounter--to dial the police and explain what just happened. If those inebriated citizens had the presence of mind to phone the police and create the illusion that they were threatened by a "man with a gun" and that it was absolutely unprovoked, their version may have prevailed, unless you had witnesses to support your side of the story.

Do not trust the "good intentions" of strangers--especially when they have walked you up to the brink of an unpleasant encounter.
    I didn't do it right away, and I probably should have. It would have been real difficult for them to play that card though. As I said I was behind two locked gates, in a completely fenced in area. Also, I had a reason to be there which is easily proven. Any cop with common sense would have sided with me, the sober guy just doing his job. As I didn't draw or discharge the weapon I would have most likely gotten a talking to about what you just said, calling and reporting the encounter.

For me, when he said, "you're gonna give me some blanking money" I would have drawn in the low ready position and said, "I'm gonna give you something, alright...something you don't want."

By showing the gun, the three of them could have charged you before you had a chance to clear leather, raise the gun, and fired.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Good job!
    USM1976 likes this.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In the situation as you explained it, I probably could have done the same thing...no fault there, but I would not have engaged those three guys where they clearly had no business being.
    When it comes to strangers approaching, I get mighty unfriendly, rude, and very loud. Then if they are still foolish enough to approach, it's action time. So far, I've only had people walking away and mumbling something about me being a grumpy old man...which I CAN be...
    The major reason I didn't was because I heard them for a few min before going outside. I was worried they were carrying off some of my expensive tools. I know I shouldn't worry about property until after its gone it just was my first instinct.

If I see them again tomorrow I will warn them far off, and draw if they continue to approach.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    The way I see this is you walked away safe and sound and they learned a very valuable lesson the world is changing and people are taking the responsibility to protect themselves.

I don't know if you have a requirement to reort this to the police or not. I would be interested in hearing from the leo side on that. Or the prosecutors if we have any on the board.

It worked out ok for you so nothing more to say. I think I would have called the police after the incident so there would be a record from the good guy, just in case they decided to report you. The other question I have is why did you step outside of the unit. Why not call the police from inside the unit if you saw that 3 visibly drunk guys were outside and did not belong there?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links