A creepy late evening walk (5-14-13) @ 11:30 PM (approx.)

This is a discussion on A creepy late evening walk (5-14-13) @ 11:30 PM (approx.) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello From NH I am a 24 year old Marine Engineer, contractor for the USN. I have been carrying for about 4 Months now. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: A creepy late evening walk (5-14-13) @ 11:30 PM (approx.)

A creepy late evening walk (5-14-13) @ 11:30 PM (approx.)

Hello From NH

I am a 24 year old Marine Engineer, contractor for the USN. I have been carrying for about 4 Months now.

I concealed carry a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact when out on the streets and open carry a Glock 17 when hunting.

I would like to include a story from yesterday evening (5-14-13) in my first post.

My wife, myself and 3 (male) friends all went out to the local Applebee's for some appitizers and drinks (I of course just drank water) and afterwards we decided that we would like to go for a short walk after the greasy food.

Theres a walking path that was converted from the old railroad bed in my town, and thats where we decided to walk. Its about 11:30 PM at this point, so I pulled out my 5 mode ultrafire WF-502B (cheapie but goodie).

At one point on the path one of the old railroad trusses has been converted to a walking bridge that crosses over the river, well theres also stairs that go down below this bridge, a couple of our friends had never seen down there before so we decided to go down for a moment. With my ultrafire on high, lighting wasnt an issue.

while we were down there we heard a loud bang (like a hammer on soft wood). We couldn't tell where it came from so we decided to go back up to the path and move on. As we were walking up the stairs we hear a male voice yell "I'll kill you... followed by running footsteps across the bridge. When we got to the top and started across the bridge my flashlight beam lit up two figures less than 30 feet from us standing, facing one another inches apart like statues. The one facing us had some blood on his forehead and had a menacing look on his face. -->

I kept the light on them and as we walked by the man facing us didnt even blink, admittedly my strong hand was rested on my hip the whole time we walked by. Once we were across the bridge I looked back and the figures were both walking toward us. Just beyond the bridge the path opens up into a large well lit parking lot in the center of town, once we entered the lot they stopped following us but we could hear slow and deep whistling coming from the darkness behind us. Pretty freaky. I never called the police because they were pretty young looking (between the ages of 17 and 20 or so) and I just figured they were trying to mess with us.

I am the only person in that group that carries, and in a sense I'm glad because I'm not sure how any of the others may have reacted if they were armed like I was. My wife was definiteley freaked out.

We took an odd way back to my house and made sure we werent followed.

what do you guys think about it? what would you have done?

2. Remove Ads

Called the cops from a distance. I would have not gone near them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    mano3 likes this.

Two of them, and five of you and you had your hand on your gun?? I assume that you and your 3 male friends could handle two teenagers. Remember, the gun is the last resort. Outside of that, I am glad nothing happened. Be safe...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Two of them, and five of you and you had your hand on your gun?? I assume that you and your 3 male friends could handle two teenagers. Remember, the gun is the last resort. Outside of that, I am glad nothing happened. Be safe...
    I agree. Why do you think your friends would have reacted more inappropriatley than you did?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

This is why I'm glad I posted the story, because you guys pick out everything wrong with my reaction. The adrenaline was pumping due to being unaware of what was going on, I didnt even think about their age until after the fact and they were pretty big guys, so in the heat of the moment I guess just knowing that the firearm was there calmed my nerves. I had zero intention to draw it. thought didnt even cross my mind.

As for my friends, I trust them to react properly. I was simply stating that you never know. I can't really save face on that one.

From the way you describe it, it sounds like you did the right thing. You quickly assessed a potential threat and removed yourself from the situation. As for calling the cops, I'd say that's probably a judgment call. Did they ever overtly threaten you (as opposed to appear threatening)? Did you suspect some sort of violence occurred prior to your seeing the two guys? You may have surprised them as much as they surprised you. Remember too that you had a light shining in their eyes, so they may have been a bit freaked by that.

You imply they were following you, but maybe they were on their way back to the parking lot?

I'm not trying to second guess what you did, since I only have a sketchy understanding based on the scenario you presented, just adding some alternative explanations. I think you were 100% right to go into the yellow zone. My only real critique would be the decision to head out onto a trail at 1130 at night.

My only real suggestion would be to stay in well lit public areas when you decide to go for strolls near midnight ;)You would have completely avoided the situation altogethor.
    mr.stuart, mano3 and Hopyard like this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hmmm. 11:30 PM and you and others are "taking a walk" on an old railroad bed walking path. should I repeat what I just said or is the light bulb on? How about something called "situational awareness"?

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Glad you're safe but you obviously violated the third 'S' rule 'stupid places'.

IMO, you should never proceed into a situation relying on the fact that you are armed. You should behave politely and as if you are not armed (no bluster, iow). By shining the light on this person it could be construed as provocative. Could you have gone back the way you came? If you were not armed would you have gone back to check or scurried off? If the latter, then, in retrospect, that's what you should have done.
    .45acpguy and MrsHB like this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I may have done same thing except after seeing blood and clear of area 911 would have been my next move, hate to read paper and see man died down on the old pathway but again I hate trying to be a monday morning qback

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Hand rested on his hip, by the description. No indication of hand on gun, or drawing.

If merely coming near other folks who appear a bit angry, heated, that's one thing. But after hearing the specific phrase "I'll kill you" and the bloody-headed guy, there's a bit more reason for circumspection. IMO, if the "resting on hip" would have aided a faster draw if it became necessary to draw, then I'd say for that moment it was a justified preparation for doing so (similar, say, to flipping the thumb guard off a holster, or pulling out the shirt in prep for a draw that might be needed).

=====

Uncertain whether walking by these two was necessary, whether there was another path. Of course, there aren't always alternatives, particularly along train tracks.

Does sound a little like those guys dropped their "beef" with one another to tail your group. Or, they simply realized you all appeared a bit freaked and wanted to goose you, some, for jollies. Hard to say.

About the only other thing would be to have called police to report the "I'll kill you" remark, bloody guy and the following of your group. Perhaps it was all nothing, but perhaps these two were known "toughs" in the area they'd want to know about. (As in, "Oh, that's just 'crazy Bobby' off his meds, again, he won't bite strangers," or even "Yeah, sounds like Dufus and Rufus at each others' throats, after the feud died down last year; we'll handle it, sir.") Ya never know.

Overall I'd say you did just fine. In those circumstances, I likely would have done much the same.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree that we chose a bad place to walk at such a time but I live in southern NH not Chicago

I think you should have simply dropped the paranoia level down about 10 notches, said "hello, hope we didn't disturb you" ... and walked on like nothing was abnormal at all ....... while always being ready for anything. Are you so niave that you don't know that walking paths, railroad trusses, etc. are areas that the homeless use and travel too ..... along with a few paranoid folks who have schizophrenia and a host of other mental issues ? Really ? And most of them won't want you disturbing them that late at night... especially if they are drunk, doing some drugs, or trying to settle in for the night, or .... in fear themselves of any outsiders who's intent they don't know.

Geez.... sounds like you have lived a very sheltered life and don't realize a lot of things going out in the real world, outside the little safe haven of your house. Sorry, but that's how it comes across to me.

I'll go anywhere , any time, for whatever reason and of course I will run into, meet, encounter every type of person from all kinds of walks, attitudes, and circumstance...... and as long as I've followed one rule I have had few problems.... that "all people" .... deserve respect no matter what their condition or circumstance.... they aren't to be feared.... and you treat everyone they way you want them to treat you, and you'll usually get it back.

I'm sure you were transmitting / communicating your fear , and how would you feel if someone walked into your house .... and then acted suspicious of you, everything you did, staring at you, and acted as if they were afraid of you ? Obviously you were outside your comfort zone, didn't know how to handle it, and had your "feelies" up as a result.

I'm a late nighter... not an early riser, and the "night" doesn't bother me at all ..... I don't look for the bogeyman to jump out from behind a tree, but if he does... it will probably end up a bad day for him.

the world is not Nickelodeon.
    BadgerJ likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Here's how I see it. You were walking with a group. You see two people with a conflict of some sort. You don't know the nature of the conflict. More significantly, you don't have a dog in the fight. Keep walking. Call 911? What for? They were leaving you alone. Why not leave them alone? And as far as your gun, this sounds like one of those instances where a pair of legs is worth more than a gun.
    BadgerJ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I think you should have simply dropped the paranoia level down about 10 notches, said "hello, hope we didn't disturb you" ... and walked on like nothing was abnormal at all ....... while always being ready for anything. Are you so niave that you don't know that walking paths, railroad trusses, etc. are areas that the homeless use and travel too ..... along with a few paranoid folks who have schizophrenia and a host of other mental issues ? Really ? And most of them won't want you disturbing them that late at night... especially if they are drunk, doing some drugs, or trying to settle in for the night, or .... in fear themselves of any outsiders who's intent they don't know.

Geez.... sounds like you have lived a very sheltered life and don't realize a lot of things going out in the real world, outside the little safe haven of your house. Sorry, but that's how it comes across to me.

I'll go anywhere , any time, for whatever reason and of course I will run into, meet, encounter every type of person from all kinds of walks, attitudes, and circumstance...... and as long as I've followed one rule I have had few problems.... that "all people" .... deserve respect no matter what their condition or circumstance.... they aren't to be feared.... and you treat everyone they way you want them to treat you, and you'll usually get it back.

I'm sure you were transmitting / communicating your fear , and how would you feel if someone walked into your house .... and then acted suspicious of you, everything you did, staring at you, and acted as if they were afraid of you ? Obviously you were outside your comfort zone, didn't know how to handle it, and had your "feelies" up as a result.

I'm a late nighter... not an early riser, and the "night" doesn't bother me at all ..... I don't look for the bogeyman to jump out from behind a tree, but if he does... it will probably end up a bad day for him.

the world is not Nickelodeon.
    I live in southern NH bro. It's easy to be so critical of my attitude toward hostility, but this stuff almost never happens here. And it wasn't fear that drove up my adrenaline, it was my reaction to the uncertainty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links