My son's SA saves me from copperhead

My son's SA saves me from copperhead

This is a discussion on My son's SA saves me from copperhead within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son noticed this copperhead on our porch before I did and if he hadn't, it might have gotten me on my way to take ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: My son's SA saves me from copperhead

Cool My son's SA saves me from copperhead

My son noticed this copperhead on our porch before I did and if he hadn't, it might have gotten me on my way to take the trash. Nothing a little buckshot couldn't take care of, though!

snake3.jpgsnake1.jpg

bmcgilvray, GhostMaker and grouse like this.

That's the best thing about living here...........no snakes. Too many in previous lives.

Glad you're all OK! I think ya'll should of shot it three of four more times though, just to make sure.
    perfection likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I reckon you won't be making a new Hat Band will ya?
    perfection and QKShooter like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Sad. I keep snakes. That thing could have been relocated to a more remote location and served it's purpose in controlling the rat population.
    Taurahe, atctimmy, Hodad and 4 others like this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    Sad. I keep snakes. That thing could have been relocated to a more remote location and served it's purpose in controlling the rat population.
    LOL. Are you serious? If you are, how would I go about doing that? Not all of us have snake handling/charming skills, lol...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    That's the best thing about living here...........no snakes. Too many in previous lives.

Glad you're all OK! I think ya'll should of shot it three of four more times though, just to make sure.
    Same here! We don't have poisonous snakes in W. WA.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Rock and Glock, Where in Colorado do you live that has no snakes? I live in Colorado and believe me, there are snakes !!!

VIP Member
    Good job. I know from personal experience what a copperhead bite is like; the one that got me was a huge monster measuring all of 10 inches long. When they say a snake bite causes immediate intense pain that is an understatement, it felt more like someone dropped an anvil an my finger then put it in a pot of boiling water. It was nice when I got to the hospital, when I told the triage nurse I had been bitten by a copperhead and she saw my finger was already swollen to twice its size and was blue she told me I did not have to wait and I could go on back. After the forth shot of morphine I did start to feel much better. I was lucky in that I did not need any antivenin just antibiotics and pain meds. It did take two months to heal and this is what the finger looks like now.

IMG_0941.JPG IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0943.JPG
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Reminds me of "you think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Yikes, Msgt!

I hate poisonous snakes. Rat & black snakes may occasionally get a pass from me, but I make it a mission to zap the venom spewers.

Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    LOL. Are you serious? If you are, how would I go about doing that? Not all of us have snake handling/charming skills, lol...
    Well, I would have caught it with a snake stick and a rubbermade bin. You could have called a professional. Listen, I am not ragging on you for it. They aren't endangered, It just bums me out. I like snakes.
    Taurahe and perfection like this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Good job. I know from personal experience what a copperhead bite is like; the one that got me was a huge monster measuring all of 10 inches long. When they say a snake bite causes immediate intense pain that is an understatement, it felt more like someone dropped an anvil an my finger then put it in a pot of boiling water. It was nice when I got to the hospital, when I told the triage nurse I had been bitten by a copperhead and she saw my finger was already swollen to twice its size and was blue she told me I did not have to wait and I could go on back. After the forth shot of morphine I did start to feel much better. I was lucky in that I did not need any antivenin just antibiotics and pain meds. It did take two months to heal and this is what the finger looks like now.
    Wow!

A few years back I was deer hunting our favorite property in northwestern Connecticut. After a morning in tree stands we came out to lunch and snooze by a line of large rocks. After an appropriate rest we stood up to stretch before heading back to out stands, and I looked down on my heavily-booted foot... there was a juvenile copperhead crawling over the toe of my boot! And "common knowledge" was that timber rattlers were the only poisonous snakes in CT, but this 8-10 incher was undoubtedly a copperhead. When I moved my foot he scurried off into a hoed, but based on your report I'm sure glad he didn't bite!
    perfection and QKShooter like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Copperheads are really pretty snakes. Sometimes they are vividly varigated copper in color.

I too kill poisonous snakes any time they're encountered on our place. I figure any poisonous snake taken out of circulation means there will no prodigy to bite family members, the dog, or me in future. The non-poisonous ones are left alone. We have rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes, and water moccasins. Of the four the moccasins are most detested.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Something surprising is that it took two months for my wound to heal but copperheads have bitten two of our dogs and they healed in about five days with no tissue damage or lasting effects.
    Rock and Glock and QKShooter like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Copperheads are really pretty snakes. Sometimes they are vividly varigated copper in color.

I too kill poisonous snakes any time they're encountered on our place. I figure any poisonous snake taken out of circulation means there will no prodigy to bite family members, the dog, or me in future. The non-poisonous ones are left alone. We have rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes, and water moccasins. Of the four the moccasins are most detested.

Why are Moccasins the worst?
    perfection likes this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links